Paging Ray Hudson

Discussion in 'Fort Lauderdale Strikers' started by nbace, Jul 3, 2013.

1. nbace

nbace Member

Jacksonville Armada FC
    United States
    Apr 8, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love this little blurb in Greg Cote's column in the Herald...even if it's a fantasy.

CALLING RAY HUDSON!: The NASL's Fort Lauderdale Strikers, the local pro team we don't talk about, fired longtime coach Daryl Shore and seek a replacement. Natural choice: Ray Hudson, the original
    [​IMG]
    Striker from way back in the day, later coach of the former MLS Miami Fusion and DC United, and currently a soccer analyst for the network beIN Sports. Hudson, pictured, has coaching experience but, as important, is an ambassador and salesman. If anyone could build excitement to better fill Lockhart Stadium and make this team relevant in a way it isn't, it's Hudson. I have my doubts he'd accept the job, but if it isn't offered they're nuts. [Update: Spoke today to Strikers president Tom Mulroy, who said, "I don't disagree! Ray was someone I thought about when I first took over the Strikers. However to the best of my knowledge he's in a great place with his current job."]

brentgoulet repped this.
  2. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. AmericanMag

AmericanMag Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Offebacher

Offebacher Member

May 14, 2006
    Houston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This pretty much addresses most of it: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/soccer/fl-strikers-new-coach-0718-20130717,0,3787224.story

Looks like the worst team of the Spring season went out and got a guy that recently coached in the Austrian equivalent of the PDL and makes his formidable task even harder by doing it about two weeks prior to the start of the Fall season. While it certainly is theoretically possible to win the Fall Leg I'd say short of a miracle we found one team already where every game may "matter", but not for very long.

The positive side of this is that in theory he can find, assess and integrate talent (Traffic Ownership should help) but unless he can do it really, really quickly you are probably looking at 2014 before you can expect to see results.

Antique repped this.
  5. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would cut and paste it here but I know that the Mods would literally take off my head and banish me to Siberia...so I will PM you. And anyone else who wants the article, just let me know.

7. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #8 Antique, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Thank you. Please do PM me with the article or a summation.

ETA: Thanks. It was worth the read.....:thumbsup:

8. evan eleven

evan eleven Member

Jun 4, 2009
    California
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    good article. i wonder why NASL can't get Ray Hudson & Co. to call some NASL games, either with BeIn or freelance style. it would be a few steps down from Barcelona and Real Madrid games, but it would be great publicity for NASL, and Hudson could tell tales of the old days...
    didn't realize he calls all the games from a studio in Florida, so there's really no reason he couldn't do Strikers games as well...

9. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe his BeIn contract won't let him?

Smoke & Mirrors repped this.
  10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+