Park Ji-Sung @ PSV Eindhoven 2013-2014 [R]

Discussion in 'Korean Players Abroad' started by zdrstvte, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hanjin

Hanjin Member+

May 18, 2004
    Gold Coast, QLD
    Club:
    Queensland Roar
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  2. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Wonderkid Bakkali got a minor injury and might miss PSV - Go Ahead Eagles. If Park will be eligible to play I predict he will be a starter. So I hope they hurry up with that working permit.

dudedudedude and Seol Korea repped this.
  3. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC

At PSV, he was an undisputed starter and one of the aces in the team, and his contribution was vital in their success. At Manchester United, he was a useful resource for the team, but never an essential member of the team that they couldn't play without. That probably explains why the fans at Manchester United are less appreciative.

4. zdrstvte

zdrstvte Member+

Aug 27, 2012
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
  5. hanul21

hanul21 Guest

PSV fan's love for Park and Lee runs deep.

a handful of years back, after Park/Lee left PSV, a Vietnamese-American player by the name of Lee Nguyen got a stint at PSV. when they put him on, he opted to have Lee on his jersey and the PSV fans immediately did their "LEEEEEEEEEEEEE" chant everytime he touched the ball.

i know Parks not the player he used to be a few seasons back but im hoping he'll put on a good show for the fans.

6. wetcrispy

wetcrispy Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 5, 2007
    hollywoo
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic

lee nguyen and LYP have played against each other in the MLS too.

7. toohyper

toohyper Member+

Mar 23, 2004
    MI/NJ/NY
    Club:
    Gwangju FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    am i the only one who thinks BSK korean fans believe PSV supporters romanticized Park? The forum posts I've read about Park from PSV forum, they always remind how Park started his career slow at PSV but eventually became a good player. They don't praise him like a legend though (they certainly respect him, no denying that), which seems like a faulty assumption a lot of the posters here at BSK seem to make.

dudedudedude repped this.
  8. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    they were actually teammates for a short while as well.

wetcrispy repped this.
  9. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Earlier in 2013 there was some topic where people voted for their all-time favorite PSV player. I remember I added all those votings up for personal use, saved the .txt and this was the result:

1. v. Bommel:790
    2. Cocu:711
    3. Nilis:681
    4. Alex:444
    5. Gomes:440
    6. Romario:438
    7. Kezman:312
    8. v. Nistelrooy:271
    9. Ronaldo:235
    10. Farfan:179
    11. Park:146
    12. Heintze:122
    13. Dzsudszak:110
    14. Gererts:109
    15. Afellay:106
    16. Vennegoor:74
    17. Robben:69
    18. Breukelen:58
    19. Doelen:53
    20. Numan:50
    21. Lee:47
    22. Waterreus:44
    23. Popescu44
    24. R. Koeman:40
    25. Gullit:37

Some perspective, but his return probably has made him more popular. Do not forget he played only good for 1.5 years and after 1 good season he already left.

10. dudedudedude

dudedudedude Member+

Aug 3, 2008
    Baltimore, MD
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    That's a very interesting list. I totally forgot Romario was once a PSV player. PJS will probably move up the list past farfan eventually. I doubt he will eclipse Ronaldo or V. Nistelrooy.

add in thierry Henry and those are my 3 favorite strikers of all time.

11. Kanuck

Kanuck Member+

Feb 11, 2005
    La Belle Province
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    that team (04-05) was like lightning in a bottle. the prodigal son Hiddink had returned, and as much as the Philips board might have complained about the spending, Hiddink built a super team (half the players on the list Paganitzu put up are from that era). the list of players who went on to bigger teams and leagues in classic PSV fashion is long but from what many of my Dutch friends have told me, the fans do have a soft spot for Park even in the short time he was there because of the progression he showed. not only in talent, but in how tough he was mentally.

He was always going to have to prove himself being one of Hiddink's boys, but there was also the usual "shirt seller" labeling (every fanbase has them) as Korean players were yet not proven in top flight EUR football. he started off recovering from injury and did not show well. some teammates questioned openly to the media why Guus had brought Park over. MvB was quite vocal about his displeasure. what made it worse was that Lee otoh had quite a smooth integration into the team compared to Park. but Guus never lost faith and he rewarded him and the fans with some magic football. to overcome all this, as well as the cultural and language difficulties really showed what kind of resolve the kid had and what he was made out of.

for MvB to openly aplogise to Park for the things he said, also showed how mcuh respect he had gained from his teammates. to this day, MvB and Cocu are ardent supporters of JSP.

nmssis, Seol Korea, jolim24601 and 7 others repped this.
  12. Jitevra

Jitevra Member+

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    Ulsan Horang I
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    Seol Korea, jinseokyang and skimmilk repped this.
  13. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  14. Gayageum

Gayageum Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 22, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  15. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Has a minor injury so probably won't be a starter against Go Ahead. Expect he will play some minuts though.

skimmilk repped this.
  16. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  17. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    PSV has two teams, PSV 1 and Young PSV. Young PSV is for the young talents and play in the Jupiler League, a division below the Eredivisie. Funny enough the average age of Young PSV was actually higher than PSV against NEC; 20.4 years versus 20.6 years.

Kanuck repped this.
  18. heyheyhe11

heyheyhe11 Member+

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    So,there's no update on the email sent to PSV fan store concerning a discount of buying 10 psv homes jerseys with park printing. but since number 33 is park's i have sent another email to PSV fan store. and will update as i get a reply.

speaking of psv jersey. i've been searching for psv jersey as best i can. and want to let you know that there is a sale at worldsoccershop.com

only problem is that they dont have a printing service for fonts and numbers.

http://www.worldsoccershop.com/51091.html

http://www.worldsoccershop.com/countdown-to-kickoff.html

put psv home jersey priced at 90 bucks. with shipping of 10 bucks. but they do have a 15 percent off promotion running until the end of the week which puts the jersey at 86-87 bucks. and that's by far the cheapest price we've seen yet.

i just want to let the others in the board members of the promo.

i personally will wait another couple of days and if there's no reply from PSV fan store, i'll buy one for myself.

19. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    I wonder how Park's career would have turned out if he opted to stay at PSV. He had a good run with ManU, but there is something not quite satisfying about it.

20. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    His club accomplishments were greater than his personal ones. Its not like PSV woulda won CL because he was there. And PJS had a large part in a number of the trophies that United won even if there were some bad moments like being left out of the final.

21. JoeKamel

JoeKamel Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    For those of you in the US, looks like the match will be on ESPN3 at 11:45 am CST.

HiTaegukWarrior and skimmilk repped this.
  22. msc43

msc43 Member+

Jul 6, 2011
    United States
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    I think he picked the right time to move. There was a massive talent exodus from PSV and I don't think a generation with that type of talent and management will come by in a while. Just to say that Park was managed by SAF means a lot in itself.

23. skimmilk

skimmilk Member+

Apr 22, 2010
    Texas, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  24. Seol Korea

Seol Korea Member+

Jun 24, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
  25. Seol Korea