Past Dynamo Players (Where are they now?)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Jun 6, 2009.

1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    i couldn't find Ade, but i wouldn't mind being the meat in a Celtic Soccerette and Newcastle Soccerette sandwich. my wife walked by and said "what the hell are you watching!".

you know i've always been fascinated not by the Messi's or Henry's of the world (those i just sit back and enjoy), but by the Landin's and Adu's. the skill is evident as well as the mental block.

2. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think you bring up a good point here. You have a Clint Dempsey, Michael Bradley and Jay Demerit that have this "desire" in them to win and achieve and then you have players like Adu, Landin and Clint Mathis who have this crazy kind of skill but the desire to get up to their potential is not there.

3. yossarin

yossarin Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  4. bmantx

bmantx Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    End of the road for Bobcat?

"Red Bull New York announced today that it has waived defender Kevin Goldthwaite.

Goldthwaite, who was acquired from Toronto FC in exchange for defender Todd Dunivant on June 27, 2007, has not featured in a game for New York this season due to injury. During his time with New York, Goldthwaite appeared in 54 regular season matches, scoring two goals and two assists."

5. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    what's really funny about the Chronicle's transaction wire about the move-"New York Red Bulls-Waived D Kevin Goldwaite. Women's Professional Soccer"

obviously an editorial miss but pretty funny

6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Tony Caig is now the backup GK and keeper coach for League One Carlisle United. His bio there omits he was ever here. The feeling is mutual, though I fear he has made one too many shockers (his Dallas appearance come to mind) to scrub him from our memorybanks.

7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Omitted Section from Bio:

2008 - Houston Dynamo (MLS)
    - Imitated an orange traffic construction cone for defending MLS Cup champs
    - Was lobbed multiple times in MLS & CONCACAF Champions' Cup play, including running by the ball at Saprissa
    - Attempted to block balls without using his arms or hands, redirecting a ball into the net with his chest vs. New England
    - Gave up more goals on shots outside of the box in MLS play than any other keeper on a per minute played basis
    - Noticeably lowered the morale of the on-field players with his unsteady play

2008 - Personal Highlights
    - Used his throwing ability to win the local Brazoria County FFA Cow Chip Throwing Championship
    - Introduced team to previously unseen Benny Hill episodes

8. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    What amuses me is he is a professional GK coach.

9. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Top 10 Ridiculously Overpriced British Players Of All Time

http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/e...lously-overpriced-british-players-of-all-time

6) ADE AKINBIYI

Wolves to Leicester City - £5.5m (2000)

Dubbed by some Leicester fans as ?Ade Akinbadbuyi?, the Hackney-born striker will be best remembered from his disastrous spell at Filbert Street for his crazy, eye-popping celebration after finally scoring his first goal for the club against Ipswich. The rest of his two year-spell was dominated by open goal misses, first touches longer than Michel Platini passes, and just 11 goals in 58 league appearances. The one-time Nigerian international was sold to Crystal Palace in 2002.

10. mabeuf

mabeuf Member

Jul 22, 2006
    West
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    brutally outstanding

11. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    I guess the link I posted doesn't link directly to the video, but he called the Dynamo the worst decision of his life. Of course, the idiot moved everything including his car to the US from England.

12. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh...the feeling is mutual from here.

13. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Wow. Fk that dude.

Btw - isn't the English steering wheel on the right? Pendexo!

14. truthandlife

truthandlife Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't think Ade said that at all about the Dynamo and MLS. Here is an interview that he gave in July.

http://www.givemefootball.com/league-two/pfa-exclusive-interview-ade-akinbiyi

Q: You came to County on the back of time with the Houston Dynamos in America. What was that experience like?

A: I had an interesting time in the MLS, and whilst the standard of football isn’t any better than what I’ve played in during my career, it’s definitely improving.

The whole David Beckham thing has had an impact, and with Thierry Henry going there it shows that they are willing to invest. The issue of contracts is a little different, and something they might need to look into in the future, but it was fun.

With lots of travelling and different climates at every game you play, it can be quite difficult to get into a rhythm. But, I know lots of players who are thinking about going over there at the later stages of their career, so that obviously isn’t putting people off.

15. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I think he was planning on working as a postal carrier after training.

16. La Diva

La Diva Member

Apr 27, 2010
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Bolton vs Fulham on FSC, Stuie's playing and looking good!

17. Munchlaxatives

Aug 13, 2008
    Houston
    Yeah, had their best opportunity for a goal, he hit the post on the near side.

They were talking about moving him to holding midfielder late in the game, did he ever play there for the Dynamo? I remember him playing some defense early on, but not in the past few years.

18. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kamara and Wondo are still scoring goals...

19. mabeuf

mabeuf Member

Jul 22, 2006
    West
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    never that I can recall. Always on the wings as a sub, then as A-Mid after De-Ro left.

20. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    No - he always played midfield, with the reserves or first team with Houston. And never "defensive midfield", always more of an attacking mid or outside mid. I do think he improved his defense over the time at Houston, early on I don't remember him getting stuck in at all on tackles or trying to win the ball, while later in his career he tracked back well and did contribute defensively both with the reserves and also with the first team.

21. dynamofan

dynamofan Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Houston
    Yeah, they have 7 goals each, total of 14 goals.

Meanwhile, no forward on Houston has more than 3, and ALL FORWARDS for Houston have 8 total goals. I know it doesn't translate from team to team, maybe neither Kamara or Wondo would be doing what they're doing now if they were playing in Houston, but you do have to wonder what the Dynamo would be doing if they had those two players instead of Oduro, Weaver, and Landin for the full year.

Kamara is a bit of a headcase, so I understand Dom getting rid of him. But I still wonder why Dom never gave Wondo more of a chance to play. I think he (Dom) got hung up on his vision of tall, very physical forwards, or very speedy forwards, and Wondo didn't fit either mold so didn't get the chance. Anyway, he's one of the ex-Dynamo that I follow and root for, he was a class guy in Houston. I'm very happy to see the success he's had, as they say, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

22. mabeuf

mabeuf Member

Jul 22, 2006
    West
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I recall Wondo getting tons of shots. Hell we played him up-top, at A-Mid and on the wing.

I love to see him succeeding, every time I met him he was entirely down to earth and a nice guy. After trying it with us for 3 years it just was not going to happen.

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wondo always seemed like the ultimate US professional soccer tweener - leading scorer in reserve league history I think - probably would rack up goals at the USL/MLS reserve levels but not quite good enough to start in MLS, or at least Dom didn't see him as good enough to get an extended starting run as a forward.

But with getting the time he's getting the goals. Most are of the worker-type scramble variety but with his decent speed he's creating his own luck. Well deserved.

24. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    reminds me of the time me, Dr. Ludicrous and Anderson were at the reserve match and cheering for the King of the Reserves wildly and find out his mother is sitting in front us. I think she thought we were farting off her kid.