Pato vs. Bojan Krikic

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Mojam5, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Menguista

Menguista New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I was disappointed when he missed those 2 shots on Milan second goal, but he is far more clinical than that, even though he has a lot to improve on his shooting I think (because he is just too young, but I believe he is an excellent finisher already)

I feel that way too, even though I watched very few of his games.....

Btw, I found out just now that a chilean youngster named Alexis Sanchez is playing on loan for River..... I've seen 4 or 5 of his games for Colo Colo on the Libertadores and he also greatly impressed me........ anyone knows how he is doing in Argentina??

2. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    He was doing well, but I think he got injured later in the season and with River having no title shot at all, they rested most of their best players and decided to just give the young players a chance

3. CPonder14

CPonder14 Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Pato is also alot bigger than Aguero, and is just as quick as him. Aguero has a little better technique, but does not have as good of a header as Pato, and seems too get too excited out there. They both are good finishers.

I rate Pato higher than him because he is more complete, and he makes the game look so effortless.

4. CPonder14

CPonder14 Member

Jan 14, 2008
    I think your just underrating him to be honest.

5. rochester rhinos

rochester rhinos New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    under a pipal tree
    Dont u mean Messi?

6. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Pato is 3 inches taller than Aguero. That's not "alot bigger". Aguero isn't as good heading as Pato but he's still pretty good for his size. At least 5 of his goals this seaosn have been headers.

He's more complete in what sense? Aguero doesn't make it look effortless? Honestly what have you seen of Aguero?

7. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Err no. How exactly is Pato at Messi's level? Are you serious? Messi is one of the best players in the world. Pato is not.

8. CPonder14

CPonder14 Member

Jan 14, 2008
    I'm talking about when Messi was 17/18 years old.

9. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Have you seen Pato head a soccer ball?

I don't know if Menguista's statements are hyperbolic or if he is rating potential vs. potential (in which case they're far from hyperbolic), but I don't think he's exaggerating on the heading ability.

Seriously, you want to show someone how to hit a header, show them Pato doing it. Half the pros in this game close their eyes when they head a ball. 99% of the pros don't hit it as consciously as he does even with their eyes open. He has an amazing awareness for that skill, regardless of age. If he is able to keep doing it as he did in the U-20 South American championships he will be noted for it.

10. CPonder14

CPonder14 Member

Jan 14, 2008
    3 inches is a pretty big difference IMO. Aguero does make it look effortless, but not as much as Pato IMO. When you watch Pato it seems like he isn't even trying.

He is more complete in the sense, that they both have great finishing ability, Aguero has a little better technique, Pato has a better header, both are equally as quick with Pato being bigger. Both are average, below average defensively. Each can use both feet equally. I just rate Pato more complete mainly because of his heading ability.

I have seen Aguero on the u20 side(2 games), and A Madrid(6 games), and i ahve seen highlights of him at Independiente.

11. Menguista

Menguista New Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Re: Pato vs. Bojan Krkic

He actually is, too, I guarantee you that. People just don't know him too well to consider him one of them. Or maybe he will disappoint me and take a year or two to adapt and really get to Messi's level.
    But that's about it. All difference I see between these two is 1 or 2 years of maturity and 1st team experience in one of the best teams in the world for Messi. He started a little sooner than Pato, and has a good advantage on being raised as a player in Barcelona, making it far easier for him to adapt to the european game and lifestyle, while Pato only arrived 6 months ago. Other than that, it's just a matter of time before Pato shows his game and get to the top. Of course they have very different playing styles too, and it makes the comparison between them more prone to personal tastes.....

12. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    I've seen Pato alot. South American U-20's, Internacional(Re-copa, Libertadores, CWC), and the U-20 WC.

He's not one of the top 10 headers of the ball that I've seen in my life.

13. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Personally I rate Aguero's finishing and dribbling better than Pato's.

So you haven't seen him that much.

Here's a nice little analysis Marca.com did on him:

http://www.marca.com/edicion/marca/otros_deportes/graficos/es/desarrollo/1079288.html

It's in Spanish though.

14. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo

Pato has the potential to be one of the best players in the world and he has the potential to be as good as Messi. Currently he is not. I don't see how anyone that's not a biased Brazilian could argue that.

Let him develop and let him start performing consistently for Milan before you make these claims.

15. Kulspruta

Kulspruta New Member

Jul 26, 2007
    BH, Brazil
    Club:
    Cruzeiro Belo Horizonte
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Do all good argentinean players have to score a goal with their hands pretending it was their heads?

16. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Seems like it.

17. Menguista

Menguista New Member

Jan 15, 2008

As I said, he is 1-2 years behind Messi, so he can't possibly have showed more than Messi did, and has to prove himself as Messi did for these last 2 years, I don't deny it. But I think he already has the skills to be as good as Messi. It's not about potential, because I think he already has the talent to be compared to Messi (and both have much room for development), it's about establishing themselves, and of course Lionel is a much more established player. And it's about time, not the team he's played in (I won't underestimate what he showed in his time in Inter or the U20 brazilian team in opposition to clubs as Milan or Barça). But, if you prefer, I'll compare Pato to the 1-2 years ago Messi from when he had the same number of games under his belt that Pato has today, and I'll say they're at the same level.

About being biased, at least give me some credit for letting myself get carried away by a very good player, and by some truly amazing movements and finishes he already showed (see any Pato video), and not any guy that can make one or two flashy tricks...... I think I'm not saying stuff so absurd you can't take it as a simple divergence of opinions...

18. Cirdan

Cirdan Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Jena (Germany)
    Mmh... I'd like to throw in Bayerns Toni Kroos, who won the golden Ball in the U17 WC 2007 (ahead of Krkic) and is hyped in Germany as the next world star, plus HSVs Macauly Chrisantus, who was top scorer and got the silver Ball in the same tournament, again ahead of Krkic, but is not nearly as hyped as the other three (maybe not playing in a top European club (or not playing at all ^^) and not playing for a major football nt is helping him there, but since none of the last wpos played at a really big club when they were younger than 20, I doubt that this hurts in his development)

I bet that at best one of those 4 will ever be World player of the year, one will probably crumble because of injurys and/or mental problems and the other two will be good, but never live up to the expectations that are put in them right now. But I have no idea who will be what, let's speak again in 3 years, when they are at least 20...

19. bosterosoy

bosterosoy New Member

Jan 22, 2007
    In a House
    I think many people here are confusing POTENTIAL will CURRENT SKILL

20. Jawz10

Jawz10 Moderator

Feb 27, 1999
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    AC Milan
    When I saw Aguero at 16/17 I was amazed at the maturity he had in his finishing and scoring. He looked, and still does look like a young Romario. WHen I see Pato play at Internacional and at Milan I see the same thing, an amazing level of understanding for how to finish and score. The only difference is that Pato is playing in Serie A, which IMO either makes or breaks a player. In Serie A he's going to learn how to be a matchwinner, clinical, decisive like all the great Serie A strikers before him. Look at Kaka's growth, he wouldn't be the same player having played the last 4 years anywhere else.

21. Hendrixforpope

Hendrixforpope Member+

Barcelona
    Brazil
    Dec 15, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    There are too many player A vs. player B threads

22. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Agreed.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY

That's like saying the only difference between Messi at birth and Maradona was first-team football and 25 years of maturity and development.

It's a completely meaningless statement .

24. Menguista

Menguista New Member

Jan 15, 2008

Messi has a little more experience, but not enough to put him on a different level than Pato, just enough to make him a little better right now....

25. Blue-and-White

Blue-and-White New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Canada

If you look at what Messi did at the U20 World Cup and at what Pato did at the U20 World Cup than there is no comparison between these two players at a similar age.