Parkhurst as a full-back option

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Dec 15, 2009.

1. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    How many signs do you need?

Last page!

2. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    One big one by Bob in flashing neon lettering saying:

"Nice move going abroad. If you'd stayed in MLS where you were the Defender of the Year you'd probably be on this roster. Good luck with the lox and such. Sucker."

3. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sucker? Really?
    He's banking 250K net. Playing in a good league in a nice country.

Yeah, but he threw away the chance to sit on the bench for 3-4 games next summer in SA.

1 person likes this.
  4. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Califf came back to MLS to have a chance to get to South Africa and staying with Columbus has done nothing to hurt Chad Marshall.

I want every single talented attacker and full back to test themselves abroad, but when it comes to defensive midfielders and centerbacks, MLS is a good place to be.

5. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I will admit that my post was a little harsh :)

I just think Parkhurst did himself no favors in regards to the USMNT by going to Denmark. But that was only a fraction of the decision, as you've rightfully pointed out. Money was an issue.

My gut tells me that if Parkhurst had stayed in MLS, continued as one of the best defenders in the league, etc...............he'd have a legitimate shot at this World Cup roster. And to me it's becoming pretty clear that he doesn't right now.

6. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    I never titled this thread "Parkhust to make the World Cup roster". And I admitted that the odds are not in his favor.

However, things are not looking great for our back four these days: Spector is riding the pine for his club, as is Bocanegra, Onyewu is out with a long-term knee injury, and the left back spot is still as unsettled as ever. Players could end up getting shifted around, as when we saw Boca playing left back and Spector playing in the center. Plus, injuries are always a possibility.

So I was pointing out that Parkhurst could be an option at right back, and having depth there would not be a bad thing.

I would also like to wait and see how he finishes out the season in Denmark in his new position before we write him off.

7. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    If Parkhurst had become a success in Denmark and been a regular starter (as most of you were sure he was going to be when he moved to Europe), then I'm also sure he would have been in your NT roster, just as Califf was being picked for your NT while he was a regular starter in Denmark.

Just like the MLS Best XI Wade Barrett, then Parkhurst didnt become a poor defender by moving to Denmark, he just showed that he was not good enough to be a regular starter as centre back in a tougher league than MLS, which I'm sure is exactly why he is no longer being considered for the NT... He is not being punished for moving to Europe, but because he quite simply is'nt good enough.

Perhaps he could be one of the top centre backs in MLS, but considering that an average Superliga team like FC Nordsjælland got atleast two centre backs who are better than Parkhurst, you would only be fooling yourself to belive that he is good enough for a WC roster, if he could be one of the best defenders in MLS.. If your NT coach do not want to use him as a right back at this point (because of Parkhursts lack of experience), then ther is no reason at all to consider him for a spot as centre back.. So I'm positive that Bradley is doing the right thing in this case.

8. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're not looking for a starting right back,Ceres,it's more for a backup to Cherundolo since Spector,the expected second choice,is more likely to be needed in the middle.

(I just threw up in my mouth a little when I typed that).

9. gaucho

gaucho Member

Dec 17, 2001
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough--my first sentence was especially snarky. But here's the thing:

1. Parkhurst didn't make the roster for a camp where most of the starting lineup and a decent number of reserves won't be there.
    2. Parkhurst is relatively new to this position.
    3. There's little or no time to integrate a player that has never played this position in a US shirt.
    4. Everyone agrees that this is a guy that gets by mostly on being an intelligent soccer player, not by being the best athlete, and RB is a position where intelligence AND speed is almost always required.
    5. He's trying to play this position in Denmark, while being a respectable league and probably better than MLS top to bottom, is not in the top 4 or 5 leagues in Europe.

So, yes, he should be in the discussion and we should watch how he's doing in Denmark, but I think he has to light the world on fire to have any shot at the WC roster. I just think that if he hasn't shown that ability by now, the odds are very long for him going to South Africa.

Maybe he might have another Gold Cup in him or some WCQ appearances, but a first time WC player at RB at age 30 in 2014 seems unlikely. Chris Albright was 27 as a RB reserve (and was originally an alternate), who had previously converted to the position, in 2006. 30 is just too late.

10. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Albright transferred from forward.

Parkhurst transferred from central d.Bit of a difference there.

This entire question wouldn't matter if Marvell Wynne had shown himself capable of stepping up to the next level.

Speed matters more for the USMNT because we insist that outside backs pres forward.

Defensively,I'll take smarts over speed at any back position.

Unless we're talking Jeff Agoos 2002 speed.

11. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    Parkhust being considered for rightback? Why not move Bocanegra to leftback while you're at it. I thought the US had moved on from the Cle Kooiman era. I guess I was wrong. :D Where are the good US players? After the 94 WC I thought the US would be much more advanced soccer nation player development wise by 2010. Looking at the present US national player pool is a bit depressing.

12. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if Gooch is not fully fit for the World Cup, I'd rather keep Dolo and Spector as our two right back options and work with Demeritt, Boca, Marshall and Goodson/Califf or whoever as our central defender options. Chances are, Gooch will be healthy by April get some training time and possibly reserve matches to regain fitness. Than play in our May friendlies to regain his form for the World Cup.

Parkhurst could be a good option to backup Spector come next cycle as Dolo gets up there in years. But I would like to see him against Concacrap opponents first before we decide to take this experiment further.

13. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If someone here wants to fantasize about Parkhurst, do it big time. Like if Parkhurst chose Ireland over the USA and if he was playing right back marking Henry, etc, etc.

14. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Posted by bshredder in the Yanks Abroad forum:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22038283&postcount=323

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Bornstein, Ponce, Lichaj, and Cherundolo are pretty adequate.

16. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    barely adequate,not going to play for us,reserve player and past it by 2014 doesn't add up to adequate for me.

Mind you,not sayin' Parkhurst would be better...

17. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    2014 is all that concerns me today, and dolo, sans major injury is fine...

lichaj is intriguing, and spector, who knows for sure...

as to parkhurst, i prefer him in the middle, where he can read things, and where pace isn't a major issue

18. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    A 35 year old fullback not named Pupi can be a problem ...

19. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    dolo has gotten by more on acumen than physical gifts, so aging is less likely to be more the problem...

my crystal ball says dolo thru wcq, with lichaj transitioning thru it to be the #1 for brasil itself...

20. kokoplus10

kokoplus10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

21. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    'Dolo relies on his quickness a lot in my estimation. Age may not be so kind to him. Right now, he is a strength in the team but hard to say he necessarily will be in another four years. If he was a center back, I'd be less concerned. Either way, any of these new options have to take the spot away from him, and so far he's looking like one of the most obvious choices when you start making out a line-up.

22. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I think those are the same quotes from before (shortly after the Colombia match).

By the way, has anyone seen Parkhurst play RB for his club yet? I remember that he struggled the couple times that New England played him in the midfield, so it's hard for me to see Michael attacking or combining with his teammates as much as you'd expect out of a natural right-back.

24. Scott e Dio93

Scott e Dio93 New Member

Jul 1, 2006
    Montevideo, URU
    Parkhurst lacks crossing skills, pace & dribbling skills for a rightback

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana