News: Pareja cautious with Mastroeni as head symptoms return

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by JasonMa, Mar 22, 2012.

1. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Interesting point but I don't really think that is the case. You can do a quick search and find countless examples of concussions suffered in other leagues. I do think we take it a bit more serious, primarily due to awareness brought about by other american sports (football). England as an example, is getting to that point of education and awareness as seen by new standards for handling of concussions in Rugby.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. blkbrnrvr

blkbrnrvr Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Auburn metro
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    That's definitely what I would lean towards.

4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    The best players in Europe are so dumb, seeing that they get pulled out of school from the age of 14 to be on the pro-soccer track, that it's really hard to tell the difference from a concussed or regular player. They all seem to have some degree of massive head trauma.;)

5. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
  6. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    I think that the awareness developed from football (and to some extent ice hockey) has probably been a bigger factor than MLS being too physical. Having a former MVP turned ESPN analyst be forced into retirement in the prime of his career is probably a factor as well.

Definitely one of the greats in the league's young history.

Jasonma repped this.
  7. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give a lot of credit to Twellman for raising the awareness.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Fiosfan

Fiosfan Red Card

Mar 21, 2010
    Nevada
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo a great player and he will make a very passionate coach for the league.

Jasonma repped this.
  10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't even sound like Pablo is hanging around training or really being a part of the team. The trainer is said to get in touch with him "once or twice a week" to see how things are going. That's just really tough, and really sad. Pablo's one of the few MLS players I've actually met and got to chit-chat with - in fact, his Dad was there too, it was at a USA winter training camp down in Chula Vista before they started having all those things up in Home Depot.....unlike his sometimes on field demeanor, he was real sweet and his Dad was the proudest papa I had seen in some time. I'm sure they're all very disappointed by all this. Get better Pablo, we miss you.

Jasonma repped this.
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add Ugo Ihemelu to the list. He missed Wednesday's game with concussion symptoms. He has had them in the past also. Have not heard how serious or a time frame for return. I do like that these players and teams are being smart about all this. I would feel bad knowing someone I rooted for is a shadow of their self in retirement.

12. looknohands

looknohands Member+

Apr 23, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope that the league makes an example of concussions being taken seriously by allowing teams to take whatever salary the injured player was making and apply it towards signing a replacement. Otherwise, you're giving teams an incentive to rush players back onto the field, particularly higher-earning ones, if they're unable to field a "suitable" alternative. Pay the injured player his salary and allow the team some cap relief, and both sides should be happy.

Jasonma repped this.
  13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids just put a video on Facebook entitled "First Steps" that shows Pablo doing some fitness running out at the Dick.

14. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rereading this thread I got curious as to who can say that, at least as an American. Unfortunately there's no listing of team captains in Wikipedia, but 12 of the 14 players in that USA - Germany game have won a league championship. Other than Pablo I'm not sure who might have been a captain:

Mastroeni - Colorado '10
    Hejduk - Columbus '08, LA '11
    Berhalter - LA '11
    O'Brien - Ajax '01-'02, '03-'04
    Sanneh - DC '96, '97
    Stewart - DC '04
    Reyna - Rangers '99-'00
    Donovan - San Jose '01, '03, LA '05, '11
    Pope - DC '96, '97, '99
    Mathis - Salt Lake '09
    Jones - LA '02, '05
    Lewis - Fulham 2000-01

Only Friedel and McBride from that game apparently have not won a league championship

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mastroeni was just placed back on the DL by Colorado. :(

17. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    Hejduk (2008) and Donovan (2011).

18. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Um, from Jasonma's post:
    Hejduk - Columbus '08, LA '11
    Donovan - San Jose '01, '03, LA '05, '11

As far as Pablo goes, I thought for sure I had heard he retired. Was surprised to see an update to this thread.

Hang up the boots, man. You had a great ride. Time to build up the league and the game in other ways now, and keep yourself healthy.

19. Howard the Drake

Feb 27, 2010
    He was asking who was a captain.

20. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, my bad. Carry on.

21. MLSFan123

MLSFan123 Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Boston Area
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any update on his condition?

22. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nothing too recently. He felt good enough to work out with the team a couple of weeks ago but it was for the inspirational aspect and to change things up during the losing steak, not because he was close to coming back to the team full-time.

At this point its safe to say he's done. He might get a send-off appearance sometime in the last 10 games if he's healthy enough but beyond that I doubt that he even makes the 18-man game day roster, much less plays. His contract is up this year and he hinted at retirement even last year, so I assume that will be it for him.

23. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This situation reminds me of Bryan Namoff. Every now and then there would be updates that he was starting light training and that he was making progress. Like clockwork though there would always be a setback and he would be at square one again. Unfortunately he had to retire and it looks like the same for Pablo.

24. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States