P/P/P: EASTERN FINAL: Houston Dynamo @ DC United, Sunday, Nov. 18

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Nov 12, 2012.

?

Result?

1. Dynamo advance

15 vote(s)
    57.7%
  2. Dynamo fail to advance

2 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. Use your Noodle! Bobby Boswell did.

9 vote(s)
    34.6%
  1. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Who: Houston Dynamo @ DC United, Eastern Conference Final, Leg 2
    When: Sunday, November 18 @ 3:00 PM CST
    Where: RFK Stadium, Washington, DC
    Records: DC United (17-10-7) 58 PTS, 2nd place in EAST
    Houston Dynamo (14-9-11) 53 PTS, 5th in EAST
    TV: NBC Sports Network
    Radio: 950/ 850

This is the second leg of a home-and-away series between the two teams. Total goals decides the series. There is no away goal rule in MLS. If the series is even after regulation time then overtime will be played and then Kicks from the Penalty Spot if required.

DCU is now 2-1-2 in their last five games with 7 goals scored and 7 allowed. Their 9 game unbeaten streak was ended by the Dynamo on Sunday. At home this year in the regular season United was 12-1-4 with a goal difference of +20.

Houston is 3-2-0 in the last five games with 7 goals scored and 5 allowed. The Dynamo were 3-5-9 on the road this year in league play with a -12 goal difference.

anderson repped this.
  2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo @ DC United, all-time:

04/15/06 DCU 2-0 HOU
    05/26/07 DCU 2-1 HOU
    07/19/08 DCU 1-3 HOU SuperLiga
    07/23/08 DCU 0-2 HOU
    04/04/09 DCU 1-0 HOU
    09/25/10 DCU 1-3 HOU
    06/25/11 DCU 2-2 HOU
    04/28/12 DCU 3-2 HOU

That's 3-4-1 overall with 13 goals scored and 12 allowed.

3. Hungryjack

Hungryjack Member+

Jul 8, 2006
    Houston
    I don't expect a 90-minute full-court press like we got out of Sporting. DC is a different kind of team. They will be more deliberate in their setting up of plays. I think we can hold a 2-goal lead, but there is so much up in the air right now with injuries on both sides that anything could happen.

I do predict we will see the return of DeRosario, although not in the starting XI.

JC507 repped this.
  4. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If DeRo is on the bench, I hope Olsen pulls a Vermes-Bravo from last year.

JC507 repped this.
  5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are we playing for a CCL berth for 13-14 as well? SJ and SKC qualified already, so I believe the MLS Cup winner and runner-up get in next.

This run is pretty fun thus far. Who would have thought guys who couldn't make the gameday 18 a month ago would be starting these games. Hell, just about every player on the roster except for maybe Rolfe, Soto and the 3rd keeper made valuable contributions during the season or CCL.

redinthemorning, DNez2001, JC507 and 3 others repped this.
  6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yes, we are.
    USSF #1 - MLS Cup winner
    USSF #2 - Supporters' Shield winner - San Jose
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    USSF #3 - MLS Cup loser
    USSF #4 - U.S. Open Cup winner - Kansas City

If they do the tournament the same way next year, the top two go into Pot A with the top two Mexican teams and 4 other league champions. The second two go into Pot B.

7. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the previous thread, I stated that I thought this would turnout like the KC series with us winning 2-0 at home (3-1 is pretty much the same) and then losing 1-0 on the road.

While I agree that we may not see the same kind of press like we did against KC at their place, I do think that Dynamo possession will be limited as D.C. will do their best to harass and harry us in the midfield. I think again, our chances may be limited to set pieces.

It also all depends more on who is available from injury. Losing Pontius and McDonald for them was a big blow. If they can get either or both back, that will certainly help them. Saragusa, I'm not sure about as I'm not really as familiar with his play. Naturally, if Dwayne DeRosario is available, then that could be the key to get them back into this series.

With us, Taylor, Carr, and Clark are all on the mend and it would certainly help us to get any or all of those three back.

Looks like the medical staff for both teams are under pressure this week.

Grimmjow316 and *rey* repped this.
  8. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both teams' injury situations make it difficult to assess this game, but you'd rather have the experienced playoff coach than the young coach. I think Olsen will be successful over time, but Dom knows the drill right now.

9. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any updates on Moffat's condition?

10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I want De Ro to get back in this storyline.
    I want all players at full health.
    Thus, when we win the tie, nobody up in D.C. can get sand in their vagina. Something I didn't see coming from them after all these years following our league.

11. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    I love DeRo. I was SeaTac a few years ago eating some Taco Bell and we sat and visited about loyalty to a city, etc. I go on some soliloquy about some Houston nonsense (I was tired-this was before our red eye) and he looks at me and says Man, that's deep coming from a guy eating a Burrito Supreme.

I got offended for a second and then we both started laughing. Funny sh#$ happens when you haven't slept for days.

I miss that guy.

DNez2001, Grimmjow316, TX Bill and 2 others repped this.
  12. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got out of a late platform topsides "meeting" at BWW there off of Smith downtown circa 2007. Guess who pulls up to the corner where me n a bunch of other downtown Metro riders are posting up at waiting for the next PnR to show...De Ro in his convertible beamer. He's there, I yell out to him, he's looking around like who the fvck is yelling DALE DYNAMO GO BRUJO! at a red light. He spots me and as the light changes starts singing the chant with pride, fist pumping and shit.
    Yeah, that guy. Fvcking miss that Canuck!

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Before we get all DeRo nostalgic, how many guys and which ones would you like to cut from the squad to fit him and his salary on the team now?

And remember this, DeRo has not played in an MLS playoff match since . . . . the 2008 Dynamo loss to RBNY at Robertson.

14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is saying we should trade for him. Just remembering how classy and awesome he was/is.

That said, whomever wins this series will indeed be determined by the medical staff. Really makes one rethink the whole playoff setup. Another discussion for another thread though

jvilla07 and CeltTexan repped this.
  15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What gets me is the Go Big lip service, and yet last season's MVP El Brujo De Rosario and MVP runner up Brad Davis...could very easily still be in the same f'n midfield!!!

DonJuego repped this.
  16. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    whoa I never said trade for him, I just said we had TBell together. Damn, smokey-just cuz you break flour tortillas together don't mean we're signing his ass to DP money.

regardless, if he comes back this weekend, things get way more interesting.

BTW-there is way more to the SeaTac story but the rest involves a dude with really bad gas on the flight back and is best left for another time. :thumbsup:

17. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed on the scheduling. I've pointed that out multiple places; you have a seven month season and then jam 12 of the 15 most important games into about an 11-day window. Makes no sense, no excuses for calendars, holidays, stadiums, TV, etc. Do Wild Card Wed, 1st leg of conf. semis that weekend, 2nd leg the following weekend, conf finals 1st leg the next, etc. If they want to move a series to a Thursday-Thursday (the non-wild card series) for TV then fine.

Both teams yesterday put out several players who if truth serum was given to the coaches, never would have expected to put them out there in such a crucial match except for injuries.

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Format doormat.
    Just play and let the professional players sort out any winners.

19. soccerscrub

soccerscrub Member

Feb 7, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any chance of MLS ever going to a "FIFA schedule"?

20. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    What is a FIFA schedule? Hint it doesn't exist. :)

El Naranja and JC507 repped this.
  21. metroag

metroag Da Bomb Diggity

Mar 2, 2006
    La hacienda
    half of Heinz field is empty tonight. Do you think anyone would show up to any games North of DC after November?

troutseth repped this.
  22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    High School football ends when up North? College football?
    Follow that as a measuring stick if we are talking professional soccer.
    At least be demanding to play like college gridiron. NCAA soccer goes till the second weekend of December. Pros n us fans should at least be the same.

23. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Or January or February.....

24. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm having trouble envisioning the most healthy-food conscious player in MLS eating Taco Bell.

25. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We know this drill now. Same as SKC.

I don't think the Dynamo will come out and play much more than they intended to @KC. Except DCU does not press so high up the field and does not have SKC's defense.

I suspect the Dynamo could well score a goal or two at RFK.

We know a 2-goal lead can disappear awfully fast. If the Dynamo play well however two goals should be hard to get. DCU will come out flying. Absorb pressure and survive the first 15-minutes and then settle into the game. Nip a goal and the thing is over. Concede and it is game on.

Should be a wonderful time in our nation's capital.

JC507 repped this.