Parkhurst as a full-back option

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Dec 15, 2009.

1. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not to be to critical, but how can you say Parkhurst is below Lichaj and TC on the depth chart? Parkhurst is getting called into every camp, and starts matches when Johnson (and Castillo) were hurt. Lichaj and TC don't even get called in.

For me, our FB depth chart looks pretty simple:
    RB: Cherundolo, Parkhurst, Spector
    LB: F. Johnson, Castillo, Parkhurst, Spector

2. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst seems to be brought down more by the fact that he plays in Denmark and being a late bloomer than anything else. People don't see a lot of potential growth in him at age 28 like they do Lichaj at age 24. All Parkhurst has done is become one of the best right backs in Denmark and a consistently good player. Kudos to Scotty for bringing this thread up THREE years ago. :eek:

3. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me Parkhurst is serviceable I see him as another Orosco. I hope one day we can shoot higher than the Parkhusts of the world.

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orozco struggles to get on the field for one of the worst teams in Mexico. Parkhurst is one of the best players in Denmark at his position and has more than held his own in the Champion's league against Chelsea and Juventus.

jakepc42 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  5. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True, I'm going from what I see of Park on the field for the NATS. He is not fast enough but is decent. he doesn't move up too much but he doesn't get burn either. I just don't don't see nothing special from his game.

6. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While Parkhurst is no doubt a better defender than Orozco, I agree with you to a certain extent. Complete credit to Parkhurst's success lately, he is just not on the level of our other fullback's (Johnson, Cherundolo, Castillo, Lichaj, Cameron Chandler).

7. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that two games?

One on a terrible field in Jamaica and one out of position at leftback?

Don't get me wrong Parkhurst isn't our version of Dani Alves but he is good.

8. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Parkhurst is easily among the two very best right backs in the Danish Superliga, with the other being a regular starter for the Danish NT... In my opinion Parkhurst is of good Spanish La Liga quality...

I think ppl in this forum are fooled by the fact that he is a very late bloomer, so he is very far from the player he was, when he signed with FC Nordsjælland... back then he had great trouble getting in their starting 11 as centre back... but after trying him in different positions, they finally decided to reinvent him as right back, where he just has grown better and better over the past two years.

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Lichaj-what has he done?

Martin Fischer repped this.
  10. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    it is also worth mentioning that Parky is a very intelligent player. He very rarely makes a mistake-quite a nice feature for a defender.

11. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Btw, I think players like Parkhurst, Aron Jóhannsson and Conor O'Brien very much show why it is a good idea moving to the Danish Superliga... because they have all been reinvented into playing other positions than they were used to when they came to Denmark, and then all of a sudden they developed into a great success.

In bigger leagues they would probably just have been benched and forgotten, while Danish clubs do not give up on players that easily, if they do not develop quite as well as expected in the position where they were suppose to be good.

12. SOCCERMARINE

SOCCERMARINE Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst made some good runs against Chelski and Juventus and held his own in Defense

13. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Which is also why FCN never gave up on him, when he was a bit of a disappointment as centre back... they could see the potential and skills was there, it was just a question of finding the right position for him.

ChrisSSBB repped this.
  14. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    HE certainly won't be putting today's performance on his resume.

15. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    good points-and Denmark is also a nice place to live and almost everyone can speak English. The Danish girls are also another nice feature!

16. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Leave their women alone.

Thanks for all the posts, Ceres.

17. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh come on we need to get started on the 2030 U-17 Generation, Denmark is a good place to start.

18. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    precisely.

19. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not too much besides playing in arguably the best league in the world at 23...

Granted, he struggles at that from time to time..

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    hardly plays. He fills in when someone is hurt, suspended. Count me as unimpressed. I would rather go with someone who is a star in Denmark (Parky) or a star in MLS. If he plays regularly as a starter and does well, that would be a very different story.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

.... and that seems to be more due to his Polish passport than anything else. I'd venture a bet that if Beitashour had a Greek passport instead of an Iranian one and was a free agent, he could sign onto a relegation candidate and get playing time.

22. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really true. He actually plays all the time, starts sometimes. Paul Lambert still really doesnt know who he wants to start at fullback. In terms of who I would rather have start on the national team, I would definitely say Parkhurst right now so I agree with you. Does that mean Parkhurst is better? No, just on better form. Its extremely tough to say how good Parkhurst really is and how well he would do week in and week out in a higher class league. I personally really hope he moves after this Danish season to show how good he truly is.

23. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    & you honestly think he'd play as much as Lichaj does? Beitashour isnt much more than a good MLS defender and great at crossing for a fullback in MLS but honestly I think Beita could struggle to find much time on a Championship side. I dont think thats a good example of what you're trying to portray but on the other hand, I dont have to much to back up my theory on Beitashour, now do I? ;)

24. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the players on the low end of the premiership are often around the same quality as good MLS players. It always depends on a teams depth chart and some teams are much worse than others, (Derby, Hull etc) but generally I'd say if you are a top player at your position in MLS you'd probably find a spot on a relegation fighting team in England. I think Beitashour is one of the best right backs in MLS and would find a spot if he were available and wanted to sign there. Of course real life factors mean salary demands, transfer fees, lifestyle changes and so on are factors that mean that players don't automatically gain promotion to better leagues simply based on merit like says a baseball player.

Martin Fischer repped this.
  25. FloridaFC2MLS

FloridaFC2MLS Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but Beitashour is not really a "good MLS player". Fullbacks are the weakest position in MLS by far and being the best American fullback in the league equates to nothing more than a decent MLS defender. I dont want to turn this into a Beitashour conversation and I dont want it to seem like I am playing down Beitashour but he hasnt been anything too spectacular besides his crossing ability. The reason for SJ's success as a whole is really understanding and cohesiveness and he is quite intelligent so that works in his favor as well.