Penn State scandal, JoePa and the football/college town complex

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by That Phat Hat, Nov 8, 2011.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Got this off a board, it's a powerful story if true -

2. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No one knows but his posts are so beautiful that no one cares, either. Don't question - just go with it.

3. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speculation is not normally something I go with, especially from C-Bus sports radio, but they were talking about the GA, McQuery, getting promoted to a paid coaching position after he witnessed the incident. They were talking about he was too young and inexperienced to be promoted so quickly and now we may know the reason why. He's the red head you always see on TV.

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're down with coaches who cover up crimes and misdemeanors. Or at least, when Tom Osborne is the one covering shit up.

6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Gingers.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I know one thing, just because the reported allegations started ten years ago doesn't mean he's only been doing this for ten years.

8. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    If there was some sort of hush money arrangement and I hadn't watched Season 4 of 'The Wire', I may have to go puke somewhere.

9. minerva

minerva Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my bad. I didn't know he has a reputation for this sort of stuff. I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to try to make sense of his post.

10. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not while sober, no.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Do or do not. There is no try...

I was able to translate one or two posts when he was talking fantasy football on the other site (I think it was called Bigfootball) a couple years ago. He seems a cool guy, just difficult to... well, read.

12. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Well, that's certainly not how Arsenal fans feel about it!

At least Osborne won. What's the point of employing a pedophile enabler who can't even win bowl games?

13. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Hey, Penn State's is tied for the most Outback Bowl wins.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    FWIW, Paterno's had six undefeated seasons but five of them didn't result in a national title. His 1982 title team had one loss (Alabama). He's a pedophile enabler whose team got screwed by the poll system more often than not.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't he a 28 year old graduate assistant? To me, it infers the opposite, that at 28 he hadn't gotten a real asst. coach job yet which kind of implies he wasn't that good of a coach.

16. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was driving home and the local sports radio station said they'd seen OJ McDuffie on TV saying there were rumors about Sandusky when he was there, around 1990.

17. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    My point was that he wasn't winning recently. I know he had some good teams in the 80s. But I'm not aware he was actually an enabler back then.

18. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'm guessing that everybody knew there was something funny going on with Sandusky and his peculiar boys' club. It was going on forever and he wasn't discreet in his behavior. The players only knew as rumors to joke about, though. The coaches knew at a different level.

19. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    My soccer club had an older gentlemen who was both on the board (until we forced him off the board due to incompetence), and kept himself involved in the Girls Rec program through coaching some of the younger teams. I have no reason to believe he ever did anything wrong - there were no rumors or anything. But I also told the VP of Girls Rec - we don't need him coaching any teams. He's not that good a coach anyway, and we have enough parents willing to step forward to coach and who have a personal investment and commitment to that team. Let's not even allow the appearance of any impropriety; let's not even create the situation where a single parent will ask themselves the question, "Why is that old geezer coaching my young daughter's team, when he has no relation whatsoever to the team?"

Just felt like sharing.

Chesco United repped this.
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

His winning's dropped off a bit, but that last undefeated season was 1994- not so very long ago. It was the Huskers who won over the pollsters that year. And Osborne himself went through a period in the 80s and early 90s when he'd run up the scores on his conference opposition and then get beat in the Orange Bowl or something. Despite the hype, Osborne's Nebraska dominated CFB for only three or four seasons, sandwiched between the U's coaches and Spurrier/Bowden/the SEC.

No, that's not clear. Yet.

21. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to the PSU website, he was a GA from 2000-2002, 2003 he was an administrative assistant. It doesn't say when he was promoted to wide receivers coach/recruiting coordinator.

22. stanger

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two years ago my daughters coach told us he wanted a parent on the sidelines at every game and to attend every practice. They were u11 at the time and his daughter was on the team. I understood why even though I thought there wasn't much he could do if he wanted to with 10-15 kids in the middle of a park. Better safe...

23. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Paterno IS the boss at Penn State. Yes, he reports to others, but he is the boss.

24. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Yeah, it's not the group of 10-15, but that one girl that gets there early or stays late that's the potential problem.

25. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I remember thinking as a boy that the leaders in my Boy Scout troop who weren't related to an active youth member were to be avoided.

Chesco United repped this.