Past U20 groups -- some numbers and observations

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Nov 22, 2013.

1. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Dave Marino-Nachison repped this.
  2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
  3. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Or, even better, just sit around and wait for all the nice people here to do my work for me.

Thanks, @Hararea and @USvsIRELAND.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    • I count 59 professionals at all levels; the rest (subject to correction) are Chevannes, Will Hall, Andrew Kartunen, Kevin Long, Brandon Owens, Robby "Not Robbie" Rogers, Bryant Rueckner, Steve Sandbo, Karl Schilling, Ryan Soroka and Darren Yeagle[/quote]
    FWIW, I believe Andrew Kartunen was employed by MLS as an emergency pool goalkeeper for a year or two. You may or may not count something like that.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #30 Clint Eastwood, Dec 6, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
    Steve Sandbo is an interesting case too, right? He was a US youth keeper thru many levels (U15, U17, U18, U20). He had a good if unspectacular NCAA career down the street here at SMU, but it was good enough to earn him an invitation to the MLS combine in about 2008 or so.

He decided to turn it down and pursue another career. (Investment banker or something like that.)

When you look on linkedin, he's now some sort of Venture Capitalist big-shot. He seemingly made a very astute career decision by forgoing soccer...................

upload_2013-12-6_8-47-0.png

6. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Thanks. Yeah, that's an interesting one. I will probably veer toward counting Kartunen, since a contract is a contract, but this is sure an odd case. He never played and I have no idea how many times he even dressed for a team, if ever -- seems to have spent some time with the Wizards, but not sure how much.

Generally I have been calling a player a pro if they ever signed a contract, but this is a bit less clear.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    For what its worth Darren Yeagle is still in the game. He went into coaching and for a long time was doing youth coaching around his hometown of Louisville. I think he was working with MVSC, and we just had a kid from that club called up to the US U18s, '97 Grant Holkamp. [I think Grant has since moved to another club. Indiana Fire or something like that.]

8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Darren also did play professionally, but indoors. I'm inclined not to include that for the purpose of this list. Anybody know if he ever played professionally outdoors at any level?