Penn State scandal, JoePa and the football/college town complex

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by That Phat Hat, Nov 8, 2011.

1. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    This, to me, is the most plausible and Occam-friendly narrative. They thought, somehow, they could keep it in the family and if they told Sandusky to keep his business off campus, that would be that.

2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    AKA run-of-the mill, big time college athletics BAU.

I had DIII football players at my school acting like they played for Alabama for crissakes

3. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not surprised or concerned about the side trim, and Pitino isn't responsible when a player who gets accused of sexual assault. He's responsible because it happened on his watch, but he can't follow the player around all the time. They have to be able to make the correct choices about where to hang out and what girls to hang out with, leaving nothing to chance in situations that (example) older UK grads and fans might... disapprove of, that sort of thing.

Par. The DUIs are stupid, tho, and so avoidable.

Nor would it have been (at least not the first time) if it had been a kid I cared about and a situation where I had the power to prevent the reporting, so long as no one else was involved.

Now, that's somethiing Pitino could have changed. Maybe the kid came in reading at a first-grade level, I don't know. Probably not.

4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    At my D2 school, a few of us actually got into the admissions records for some fun. The things we found on the applications of, well, most of the football players were hilarious. And sad.

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Assuming he cares. Maybe the kid went from Goodnight Moon to The Cat in the Hat. That's not progress? :D

6. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't agree more -- so let's change your example to someone seeing their neighbor sexually abusing a child, and I think they call in 99.9999999999% of the time they call 911 -- and probably do something to get the child away from the neighbor.

In Penn State's case, everyone who had knowledge looked at these kids as poodles -- or less than human.

7. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not necessarily. The article is about overall donations to the university rather than to the athletics program. A donation over $25,000 will usually be tied to a new endowment with all sorts of legal restrictions (most universities of which I am aware use $25k as their basement level for a new, named endowment). Money donated into existing endowments ($100 from the Ismitjes to put into the soccernutter endowment) are also legally restricted. Most donations are of course given in smaller increments, and those are almost always given for specific programs, including all academic programs, scholarships, and the like. Those cannot be raided for other purposes.

Where money can be taken is from unrestricted gifts to the athletics program.

Most of these folks probably gave to specific programs which impacted their lives in a positive way (a mechanical engineer to her/his academic program, for example), which had little to do directly with what happened with JoePa, Sandusky, the administration, etc. at PSU.

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    More of this, please.

9. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    When was the photo taken? Might be risky trying this again right about now.

...and in a matter of hours, it comes true.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...any-lions-students-protect-joe-paterno-statue

10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Religion forum is that way ----------------------------------------->

Asshole

11. jmartin1966

jmartin1966 Member+

Jun 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Same could be said to the OP, excepting the part about being an asshole (but that could be directed to you).

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not really sure about Pitino and Tubby, but they were mentioned. Calipari approved academic fraud, both at UMem and previously at UMass. But around town (here in Memphis) he was rumored to be all about protecting his team, which meant running interferance for many different things. Also, he took the position at UK not very long before the NCAA came down on UMem. Further, in this town, UMem basketball is the biggest team in town and nobody makes it a secret. The combination of things make it very, very suspicious.
    Well, shit, if college isn't just about education (nice little negative you have there), then there are all sorts of other distractions one can have other than football.
    That is just stupid. Academically, they have some good programs.
    http://www.psu.edu/ur/rankings/ (self plubicity)
    http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ges/rankings/national-universities/top-public (13th overall)

It's cliche, but power corrupts.
    How are these correct choices going to be made when your coach makes the charges go away. The lesson is that poor behavior is protected by somebody in their favor. From the player's POV, it is all about being protected. From the coach's POV, it is all about maintaining power.
    This is the result of standardized testing. Students are unable to think critically.

13. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    I need to google the word "literate" and see what that there word means :confused:

In the meantime, I'll be picking my banjo while my dial-up tries to connect to this here interwebs.

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some do, some don't.

When my wife was performing in music theater shows, she never paid for her own costumes, make-up, or their travel, etc. The people doing all that obtuse modern dance shit didn't pay for their ... whatever the ******** they were wearing...

Trust me, none of that shit generates revenue

15. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Actually, at my wife's old college, the theater deparment actually did turn a small profit, unlike any of the DII sports. Says something for the quality of the theater program and the paucity of entertainment options in that particular town.

Their recent production of the musical Chicago would've generated even more money if she didn't shell out for stage lingerie, which is expensive, and instead did what the beancounters wanted her to do and just outfit the kids in Victoria's Secret. Would've saved money, and generated a lot more money thanks to the guaranteed wardrobe malfunctions. But then the performers might've insisted on being paid.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Nah, just standard tribal behavior. And Penn State will never lack for tribalists, after all it's not exactly a school for the lonely rebel.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Alright, when I was in college I don't recall any student theater where the girls danced around wearing Vickie's Secret outfits. I'm seeing why that production made money.

18. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Instead of banning Penn State from bowl games, force them to play in a bowl game every season- the Lingerie Football Bowl.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Crap: They didn't post Cell Block Tango on youtube.

though again, they were wearing stage lingerie, which LOOKS like Vickie's but is designed to not come off under duress.

20. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bet there were a lot of disappointed college students in the audience.

21. AfrcnHrbMan

AfrcnHrbMan Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Philly
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I hope you don't think I'm stupid enough to be suggesting those things. And yes I know they have some good programs, I went there.

I'm disappointed right now

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  22. Flyin Ryan

Flyin Ryan Member

May 13, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we have to see what the Department of Education is going to do. I don't agree with the notion that no penalties should take place for the organization because innocent people would be harmed. If that's the point of view, why have laws to begin with if we're not going to enforce them? And as far as the football program, Paterno and the linebackers were not overseeing kids getting raped, but Sandusky was allowed to roam free for more than a decade because of his position of influence afforded him by the football program and no one stood up to it. If he was a volleyball coach in contrast, he'd been placed on leave, reported to the real police, eventually fired with cause, and locked up in jail in 1998. That is the ultimate lack of institutional control to use a cliched NCAA term.

A couple days late on this for the discussion here, but here are my thoughts after reading the Freeh report:

23. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm afraid your idea would only encourage testosterone-driven high schoolers to go to PSU.

24. wallacegrommit

Sep 19, 2005
    Why would they want to see guys playing football in women's underwear at Penn State's spring game? Because, I don't know what you were thinking, but that's what I had in mind.