Pablo Mastroeni

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Adidas4Life, Oct 10, 2012.

1. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i really cant post here

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then don't say anything. Otherwise you're just showing off.

3. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on. You know you want to. Just use poor grammar and spelling like the rest of us and you are absolved of all sins and responsibility!

Jasonma repped this.
  4. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not at all what it is... was asked between be quiet between my first post and my last 1

5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, my apologies.

6. COYP

COYP Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Denver
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Putting health issues aside I don't really see the purpose in resigning Pablo at this point. We are clearly in a massive rebuild and could use that salary elsewhere. We should build for the future. If he wants to come back as a coach fine but that is different than signing him as a player.

I could potentially see it if JL was definitely being traded or if we were unable to sign Thomas for next year. We certainly don't need all three and O'Neil. If Pablo signs someone else most certainly needs to go.

7. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Resigning Pablo at this point would be evidence that the club doesn't have, or is unsure of, their vision for the future.

22SteveD repped this.
  8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say that's accurate if they re-sign him at a high number/as a starter. If they sign him at a lower number (like sub $150K) in an obvious bench or player/coach role then that's a sign that they are giving the biggest player in club history (sorry 'Celo, you've been passed) a chance to go out on his own terms and know he's not really a part of the on-going plan.

Rod1916 and jayd8888 repped this.
  9. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand MLS contract with players does not allow this, we can only resign Pablo at his current rate unless we waive him and grab him in re- entry draft stage 2. See re-entry rules:

(G) RE-ENTRY PROCESS

The 2012 Re-Entry Process will commence after MLS Cup. The priority order for the Re-Entry Draft is reverse order of finish in 2012, taking into account playoff performance.

Available to all teams in Stage 1 of the Re-Entry draft will be:

Players who are at least 23 years old and have a minimum of three years experience in MLS whose options were not exercised by their clubs (available at option salary for 2013).

Players who are at least 25 years old with a minimum of four years of MLS experience who are out of contract and whose club does not wish to re-sign them at their previous salary (available for at least their 2012 salary).

Players who are at least 30 years old with a minimum of eight years of MLS experience who are out of contract and whose club does not wish to re-sign them (available for at least 105% of their 2012 salary).
    Players who are not selected in Stage 1 of the Re-Entry Draft will be made available in Stage 2. Clubs selecting players in Stage 2 will negotiate a new salary with the player.

Players who remain unselected after Stage 2 will be available to any MLS club on a first come, first serve basis.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, not the case. If so, then no team could ever re-sign a player to a lower salary, yet just this season both Cummings and Moor were re-signed to lower salaries (along with many other MLS players in the last couple of years). Also they were talking to Casey about a lower contract before they waived him, but Casey (apparently) wasn't interested. What those rules leave out is that the player can still agree to lower contracts with the team if they want to.

The Re-Entry Draft is for players who don't agree to their current team's contract offers. It was put in to give players some limited form of free agency instead of being in a Kevin Hartman situation, where KC offered him a lower contract, Hartman refused, but under the old rules since KC did offer him a contract he was stuck and couldn't go anywhere else in MLS unless somebody traded with KC for his rights, even if they wanted to offer Hartman a bigger contract (which Dallas did want to do).

Now in that scenario after Hartman refused he would have gone into the Re-Entry Draft under the rules you posted.

11. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess that accounts for slight variations of each age category I missed first go

So, I guess that is the window if player is willing to re-sign for lessor amount before re-entry draft deadline.

Probably what Casey was let go, he would not accept less $ for 2013 and signing new contract that would replace his option.

12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, that's why the teams have exclusive negotiating rights between the end of the season and Phase 1 and between Phase 1 and Phase 2 (if the player isn't picked in Phase 1). That allows them to offer newly structured contracts (usually at a lower number) to those players.

13. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    I actually think this is quite likely, given his history as a leader. Bring him back as a player/coach to drive intensity and get him ready to step into either a coach or front office role next year. Maybe even get him some playing time toward the end of the season for a big send-off. The marketing people would be thrilled!

I for one am OK with it, unless it means we lose Hendry or one of those in the future plans. If it means we lost Palguta or one of the obvious bench players for his spot, that is OK.

14. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hinchey may have let something slip in twitter exchange with dp

15. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just reading this on Twitter as well. Ginja's not going anywhere as he just redid his contract, so it could have something to do with Pablo?

16. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    That's my guess, Pablo at the cheaper rate. No DP.

17. BYLRPhil

BYLRPhil Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How does player coach work as far as the payroll is concerned? Like, half goes to player salary cap, and half is coach salary?

18. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its never been clarified to the public, as far as I know.

My guess from these tweets is that all 3 are back, Pablo on a much smaller salary. I think Jon's use of "dp" refers to the Denver Post, not Designated Player.

19. railwaystand

railwaystand Member

Jul 13, 2011
    So, just imagine for a moment a different scenario, that is that Pablo got made an offer and it wasn't enough, how would you guys all feel if Pablo ended up in the draft and played a year for another club? Not saying it will happen but, its as likely as some of the conjecture that's going on here?

20. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    I don't think that is a viable scenario at this point, since Pablo wasn't on the list of players who were cut/option not exercised/available for the waiver draft. Jason?

If it were a viable scenario...I wouldn't be as upset as I was when the Rapids lowballed Casey and Wynne. I can get them offering a low figure with some perks (ie. player-coach, future coaching or broadcasting position with the team, et.c) and it'd be completely understandable with Pablo's particular injury.

But seeing him in another team's jersey in his first game back would definitely sting.

COMtnGuy repped this.
  21. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, he wasn't listed as eligible. Since I personally believe he has a no-trade clause, that pretty much means the team has either agreed to bring him back or he's retiring.

If he could play elsewhere though it would hurt, like when Balboa went to NY, but not as badly as where ever Casey may end up.

22. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    "Pablo" just called me to say he just signed a new contract.

jayd8888 repped this.
  23. crazyjon85

crazyjon85 Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well since its out i might as well tell you what i was told... pablo told the rapids that he had intended to retire... the rapids team docs thought his pcs had been going on too long... turns out they were right... it was psychosomatic... sent him to a psychotherapist where he received hypnotherapy or some other treatment... he went home slept woke up the next morning feeling like a million bucks ran a phisio test had no issues and reupped for something low... will come off the bench and mentor oneill

RapidStorm, deuteronomy and jayd8888 repped this.
  24. Cos_Mos

Cos_Mos Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Broomfield
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great news! I think the importance of his absence last year is very under emphasized on forum.

Jimmydinho repped this.
  25. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this is the case then that is awesome to hear. It makes you feel better about him going back out there.