Papa John's and White Castle - Stadium Food 2013

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by CrewV Man, Feb 19, 2013.

1. jschwarz

jschwarz Member

Apr 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not my first choice by far for either type of cuisine, but it is business. They will feed the fans whatever is going to make them money, ie whichever company offers the Crew the most amount of money for the rights to sell there eats there.

stanger repped this.
  2. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    I've always wondered how much the team makes from selling food service rights. Does the team get most of the money or Sodexho or the Expo center? Given that the food isn't very good is there an opportunity for someone with better food to bid higher next time?

3. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    When I was a kid my dad would stop at White Castle after every Crew game to get him Coffee and Sliders and for me stop at Rally's.

4. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    I think you might be jumping to conclusions about why he has not eaten meat. It may not be about the quality of the meat. Just FYI.

5. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Point taken.

So, to turn this into an SAT-style statement, White Castle is to meat as Robert Warzycha is to head coaches?

6. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is indeed still a Hardees in coshocton as well as one in springfield and I think one in lancaster or circleville as well.

As far as stadium food goes, I had a cheeseburger from the grill area on the way to the nordecke... wasn't horrible. Probably the best food in the joint to me is from the subway. It's the same quality as a normal subway anyway, so that makes it ok in my book.

7. Brutus112

Brutus112 Member

Feb 4, 2005
    New Albany, Oh
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MMMMMMMMMMM Jones Salt 'n Vinegar ..... best chips in the world.

The only time I eat in the stadium is when I bring my eight year old. He can't make it through a match without asking for something to eat. I usually tell him to wait until after the match. We always fire the grill back up and burn some dogs/burgers, whatever.

Add me to the list of Mansfield alumni. The first club I ever played for was the Mansfield Liederkranz. Adam Schuster was my first coach. I was six and couldn't understand a single word he said. Serious. It was at least two years before I could understand his accent.

SourCream&OnionUtd and Jamooky repped this.
  8. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    That is a nice memory but I cannot fathom intentionally having coffee AND White Castle in the same sitting. The coffee would render your White Castle gas as, shall we say, untrustworthy?

9. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a dangerous guessing game

10. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I played for them as well but only for a short time till I moved.

11. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    wait how old are you / what years did you play? That's where I played?

12. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When they say Rax is better than Arby's, they ain't kidding. There's one in Circleville too I think. I feel that it is miles ahead of Arbys

It was a sad day when they closed the one in Chillicothe where I grew up

13. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never eat their sliders. Nasty stuff. But their coffee is surprisingly good

jackmann repped this.
  14. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not know how many of you follow basketball, but the Cavaliers (the Q) has really good but pricey food. Some of it is from boutique local places. Others are like Quaker Steak and Lube.

15. equus

equus Member

Jan 6, 2007
    No prawns? No Pukka Pies? ;)

16. CrewV Man

CrewV Man Member+

Aug 18, 2011
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brutus112 said:
    MMMMMMMMMMM Jones Salt 'n Vinegar ..... best chips in the world.

The only time I eat in the stadium is when I bring my eight year old. He can't make it through a match without asking for something to eat. I usually tell him to wait until after the match. We always fire the grill back up and burn some dogs/burgers, whatever.

Add me to the list of Mansfield alumni. The first club I ever played for was the Mansfield Liederkranz. Adam Schuster was my first coach. I was six and couldn't understand a single word he said. Serious. It was at least two years before I could understand his accent.
    And this is when Brutus112 and Skeleton Crew finally realize they are the same person and they should not have started Fight Club.

17. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not for nothing, but if you would never eat their food, what would prompt you to pick White Castle, of all places, as a place to get coffee?

18. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just said their sliders. ;) Their chicken rings are a great drinking snack.

That said, I had not even been within 100yds of a WC in years, but I was prompted about the coffee through a recommendation from one of the guys who built my home. Said it was really good.

19. Jim Bach

Jim Bach Member+

Bradford City Association Football Club
    May 11, 1999
    Land of the Lizard People, or so I'm told
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Compare the food selection at Huntington Park - a minor league stadium - with that at Crew Stadium - a major league stadium.

I'm not saying that a sports venue should be rated primarily by those sorts of amenities, but for the casual fan it makes a difference, for the serious fan bringing a guest to a game it makes a difference, and beyond all that, it speaks to a general level of the front office's attitudes concerning their customers.

Draghignazzo repped this.
  20. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it's closed. My wife and I actually went through there on their last or second to last day in existence (they didn't announce it with signage or anything). The drive through guy said they were closing with the hope of reopening in a better location further down on Bethel. That obviously has not happened.

21. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair I don't know that about Rax. But Hardee's did buy Rax, and their demise happened either on Hardee's watch or immediately thereafter. I believe the few remaining are just franchisees who decided to keep operating despite corporate Rax dying.

22. west ham sandwich

Feb 26, 2007
    C-bus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All this Rax memory stirring really makes me miss having a BBC. I can't really even eat Arby's beef 'n' cheddar anymore. What I would give for a good ol' BBC.

ZipSix repped this.
  23. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed, I love the Roosters stand at Huntington Park, and the draft beer that fills from the bottom up :D

electrickeeper repped this.
  24. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Actually the guy that owns the brand is actively trying to revive it. He stated out with one in Ironton and two in Lancaster; he's trying to close the gap between those stores first. He's opened the one in Circleville the next one he's opening will be in Wheelersburg; the long term goal would see Columbus as the first major market to be expanded to in the relaunch.

west ham sandwich repped this.
  25. DrunkandDisorderly

Mar 17, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The Rax discussion makes me think of another restaurant that I seem to remember being good when I was a kid. There was a GD Ritzy's that was just south of Shrock Rd in Westerville. I remember them having awesome fries and shakes.