Past Dynamo Players (Where are they now?)

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by truthandlife, Jun 6, 2009.

1. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    well, we do during the preseason

redinthemorning repped this.
  2. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    road trip!

redinthemorning and troutseth repped this.
  3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  4. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    Heft repped this.
  5. SogeJ

SogeJ Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  6. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
  7. brahmafutbol

brahmafutbol Member+

Jan 29, 2006
    East Bernard, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm seeing disturbing tweets on Twitter that Stuart Holden has injured his knee after 22 minutes. He went down clutching knee and could not continue.

9. Bradford 10

Bradford 10 Member

Feb 5, 2013
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Oh man, that kills me. It just doesn't seem fair. I was there at the first Robertson game and have seen a lot of great Dynamo players, but I always had a soft spot for Stewie. I hope it isn't as bad as it sounds for once.

10. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holden was subbed off after 22 minutes. However he was able to walk off under his own power. Bolton has clarified what the problem was yet.

11. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I love Stewie but he is hard headed. He is agreat box to box midfielder but he went into tackles too much. At one point in the EPL he led the league in tackles attempted while playing the role of a more defensive midfielder for Bolton.
    His body and frame just isn't built for that kind of constant abuse. Couple that with rushing back too soon each time after injury wasn't wise. Courageous and bold man but he might have jeopardized his remaining playing career by pushing too fast too far for the World Cup.

12. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just amazes me how someone at the professional level can come back too soon. With all the trainers and doctors evaluating your progress. I mean you have practices and training almost every day of the week surely you can see when a player isnt ready. This isnt a concussion or something like that... its a knee, and i feel like if it is weak or troublesome someone should notice?

13. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Maybe Holden knew the risks. I agree, you'd think that someone would warn him to take a year off to fully heal.

14. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or maybe he didn't come back too soon? Maybe he came back exactly on the best timeline according to the best medical knowledge available. Why would one assume differently? Just because it did not go well?

bford repped this.
  15. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Really have to feel for Holden. He has become this generation's John O'Brien. A player with tremendous potential who just could not get away from injuries. No idea how serious this one is, but he is on a plane back to the US which is not a good size. If it is a significant knee injury, that makes 3 in the last few years. It is incredibly difficult to come back from that no matter how much work you put in.

TX Bill repped this.
  16. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think the risks were calculated. The clock is ticking so it may have been worth a shot, but it seems more time to strengthen knees was needed, though I may be wrong.

17. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Really tragic for Holden and fans. One of my favorite local sports heroes.

18. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just needs to take a year to get back healthy, put on the Orange and help us win something again. I would approve of him as a DP.

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He took the risk and the money going to England in the first place. Sure, injuries could happen just as easily here in MLS but in England it seems in the midfield there are plenty of guys eager to bring the wood.

At this point, What would you pay him in MLS knowing he's 50/40 to rip up a knee?

20. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Stuart Holden was getting stuck in himself. He led the Barclay's Premier League in tackles. He has a lot of heart, and plays that way. I think it's a case of getting seriously injured, and then the body never recovering, and being vulnerable.

21. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    provided we still have his rights and don't have to use anything to get him (allocation $, etc.), straight up comes back to us after rehabbing fully (assuming the worse) and is ready to go opening day 2015-I'd be willing to pay him no more than 120K, assuming we can that space at the end of the season. No more. and I think a full 120K is generous.

The_Ponce repped this.
  22. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    At the risk of stirring controversy, I would not bring Stuart Holden in for anything other than league minimum. The Dynamo need another midfielder like they need a hole in their head. I'd take a salary risk for a potentially dangerous striker or a solid center back. I would not do so for a center midfielder. Nothing with Stu, I love him, but purely a numbers game.

23. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    Of course this assuming for next season-things can change. Of course these are hypothetical speculations anyway (for the sake of discussion), but things change. A couple of season ago we had a plethora of CBs. Then bam, a few injuries later we scrambling around.

The interesting thing with Stu-if he played a CAM or DM (but offensive minded) he could fit a role. But of course that's dependent on how this Boniek in the middle thing works. Didn't work out so well the couple times we tried it in the past.

24. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Forget the numbers game. Move some midfield pieces if you have to....if he comes back at anything approaching a reasonable price, you sign him.

Heft repped this.
  25. camicia arancione

Jan 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That straight legged, studs up tackle that caused the original injury would have destroyed anyone's knee, so I disagree that his frame or frequency going into tackles had anything to do with it. Coming back too soon, perhaps. It may just be that the original injury involved so much damage that he never really had a chance at a full recovery. One of my favorite players ever, but if this injury is bad enough that he needs further major surgery, he really ought to seriously consider retirement.

redinthemorning, DonJuego and Heft repped this.