Parkhurst as a full-back option

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Scotty, Dec 15, 2009.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    For those of you who haven't been keeping up with the Yanks Abroad forum, Parkhurst has a new position now. And from all accounts, he's taken to it quite well:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19509164&postcount=267

With Spector moving to central defense to cover for the injured Onyewu, and Father Time breathing down Frankie's neck, it's nice to have an extra option for the right fullback spot. Let's hope he continues to progress as the season in Denmark goes on.

Real Corona repped this.
  2. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I'd imagine he's more of an option for the next cycle there, mostly because I don't see Bradley sticking with the Specter CB experiment and because I don't think a little over a half a season will be enough time to learn an entirely new position.

It is very promising news though. Watching Parkhurst struggle during the Gold Cup against sides that were a good deal less talented than MLS sides he routinely dominated convinced me that he doesn't have a future as a CB in a 4 back system. I didn't think he would have the versatility to become a fullback though.

3. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    Parkurst is a step slow in the international level at CB...id imagine he'd get eaten alive at RB.

4. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. But I'd give Parky a chance after Dolo, Specs, Frankie, Simek, Wynne, Franklin, Alston, and DeLaGarza.

5. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    His speed is ok imo. I rather thought he got dominated physically during that Gold Cup.

6. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was toasted by the Nigerians in the Olympics and pushed around in the Gold Cup. He has shown the least of any of the players that fans call for. Goodson, Simek, Orozco, etc all have shown more in their appearances for the national team.

7. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes he was beaten twice IIRC vs Nigeria, but pushed around in the GC?
    The guy is playing for a now mid-table Danish club and if he shows progress at RB it is only golden for us. He'd move right into the spot behind Dolo and Spector (who is probably going to play only at RB, not CB or LB). Parkie is as fast as Boca is on the left and that's where we will probably see Boca if Demerit, and especially Gooch make it back.

Simek has yet to start for Wednesday. Goodson was as shaky as Parkhurst was at CB but doesn't play RB that I know. Orozco? Has he ever come back into the good graces of BB after that red card?

8. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Is he really any slower than Spector?

9. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I think we'll probably see Parkhurst given an opportunity in a friendly.........and perhaps at camp cupcake. The added versatility of being able to play both CB and RB is a plus in his favor. However, right back is one of the few positions where we do have some depth.......both young and old. Spector and Cherundolo would appear to be our first options. Personally, I'd love to see Alston get the start following camp cupcake.

Parkhurst has always been a better player than his physical attributes indicate he should be. While somebody like Wynne (for me) is the exact opposite.

10. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I was wondering the same. And he's got where he is due to a great soccer brain. Maybe we've been exposed to too many years of surfer dude running around to realize it's not all about having insane pace.

1 person likes this.
  11. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Parkhurst is not going to be a "rampaging down the wing" type of Right Back. He's gonna be a stay at home kinda guy. Speed matters less in that instance.

12. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a PArkhurst fan at all but if he does well at RB for his club, I wouldn't be against Bradley giving him a look-see in some friendlies.
    Depth is never a bad thing.

13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    much slower. And I love Parky.

14. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    He would not be playing as a right back for an attacking minded team like FCN, if he was a very defensive minded 'stay at home' kind of right back.... Actually, in the link I posted, his coach is saying that he is good at going forward and make some good crosses... and then he goes on to say that Parkhurst also has been solid in defense. So it's clearly not his defensive skills that has impressed the most, since it's mentioned last.

15. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Didn't you say that his coach also praises him in the interview for being "quick"?

16. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yes, but he does not say fast or very quick.... I think he is trying to say that he is quick enough to be the kind of attacking minded right back they want him to be.

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I get what you're saying but I'm talking about Parkhurst playing for the USMNT. I'm not saying he's going to never, ever go forward, but he's not going to be Ashley Cole or even Frankie and people shouldn't expect that.

International Level > Danish Level

18. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Not if we are talking about the average CONCACAF/Gold Cup level. Then it's the other way around

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Can we all agree that Bob Bradley is not a Parkhurst guy? Wouldn't BB have pulled MP into the team for the Denmark friendly if Bob had even a sliver of interest? Or did I miss an injury or some other key factor along the way that made MP unavailable?

20. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    ...and btw, it's not because I have anything against CONCACAF... You can also find NTs in Europe that would not be able to escape relegation in the Danish league... Infact, you will only find one or two players in the Faroese NT squad who are good enough to play in the Danish Superliga.

21. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Faroes has 50K people total. Honduras is bigger than Denmark.

22. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. Bocanegra is an option at left back because the other options are much worse, as well as Bob wants to get Demerit on the field as well as keeping the teams's captain out there. There are plenty of other good options on the right.

2. Yes, Parkhurst is that much slower than Spector. Spector is bigger, longer, and faster than Parkhurst.

3. Parkhurst would not be able to get forward like every single other RB option for the US.

4. braun - horrible post. If you don't think Parkhurst played bad at the Gold Cup, why do you think he played less than all of the other CBs??? Those other CBs including Goodson whose only bad game was the Gold Cup final breakdown. Orozco has played for the national team since the red card, so I can't understand why you bring that up again.

As for Simek, this is the first time he has been healthy in like 2 years. He was part of the Gold Cup squad back in 2007. We have seen how Feilhaber and (hopefully) now Beasley have bounced back from extended injury layoffs. Simek has been getting playing time for Wednesday in a league in which a lot of people argue that it is the quality of the Danish league. I wouldn't make that argument, but Simek will still play against some very good teams if he stays healthy.

23. KALM

KALM Member+

Oct 6, 2006
    Boston/Providence
    I'd say a good MLS side is better than all but the top 4 CONCACAF national team sides during any given cycle. That goes doubly for Danish League sides. And this is based on my doing some extensive research on CONCACAF rosters and finding starting lineups even among some Hex teams filled with MLS or USL washouts, or third division players.

The WC-qualified CONCACAF sides though are definitely international quality and would probably do alright in the Premiership or Serie A.

24. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I'd like to think our team is a bit better than average CONCACAF level.

25. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Yes, but your average CONCACAF opponents are not that good, so Parkhurst should do just fine going forward in games like that.