P/I/P: Revs @ Chicago, NBCSN, 4/19 4PM

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Apr 15, 2014.

1. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seen enough of Sene and Bunbury. Heaps please sub them out. #useless

BUSA Bulldog repped this.
  3. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well, the goal was poor, we should have won possession, but instead lost it and they walked right through us. Farrell showed his youth/lack of experience on that goal, it would not have happened had JoGo been there. I know some people don't think there's no such thing as luck, so I'll say we were fortuitous to have a ref that would give that penalty. There was contact, but when the ball has been played so far, where it looks like the player won't get to it, I'd think a lot of refs wouldn't give a penalty there.

The team really hasn't done much of worth, I actually feel bad for Bunbury today, he's pretty much just had a lot of balls randomly kicked forward, nowhere near him, that he's just had to try to chase down, and there's been a lot of space from him to the midfielders behind him, so even if he was able to chase one down, if he wasn't behind the defense already, he would have been alone to take the defense on himself. I was away from the TV a bit in the last few minutes of the half, but has Sene done anything at all today?

4. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs playing up a man with around 15 minutes to go. Can they do anything thing with the advantage?

5. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Bobby Bobby!

I might have my Revs colored glasses on, but the handball looked like ball to hand didn't it?

6. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While I don't really dispute the call, it did appear that KA had absolutely no intent on handling the ball. Is a Red Card required in those types of situations or is it up to the officials discretion?

7. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the arm, or the side of the body/armpit area? Looks like the latter to me.

[​IMG]

8. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I liked when Bunbury got switched to the wing. Maybe Heaps will notice that's a better idea than forward? And way to go, Bobby, blocking the PK and throwing his body in the way of the rebound. He also did great catching a header on the line (where he got pushed :mad:! into the post). Maybe one or two questions on his distribution, but he did alright.

And was Tierney reeeeeeaaaaallly the best option to put in at left mid at halftime, Mr. Heaps :cautious:?

9. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for this. Looks like 90% body, 10% arm. I think he dove towards the shot, and turns his head and upper body away from the ball, so as not to handle it, but it ends up hitting the side of his body, instead of what would have been his chest. I'm surprised there isn't another angle of the play out there...

10. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I would assume this Red will be overturned no?

11. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Real-time I thought it had hit him in the face but based on the screenshot above, looks like it was both body and arm, in which case i think you have to give a PK. meaning that if his arm wasn't there it may have gone in, ricocheting off his body. however the red card was ridiculous. it was definitely not an intentional handball, his hand was not in an unnatural position.

Overall we played like garbage. Sene has been awful all season but this was one of his worst outings. Slowing down counterattacks, offering no threat on goal. If Heaps is going to keep his faith in Bunbury, put him on the wing in place of Sene and put Davies/Bengston in up top.

Farrell had a bad game for him but he's so fast and beastly that he could make up for it... most of the time. Shouldn't have gotten beat by Amirikwa.

My MOTM is Nguyen. Only guy who looked like he was going to create a goal.

Diego actually looked pretty good prior to his knock. He looked like he was getting some freedom and popping up all around the field.

Did anyone see who put Alston in on goal for his PK? Was it Nguyen or Kobayashi?

12. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    That was a dull game played by two teams which are not in the play-off picture. I'm done b###hing about Sene, so let me say instead that Nguyen is the man, and both Dorman and Shuttleworth are growing on me. Revolution desperately needs to hire a couple of starting players, especially a target forward.

bwidell and Soc4Us repped this.
  13. fundip

fundip Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I thought it was Dorman

14. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going back to thinking that Heaps is clueless. Well, at least on offense. There is NO PLAN... pure kick n run. Sene is useless since his injury. Sit him down now and if that doesnt wake him up... cut his ass. He's just taking up space

I don't think Alston handed it intentionally and the more I look at their goal, the more offsides it looks

15. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was Nguyen.

16. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's see, we sucked, Chicago sucked, and the yellow team sucked even worse (did Stoica get 25% of his calls right?). I hope no one was watching this nationally televised game. Not a great advertisement for MLS. The only good news is that it was probably the right result.

17. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, a draw was a fair result for these two mediocre teams.

Sene is a waste of time at right mid. Put him up top or sit him.
    Bring Ryan Guy back. He'd at least bring more energy to the position.

18. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not a very good advertisement for the league. Ugly game (exciting finish though).

More importantly from a Revs perspective - we had, what, 40% of the ball again, tops? Woof.

Bunbury, again, could do nothing as the lone striker. We looked a lot better once he shifted to wing.

We kept forcing the ball to Tierney looking to have him create chances and once again, he failed to do so. When are we going to stop with that???

We had 15+ minutes of 11-on-10 and were lucky to escape with the 1-1 draw.

On an optimistic note, that was a real nice ball played by Nguyen to spring Alston for what ended up being the PK. Bobby was great. Bengston looked reasonably active and decent again.

The big problem right now is that we are running a system that was only successful last year when we had Juan Agudelo as the 1 in the 4-5-1. It was pretty unsuccessful when he wasn't in the lineup. Unless the FO plans on adequately replacing Agudelo with a player of similar talent and style, they are going to need to modify the system if they are going to score goals from the run of play.

19. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. KapeGuy

KapeGuy Member+

Mar 21, 2010
    Cape Cod
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everyone remembers it this way, but a lot of the time last year Agudelo was on the wing while someone else (Imbongo, maybe Bengtsen?) played striker.

Agudelo did make a huge difference -- if you look at points per game with and without him, we we were Supporters Shield material with Agudelo and out of playoffs without. But it was not because he was a hold up striker -- it was because he was both a deadly finisher and a creative set-up guy, whether he operated as striker or wing. The formation is not the problem. The problem is Revs need one more dangerous attacker -- could be either a wing or a striker.

metoo and Jon Martin repped this.
  21. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A parameter I've heard used is a good team will tie on the road and win at home. We have played most of our games on the road so our overall point total vs other East teams is hard to judge. If I use this metric of what we would should see is we are playing well --we are minus three points from the ideal. I didn't run this metric for the H-A records of the other teams in the East.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  22. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bingo - and that dangerous attacker is not Teal. I'm not even sure he's the best option at this point

Anybody that thinks we're playing "OK" at this point is not dealing in reality. We have nothing in the final 1/3 of the field. No build up, no finish, no attack plan.... it's total accidental offense. Heaps needs to hire an assistant that has some clue on how to build an attack. Offense is not where his expertise lies and it shows.

23. Joeyfitzclick

Joeyfitzclick Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Newport RI
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Was Guy released or traded ? Is he still in MLS ?

24. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    This. I am also in the camp that says the system is a side issue. We could rearrange the players, and in so doing solve some problems and create others. What's missing are more good players. I don't hate Tierney for flubbing the GWG, I don't want to send Bunbury to Rochester for not being the hold-up man, I don't want to sack Soares for not being a better passer, I don't mock Barnes and Farrell for failing to contain Amerikwa - All of them would look better if we had more talent on the field. Under the circumstances, George is right. A draw is a fair result, and a reasonable expectation for what we put on the field.

bwidell repped this.
  25. joegrav

joegrav Member+

Jun 9, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I think 90% of people on here agree that the Revs did not adequately replace what they lost (a recurring theme with this team) let alone make any moves to take a good team and make it a real contender.

But putting that issue aside, I think it's fair to say the current personnel could be used more effectively. I could be wrong, I guess - but I just don't see how continuing to trot Teal out there as a lone striker is ever going to produce anything but more of the same.

I agree with those who said they felt bad for Bunbury - he didn't have much to work with. But yeah, let's try Imbongo there. Maybe Teal on the wing. See how it goes. As it is now, offense requires a minor miracle.