Park Ju-Young @ Watford F.C. 2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by Chingoo, Jan 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seolseol

seolseol Member+

Apr 26, 2003
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Hope so.

2. LDG20

LDG20 Member

Chelsea
    South Korea
    Jul 2, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Why hasn't Watford just terminate the loan?

3. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC

ooh, good question, is that in their option?

4. Chingoo

Chingoo Member+

Feb 10, 2010
    He'll score 1 goal at best and will go to the desert or china afterwards.

5. nmssis

nmssis Member+

May 21, 2011
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    lol...you may be right!

6. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    and I guess HMB figures the same

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/new...N20140414005300315.html?input=www.tweeter.com

7. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    PCY to hold a press conference soon. Most likely to appease the crowd who might be unhappy about his inclusion into the WC squad (similar to what he did for the Olympics).

8. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I've been reading about as well. I'm also reading a lot from netizens in our homeland about how they feel. And seems like park can't get a break from them. And now, coach hong is also on the hot seat from it as well. I maybe reading too much into it. Because it seems like just about everyone is typing negatively about the situation. Way one-sided. There's hardly anyone in support of both park and coach hong. I'll try to explain the situation as clear as i can. Maybe fellow members here can add or better explain it.

Park has been subject of ridicule ever since the beginning of the season. A lot people are questioning his work ethic by accepting his situation at arsenal. We really don't know the whole situation but people are assuming that settling for the bench at arsenal and collecting paycheck is good enough for him. So on comes out of nowhere park gets pick for Greece friendly from coach hong. This comes back to coach hong on his first press conference announcing a player who doesn't have a club level regular playing time will not get called to the national team. Gets called anyway. And been in a firestorm ever since from the internet people in Korea.

The reason for hate is this is about the same old traditional Korean way. The new word I've learned recently is 인맥(in-mek). And 인맥 refers to a person who benefits from another simply knowing the person who has the same previous association. Association could be anything from attending the same school or from a same a town. And park, who didn't see regular minutes in club level, his spot in the national team is not in doubt because the people believe both park and coach hong are "close". As compare to some other who may need to earn a spot. That's not going well for the Koreans in our homeland. Especially with those a keyboard.

This also speaks about the Korean society in general. A person in a work place who works and goes the extra distance for the company, who also deserves a promotion, may not get one because there's another person out nowhere gets into same position ahead a person who deserves it. The word for that is 낙하산(parachuting in).

I may not correctly associated both 인맥 and 낙하산 in this circumstance. So a fellow board member, do correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, the press conference is due very soon. It will be very interesting next couple of weeks.

takeuchi repped this.
  9. Hodori

Hodori Member+

Aug 12, 2010
    I stopped browsing naver/daum/etc when it comes to anything related to PJY. A bunch of bitter _________paths in the comment section.

HojuSaram, Ohhii, TaegukRedDevil and 4 others repped this.
  10. kennypowers

kennypowers Member

Nov 3, 2010
    NYC
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    F*ck the haters. They will be his biggest fans when he scores in the WC. I love my people but sometimes man..... netizens are just a straight up embarassment.

Anyone with two eyes and half a brain can see that he is by far and away our best striker and its not even close.

11. seoulman9

seoulman9 Member

Aug 28, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    I just don't understand how netizens can go on hating after they saw the actual proof in the Greece game. How can they justify saying that PCY's selection was a mistake? It takes a strong brand of delusion to keep believing it was after seeing facts to the contrary.

12. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I only read one comment where it said that HMB was a disgrace, didn't bother after that. I mean after all these are the same panties that cried about PJY's military service issue right before the London Olympics, but ended up wetting their pants when he especially scored against Japan in the Bronze medal match, it's fcuking priceless.

[​IMG]

13. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I haven't read articles or comments but it seems like the netizens are angry about the social injustic they percieve. What heyheyhell described sounds like it could be perceived as a form of cronyism. Wouldn't surpised me if most of the antifans could care less about the knt. They see a rich guy getting paid without really working and then he ges rewarded with intl caps to boot.

Hate is strong in our korean blood. We can't stand to see someone we see as undeserving getting rewarded. I'm assuming these people are ignorant of how lacking we are in the striker department.

TaegukRedDevil and seoulman9 repped this.
  14. Shinuke

Shinuke Member+

South Korea
    Jul 21, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    nah they know our strikers suck; they just don't like the fact that PJY is our best solution and are venting their frustration in those portal sites. like hodori said, not worth reading...just move on

15. Shinuke

Shinuke Member+

South Korea
    Jul 21, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    The anti-PJY comments also stem from the whole 2005 pohang-fc seoul controversy ..but then again how many of those haters actually watch the K-League? It's just the way it is...just look at Yoon Suk Min and how people are responding to his poor performances in AAA...calling him an embarrassment to the nation and stuff. IMO Those haters are the real embarrassment to our nation.

kennypowers and seoulman9 repped this.
  16. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think more than a few, one of whom also was an active troll here, were also upset about his own goal in WC'10

17. Shinuke

Shinuke Member+

South Korea
    Jul 21, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I just don't understand how the comments can change so quickly. During his whole fiasco with Arsenal, the netizens were busy mocking his failures but after the match against Greece, they went off about how PCY is the only solution for the NT, etc. Now, they are unhappy with his selection in the final 23....are that many Koreans bipolar?

18. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    did PJY start out as pohang youth? always thought he started out with fc seoul from the beginning.

19. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    very easy to be fickle and flip flop when you're anonymous. these people are not true knt fans. lol that sounds pretentious.

20. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I don't think that they're flip flopping as much as there are plenty of trolls/idiots on both sides of the fence

21. Akimize

Akimize Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Netizens, especially Korean ones, are always going to be crying foul over something. Luckily HMB isn't the type to bow to social pressure, no matter how strong it is. He understands that PJY is the best option up front for the team's success, and he's not about to do anything to jeopardize the team's chances. Even if PJY is not fit and ready to start matches come June, it'd be madness to not include him in the squad as a bench option.

At the end of the day, all the netizen huffing and puffing will dissipate like the hot gas it is...until we get knocked out in the group stages...god forbid. Then there'll be a shitstorm of media blame to go around.

22. Shinuke

Shinuke Member+

South Korea
    Jul 21, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Well, sort of. He's originally from Cheonggu High School, but Daegu FC didn't have a youth team so Pohang FC agreed to send him abroad. The Pohang fans especially hate him cause the organization spent quite a sum of money to send him abroad and train him to be the player he was during his youth days. But then again, Pohang only obtained the right to negotiate his contract first by sending him to Brazil; he didn't actually have to sign with them.

23. news

news Member

Jan 24, 2008
    it doesn't matter if park is in or not. everyone knows park is starting in brazil. hong needs to stop acting like he's keeping his word and everyone is playing by the same rules because they're not.

24. Chorok

Chorok Member+

Mar 10, 2012
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I think that's part of the reason for the criticism. HMB is clearly playing favorites (not that he doesn't have the right to. Any manager should be able to pick the players he wants to suit his playstyle), and it contradicts what he said in the past.

25. KyopoOhNo

KyopoOhNo Member+

Aug 3, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    So he lied. Managers lie all the time. Big deal.

As an aside, I have a coworker who is totally nuts and there is no reasoning with her. I always tell her what she wants to hear, and then turn around and do what I want. Makes my life easier. Sounds like HMB has the same strategy when dealing with PCY haters.