Paolo Maldini - Il Capitano - The King of Kings.

Discussion in 'AC Milan' started by kckal, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Aranycsapat

Aranycsapat New Member

May 27, 2009
    Padova, Italy
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Italian television "Rai Uno" interviewed Pep Guardiola just some minutes after the end of the game and Guardiola made the first dedication to Maldini, and he also added that if Paolo will change his mind there will be place for him at FC Barcelona :D

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He could probably play ok in La Liga even at 41....

3. ChicagoAzzuri

ChicagoAzzuri New Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Chicago
    That was real classy by Pep, I wasn't expecting that. After you win that title I'd think other things are in your mind, but I'm happy Maldini is getting the due from the soccer world after what happened here

Though it is kind of sad that foreigners and even rivals (like Inter in the derby) can do a better job than Milan's fans thanks to a few complete idiots. Thanks to some attention whore morons this stain will be remembered by a lot of people. Sometimes there is a lot of unfair criticism thrown at the Italian game, and some of it is completely earned. A few dumb fans are a big segment of the multiple things that keep holding Serie A back

4. Aranycsapat

Aranycsapat New Member

May 27, 2009
    Padova, Italy
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4vuFt4-hs4"]YouTube - Finale champions league Manchester United vs Barcellona 0 2 2008/09[/ame]

Full interview with Guardiola on the pitch (his sentences about Maldini from 1.28 to 2.00): "I would like to make a dedication to Italian football and especially to Paolo Maldini, who has been an example to everyone for so many years. I know that the last match didn't go so well but he doesn't have to concern about that, because he has the admiration of the whole Europe. The most important player of the last 20-25 years was him, and I would like to make the dedication from the whole team and club to this great man, Mr. Paolo Maldini. And if he will change his mind (about the retirement) we would find place for him in the team with pleasure."

This one is from yesterday afternoon:
    http://www.gazzetta.it/Calcio/SerieA/Milan/27-05-2009/maldini-il-milan-50455611107.shtml

Maldini: "Milan didn't defend me."
    Galliani: "It was my choice, better to be silent."

5. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    that would be bad ass

maldini--puyol--pique--alves.

6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

7. TheGrimSweeper

Jul 16, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy

8. KyleP

KyleP Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Seeing Maldini play for any club other than Milan would be like one of the signs of the apocolypse! It's not going to happen... or at least I pray it doesn't happen.

9. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    ^^^ naw not really we have a good relationship with Barca so why not? but Maldini has two kids which he probably wants them to go to school in Italy so i doubt his going to Barca.

10. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    When asked about Barca, his wife said on Sunday, "vedremo" or we'll see. I am not closing any doors yet....the guy still can play better than players 1/2 his age!

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Of course they were going to give him a 10 rating as it was his last game. I remember Baresi got a 7 rating as did Platini but it wasn't certain they would retire when they played the final game of the season....I must say it will be a shame not seeing Maldini again.....

http://it.eurosport.yahoo.com/310520...ina-milan.html

Maldini 10
    Il voto è ovviamente un omaggio alla carriera di questo fantastico giocatore, che forse ha trovato la sua vera festa proprio oggi al Franchi, con la splendida standing ovation del pubblico viola. Anche oggi in partita (voto 7) si dimostra ancora una volta capace di sostenere partite di questa importanza.

Maldini 10 The rating is a dedication to his career for this fantastic player, who maybe found his real p[arty toady at the Franchi (stadium), w/ his splendid standing ovation from the opposing viola fans. Even today in the match (real match rating 7) he showed how he can outlast an important match such as this one was.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    good for paolo if that is what he thinks is best for him. i would wish him to stick with milan in a role, but after the fans atrocious behavior, i hope he succeeds elsewhere

14. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From what I gathered, even though they have said it, Milan don't seem to be willing him to offer him a role with the club. If I am not mistaken, Franco Baresi in 02, appointed him head coach of Milan's Primavera Under-20 squad. and in 06, he was moved by the club to coach the Berretti Under-19 squad, with his former fellow Filippo Galli replacing him at the helm of the Primavera squad. He retired from coaching and was replaced by Roberto Bertuzzo so I don't know if there are any positions open or rather if Maldini wants to put some other fellow milanisti out of work.....

15. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    they offered him some token position where he would not make any real difference so he is and should consider other offers.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I wonder why they would be doing that to him after 24+ years? Maybe its the economy?

17. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Can't blame the economy.

I think they offered him the head of youth programs or some such role. Maybe it was too soon to put him in as the team manager or position in relation to the first team. He only just retired as the team captain and placing him in a position close to the first team would leave the team still kind of living in his shadows. Not that its a bad thing but it could undermine the new captains in the dressing room. He would no longer be a player on the team or the captain but since he has been captain for so long players may still be looking to him as the captain even though he is retired. And the management probably just didnt want to deal with the politics of that situation.

We desperately need to move on and it would be harder to do if he still continued to have a hold on the dressing room.

Imagine Baresi being that close to the dressing room after he retired, the players would have continued to look to him and would have denied Maldini the opportunity to become the kind of captain that he became.

But that doesnt mean they couldnt have offered him a different position where he could make a difference.

18. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From what I remembered, Baresi was offered the position of being in charge of the youth in 97/98 or after he retired.......he went to Watford and then quit there I think it was and then came back... I read he is currently in charge of marketing for the rossoneri.

19. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah its a similar position that was offered to maldini, its still not close to the first team so provides some distance.

20. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If I were a coach coming in (Leonardo), I certainly wouldn't want a Paolo Maldini hanging around. Maybe he didn't want to be a burden....

21. kckal

kckal New Member

Jun 22, 2007
    Valparaíso, Chile
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Not sure if that was sarcasm :confused:

22. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    no...I'm just saying a player or a former player the caliber of Paolo Maldini would and could be a big burden to an incoming coach. I'd be afraid. I mean its like if the son of the boss wants you out, you are done....

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Man watching Milan play without Maldini is really weird. Not only has the defense lost his talent but it seems the whole team suffers with his retirement......what a pitty! Father time certainly is not kind and it shows.

24. jpick

jpick Member

Jul 5, 2006
    jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    we sucked with maldini last season...and that was when we still had kaka. missing maldini has little to do with our problems imho

25. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    On the contrary, I think he added plenty to a lackluster team last year and his presence and influence was crucial to his mates and intimidating to opposing forwards. Even at 40 he was a force back there. I don't think they play as well without him at its showed....