Pakistan in the news

Discussion in 'International News' started by JBigjake, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    He drew a gun, aimed it, pulled the trigger and ended up killing two people. That's about as deliberate as it gets.

Now, whether he was justified in killing them is another issue, and again that is something that should be heard in a court of law (unless diplomatic immunity applies).

2. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point being, he DOES have diplomatic immunity. Which means he isn't subject to the Pakistani court. Period. End of.

3. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Getting behind the wheel of a car when you are so drunk you can barely walk and driving through an urban area killing people not in a different category. I think I know why you are categorizing them differently, but regardless...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yvonne_Fletcher

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If he did in fact register with the Pakistani Foreign Office when he entered the country as the State Department claims, then yes, he does.

5. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I haven't looked at Vienna in any detail, but if that is the case then he will get released.

6. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

...and unfortunately, or fortunately, I am not sure, Pakistani-US relations will go into a tailspin.

7. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    OK, I've had a quick look at Vienna, and the following articles drew my attention:

Article 1(e):
    Article 29:
    Article 31
    Article 38
    I think Article 38 is what they will be arguing about.

8. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    It is simple.

Pakistan wants POW swap with their female nuclear scientist who is in US hand.

9. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    I'd thought this, too. I doubt the Government were thinking along these lines, but the population probably are. (The Government allegedly had a hand in her incarceration.) The people probably either want the return of Aafia Siddiqui, or revenge for her incarceration.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Pakistani government is stuck between a rock and a hard place. They either have two options. One is send Davis back to the US, which they already would have done if there was no public knowledge of the situation, and risk an outright rebellion. Two, say FU to the US, save the country from massive unrest, and risk billions of US dollars in aid.

I don't think Pakistan's administration sees this situation as anything positive whatsoever.

11. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could they be any worse? Both sides are making nice in public, but the fact of the matter is that Pakistan's intelligence agency is an active supporter of the Taliban and we know it and they know that we know it. It's all a facade.

12. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There isn't a positive outcome for them because their people are ********ing stupid and cannot comprehend that international/diplomatic law actually, you know, matters.

In the eyes of the average Pakistani: white Christian shot brown Muslims. White Christian must die.

Which is fine, except that they're willing to go nuts when their retarded demands aren't met. Which sucks, but that isn't the US's problem. Pakistan's inability to keep their people from going apeshit over this is their own problem.

13. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They could easily be worse. What is at stake for Pakistan?

Billions of a dollars. BILLIONS

What is at stake for the US?

Soon to be the fifth largest nuclear arsenal in the world in one of the most unstable countries in the world.

Personally, I'd love to cut a deal with the Taliban and say, you know what, if the Afghans want to live in the 12th century, go right ahead. Just remember that if anybody tries to mess with us again we will bomb you into the 4th century.

Pakistan though, terrifies me.

14. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    You, like many Americans, unfortunately, being brainwashed by our media here. Need some true understanding on Pakistan. :p

15. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, thank you for such a substantive post.

16. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. I'm just not sure how us giving billions of dollars to them does anything vis-a-vis securing that nuclear arsenal.

Our only upside is that they can't fire their nukes at us directly.

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well only part of the billions of dollars goes to securing their nuclear arsenal. A good chunk of it goes into supporting/fighting the Taliban.

I'm not sure there is a particularly easy solution to this one.

18. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Pakistan 101

OK, try to do some background here.

1. Pakistan's arch enemy is India. Mean reason is about Kashmir. No resolution in Kashmir, then no resolution in Paki-India conflict.

2. Pakistan has a geographical disadvantage in confronting with India -- lack of depth. So Pakistan considers Afghan as their depth.

3. That is why Southern Afghans, aka. Pushtuns, became Pakistan's strategic partner. And that is why Pakistan is behind Taliban.

4. So for any American success in Afghan, you have to make sure you reach your goals without undermining Pakistan's national interest.

5. Unless US can make a clear line between Taliban and AQ, then any military actions to weaken Pushtuns, will help Northern Afghans, aka. Tajiks, etc. And that is weaken Pakistan's influence and help India and Iran influence.

6. But if US's goal in Afghan is NOT about AQ, but a BIGGER pie about Central Asia, about checking Russia and China? :p

7. US money to Pakistan is buying road access. Otherwise, military will run out supply very soon.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other than number 6, which I don't understand, I don't disagree with you, but I also don't understand where you are going with it.

20. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/02/23/2081799/pakistans-intelligence-ready-to.html
    "Pakistan intelligence had no idea who Davis was or what he was doing when he was arrested ... The ISI official told the AP that Davis had contacts in the tribal regions and knew both the men he shot. He said the ISI is investigating the possibility that the encounter on the streets of Lahore stemmed from a meeting or from threats to Davis. U.S. officials deny Davis had prior contact with the men before the incident"
    "The ISI official said his agency knows and works with "the bona fide CIA people in Pakistan" but is upset that the CIA would send others over behind its back. For now, he said, his agency is not talking with the CIA at any level, including the most senior."

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't believe anything ANYBODY is saying on either side.

My rule of thumb? The CIA and ISI are lying through their teeth.

22. Shaster

Shaster Member+

Apr 13, 1999
    El Cerrito, CA, USA
    Central Asia is the main area that Big Chess Game played out.

Energy wise, it is oil/gas center after Mid East. It is also the center point for Euro-Asia continent.

If you can control here, you basically have front base to check on Russia, China and India (maybe in future plan).

If there is a new silk route being rebuilt between Europe and Asia, then it became the game changer. No one has to go through Maraca, Suiz, etc. Then mighty navy is no longer a requirement.

Currently there are two choke points.

23. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't think that is what the US is after there.

24. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
  25. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003