Payne: "New Young Designated Player Program"

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Autogolazo, Jan 16, 2013.

1. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    By and large, MLS isn't missing out on these kids.

The players you are lamenting over are marginal USL level talents.

The guys that are signing with Bundesliga, EPL level clubs right out of high school or college likely would never sign with MLS no matter what.

The guys that MLS misses out on completely for Scandinavian type leagues (Davies, Tracy, Bedoya) aren't exactly "blowing up" and selling on for massive transfer fees. Davies and Tracy both came back to MLS, Bedoya isn't that far away from winding up.

The problems you are lamenting only exist in your mind. They aren't a reality.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  2. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    We see this all the time when someone gets wound up in the Yanks Abroad forum and comes in here talking about 100s (or in this case 10s) of American players that would be in MLS if only the Salary Cap were higher.

The reality is close to what you say. The real elite players that, for the most part, MLS wouldn't have regardless of Salary Cap. MLS isn't going to participate in the UCL, ever.

The bulk of players that aren't MLS quality. Brad Rusin springs to mind. I've seen folks in YA forums talk about him needing to be called up to the USMNT. He was a very good player in the U.S. - for the Carolina RailHawks. At the very best, these players are replacement level players.

Finally there is a small group of players that could contribute in MLS, but many of them play overseas because it's something they want to try. Chris Rolfe went overseas not because the Fire didn't offer to pay him, but because he had the opportunity to do something cool and different. And, just like so many others, he wound up back in the U.S.

SourCream&OnionUtd and Jasonma repped this.
  3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    boloni, look at it this way.

1, How much does it cost to develop an MLS level pro, once you factor in all the washouts?
    2. How much is an MLS level pro worth?

That, right there, is the issue. It barely costs out for an MLS team to run minimal academies, to basically use local pay-to-play clubs to bring the cream to the top and then skim it off when the kids are 15 or so years old. It doesn't come close to costing out for an MLS team to run a regional youth development system, with, for example, the Crew having an academy that goes down to U8 in Columbus, with satellites in Cincinnati and Cleveland and Louisville and so forth.

Throw in the fact that there's this whole other system of pay-to-play and college scholarships that costs MLS not one damn dime and that contributes enough Woolard-Wells Thompson-Jeff Parke level players, and you're basically whining because MLS owners aren't spending enough of their money on your wishlist.

Jasonma and TheJoeGreene repped this.
  4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I don't necessarily put anything on the owners.

It's the players that are choosing to go. For most of them there would be a roster spot somewhere in the country to take advantage of if they were willing to stay.

This is what happens when players don't hit the pro ranks until they're 20+ on average. For example Brazil has a lot of 20 year olds going abroad, but by the time they're 20 they've already been on the first team roster for their clubs for 2-4 years with first team appearances on the resume.

The solution would be for American development systems to be so strong that no American would want to give up the opportunity to go through them. I don't have all the answers to get to that point, but it seems like things are getting better with the MLS academies and hopefully the new USL reserve partnership. I still wish college soccer programs were more all consuming with longer seasons and more ambitious development programs ... but that's probably wishful thinking

5. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Franco di Santo
    Alberto Costa
    these two Argentinian internationals was partially developed in youth academies of Argentina but signed first professional contracts not in Argentina. if I dig deep enough, I'm pretty sure I can find 8 more...

Boloni86 repped this.
  6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Many, many Argentinians from the Jujuy province go directly to play as pros in Bolivia. I know that Ariel Ortega's family was considering this before they took him for trials in River Plate.

7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Allez RSL and profiled repped this.
  8. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  9. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    But the league must've signed the loan deal with AS Fortuna in advance for Eloundou (is Atouba on a loan?) Who's paying for the loan, the league or the club?

And there's this:

The Rapids had a 73.5 percent chance of landing the rights to the player, beating out Real Salt Lake (19.7 percent) and D.C. United (6.8 percent).

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...nd-cameroonian-international-eloundou-lottery

So only 3 teams were interested, I'm guessing the % was determined by finish last year (incl. playoffs), and now Colorado won't be able to participate in the next _______ weighted lottery.

What mechanism is this that we've ever known before?

Fill in the blank.

10. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    The league. Just like they were on all the other international players that teams have taken on through the draft in years past.

11. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The league, just like every other deal that is ever done since it's a single entity structure.

12. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the questions was more along the lines of "Who is going to cover the cap hit for the loan fee, the Rapids or MLS?"

That is a good question.

13. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Precisely.

And this is what's so interesting to me:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...nd-cameroonian-international-eloundou-lottery

Eloundou was available to MLS clubs via lottery due to the fact that he was signed to an MLS contract before the SuperDraft, but he did not obtain his visa in time to make him available for the MLS Player Combine or the SuperDraft

So what happened to the Honduran who wasn't picked? The Ecuadoran? The Colombian? Pinho, the Brazilian, was just barely taken in the Supp. Draft and I'm sure there was no guarantee of that.

Were those guys also signed before the SuperDraft? I doubt it.

For MLS to sign the players ahead of time, they had to know that they were of a quality to certainly be taken. By pedigree, that seems to describe the two young Cameroonian players only.

Eloundou was in serious talks with FC Zurich two months ago--deeper water than I imagine most of MLS's previous int'l combine invitees have been in.

14. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    I could find two of his current club teammates, though, Cesc (Arsenal) and Pique (Man Utd) who were largely developed at La Masia and then bolted for England to start their senior careers. Barca got them both back, but in Cesc's case at great cost.

I thought I heard that there was some sort of transfer subsidy in this case.

15. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Okay, now I'm intrigued.

If they are under contract, there has to be some escape clause that provides they need to be claimed in some way and moved to an MLS roster -- absent that, perhaps they receive some limited payment or expenses, but that's it.

Still, how would this work with the discovery process? I'd think there must be some potential for overlap.

16. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    I don't think teams would have even heard of these guys to put discovery labels on them.

Or do you mean the straight-up discovery of players by scouting?

Problem there is that the team would get the cap hit for the loan fee if they did it on their own--perfect example is Milton Caraglio at the Revs, a player young enough at the time to be considered a "young DP", whose pro-rated loan fee made him a DP in the first place.

If the league had signed Caraglio, then allocated through a weighted lottery the way it did Eloundou, what some of the posters upthread are saying is that the league would eat the loan fee on that one and it wouldn't hit the cap. Which changes the equation dramatically.

Eloundou has no Combine or collegiate history, but his pedigree and the mechanism by which he comes into the league is such that three teams jumped at the chance to take him sight unseen.

And again--you can't have a weighted lottery without calling it something or without there being "consequences" for the team that takes him in the form of not getting to participate in the next one. Otherwise, why didn't they just throw Eloundou's name into the pool for the Superdraft and provide teams with all the scouting info on him at that point?

17. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    I was thinking of the normal scouting process. Unless MLS focuses only on players no one has on their radar, would a discover claim trump MLS signing a player for this program? I would think so, but, as you suggest, the team may be stuck with a cap charge for the loan fee if they claim him that way, so we may see some strange situations were teams would rather try and claim the player through this allocation process.

Which begs the question, if only players who participate in some allocation lottery can be young DPs, doesn't that provide something of a disincentive for teams that invest in scouting to find players? If a team really discovers a young player who is in every way equal to the players in this young DP program and files a claim and wants him, why wouldn't MLS absorb that loan fee too? Or will it?

18. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Why wouldn't MLS absorb the loan fee? While they are both youth DP spots they are still quite a bit different. This new rumored youth DP spot is in addition to a teams normal DP spots. So teams can essentially have FOUR DPs. A team can sign their youth DP/s that they found on their own and then have another one which comes via this new allocation.

And because they are DPs, they are going to count the same against the cap regardless of any loan fee. The only thing that will factor in is what age bracket they fall into for youth dp purposes.

19. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Rapids. Guys on loan aren't exempt from the cap. Juninho wasn't free for the Galaxy because he was on loan last season. No on loan player is.

20. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    They won't be DPs unless/until they're purchased--the year they spend on loan in MLS is "on the house" except for the nominal cap hit by a likely sub-$100K salary (if history is any guide).

If Eloundou has a breakout year in Colorado, the Rapids can then tell the league they want to purchase the player, and then whatever figure his full 2014 salary + the transfer fee reaches will still only hit the cap at $200K.

21. asoc

asoc Member+

Sep 28, 2007
    Tacoma
    Why are you bringing up Eloundou anyways? MLS stated why he went in an allocation.
    Eloundou doesn't fit the criteria for what Payne was describing.

From the original report, it doesn't sound the way you are portraying it.

Besides, a DP is about the cap hit, not whether the player is on loan or fully purchased.

So, from what Payne was saying, they WILL be DPs from the start. And it sounds like they will have their own allocation system in place for it.

22. PhillyMLS

PhillyMLS Member+

Oct 24, 2000
    SE PA
    I actually don't think that is right in relation to players taken in the draft. Most of the previous players taken in the draft were on loan from another club, so there was a loan fee most likely associated with it. However, to the best of my knowledge, they only counted the league minimum against the cap (from what I remember reading). I don't think that MLS would make the team eat the loan fee as well since it would likely result in teams passing on pretty much every international in the draft (non-college ones I mean). What I believe happens is MLS uses their scouting network to find a couple players that they think might be good additions to the league and make them available to the teams at the league minimum. Then if they show well it is up to the team to pay the money to buy the player's rights. I think there is a difference in how the loan fees are assessed for league found talent (internationals in the superdraft) and club found talent. That is just my assumption though.

23. triplet1

Jul 25, 2006
    Let's back up and make sure we have the same understanding of who pays what for DPs now.

My understanding is that DPs are signed by the league like every other player, but, unless allocation money is applied*, any cost of acquiring and paying the player over the cap charge -- $350,000* -- is billed back to the I/O. In other words, the cost of the player includes the sum of: (a) wages. plus (b) any transfer fee or loan fee to the extent they apply. Now, the rules don't exactly say that -- the rules note that the club is "bearing financial responsibility for the amount of compensation above each player’s budget charge", but we know loan and transfer fees count as compensation against the cap from previous DPs.

Let's try an example. Say a typical DP signs a one year deal. The player's wages are $500,000, with a loan fee of $500,000, for a total cost of $1 million. MLS will pay $350,000, and the I/O will be billed for the remaining $650,000. The cap charge is also $350,000.

Now, the same example with $500,000 in wages and a $500,000 loan fee, but with a 22 year old player. The cap charge is reduced to $200,000**, which gives the team more room under the cap, but the I/O pays more -- $800,000 in this case.

Finally, under this new young DP program, my question is whether the loan fee is added in to the player cost? If it isn't, the I/O will pay less, because he's being billed back only for the wages over the cap charge, not the loan fee. If the cap charge is the same -- $200,000 -- if MLS picks up the $500,000 loan fee, it pays $700,000, while the I/O pays $300,000. Potentially, it's a huge difference in cost to the I/O.

Is this accurate, or do people understand this differently?

* MLS says, " In 2012, a Designated Player over the age of 23** will carry a salary budget charge of $350,000, unless the player joins his club in the middle of the season, in which case his budget charge will be $175,000 . . . Clubs have the option of “buying down” the budget charge of a Designated Player with allocation money. The reduced charge may not be less than $150,000."

** MLS says "a Designated Player 20 years old or younger** counts as $150,000 against the club’s salary budget and a Designated Player 21-23 years old counts as $200,000 against the club’s salary budget."

http://www.mlssoccer.com/2012-mls-roster-rules

24. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    These last few posts is exactly why this is so tedious. Just let the clubs find and pay for whatever DP they want at whatever age. Keep MLS FO out of it.

25. Autogolazo

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    All I know is that Joao Plata is the poster child for this draft/youth DP situation, and the way his case played out may have influenced the league:

--International combine invitee
    --Drafted by TFC
    --Originally on loan from LDU de Quito in 2011
    --Cap hit in 2011: $42K
    --Purchased by TFC for a reported $500K in Jan. 2012: http://www.wakingthered.com/2012/11/1/3586254/joao-plata-toronto-fc-ldu-quito-loan
    --Cap hit in 2012: $50K

So how in the world did that $500K (or even $150K-200K of it for youth DP) not hit TFC's cap?

But the league is the one who brought him to the Combine in the first place, so penalizing a team for taking him in the draft, playing him and having him succeed enough to be bought would seem ludicrous. It's not as if TFC picked the player, the league brought him in.

Now let's look at Eloundou--league-selected, league-signed, 18 years old, and of a quality that 3 teams wanted in on the allocation sight unseen. That's something new. Even a guy like Pinho who performed well in the combined fell to the Supp. Draft.

And....Eloundou just a got a call-up to the full Cameroon national team for a friendly in Tanzania.

Two other things:

--MLS isn't going to sign a loan with a young player unless they're certain that his quality will find takers in the league.
    --MLS almost certainly isn't going to buy a young player outright without proof of what he can do in the league. Loan-to-buy is the only way for a league-scouted young DP program to work.

Eloundou checks about 90% of the boxes toward what Payne was talking about.

Allez RSL repped this.