P/I/P: Revs @ Chicago, NBCSN, 4/19 4PM

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Apr 15, 2014.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still no news on JoGo.

Chicago has 5 ties in 6 games, but no wins. They've given up 10 goals, but they have scored 9.

Can the Revs win back-to-back games? Can the Revs score in back-to-back games?

2. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Jeff Larentowicz has looked good for the Fire. tear...

If Alston doesn't start after scoring the winning goal and making MLS team of the week, I'll scream.

I'd like to see:

Bengston
    Neumann-Nguyen-Caldwell-Diego
    Dorman
    Alston-Soares-Farrell-Barnes
    Knittleworth

I'd like to see Bunbury and Davies get time as subs, as well as Kobayashi if we need to slow down the game.

And maybe Imbongo!?!??!?!!??!?

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how close is Rowe to coming back?

4. metoo

metoo Member+

Jun 17, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I've much preferred Kobayashi to Caldwell this year. And unless he's suddenly tearing it up in practice, I can't see Neumann starting, let him get some time as a sub first. Bunbury has done fine as a midfielder, better than Sene, I'd like to see Teal start there, where it's not a problem to have a guy who prefers to pass to others rather than shoot.

bwidell repped this.
  5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be glad when Rowe is healthy. That will probably mean Kobayashi heads to the bench. not a fan, terrible first touch

6. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think Kobayashi has been pretty good for us. Never looks like he can win a game singlehandedly like Nguyen or Rowe, but the vast majority of his influence is positive IMO.

bwidell repped this.
  7. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I had to guess, based off the way Rowe's injury was reported, Gonçalves will be missing out this weekend.

8. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    Yeah, I'd agree. That they don't seem to know the extent of the injury makes me think it's likely going to take at least a few weeks recovery.

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think you're taking that tweet too literally. I think they know, they just don't have to say yet, so they aren't going to.

I think that he's probably unlikely to play mostly based on how well Farrell filled in for him. If Tierney's healthy, they'll probably bring him back on the left and put Alston on the right (with Soares and Farrell in the middle).

10. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not letting the Fire know (for as long as possible) if he will or won't be able to play so they can better plan might be a useful ploy :cool:

11. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Barnes > Tierney

johnh00, metoo and NFLPatriot repped this.
  12. huskydeac

huskydeac Member+

Mar 31, 2009
    I thought about that, but then why say anything if you're Heaps? It's not like a real media source was asking for a comment, their own PR tweeted that.

Guess we'll see this weekend.

13. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You personall > Tierney.

Playing with 10 men > Tierney

14. revsrock

revsrock Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    Boston Ma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it makes one difference. A smart coach will have his team practice with JoGo being in there all week. And if he doesn't the player going into his place will be a worse player. And again a smart coach can make adjustments to his tactics in game.

The best coaches in sports plan for the best players to be playing for the opponents and make last minute adjustments or in game adjustments. The ones who don't do these don't last very long in coaching.

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it isn't like, say, a baseball team preparing to face a certain pitcher, and they will plan their lineup around that. Then, by throwing another guy out there, especially one who throws from the other side, it can make a mess of the best laid plans.

I think Chicago is figuring JoGo will play, but if not, they get a lucky break.

16. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm not a Tierney hater, I think he can definitely contribute. He was part of a very good defense last year. He is great at some things (crossing, passing), doesn't do stupid things to get carded, and mainly is handicapped by being slow. But I also think Barnes is seriously underrated.

17. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The problem is Tierney's passing and crossing has *also* been very poor this year, on top of his usual deficiencies (lack of speed, ballwatching), so he really should see very limited time.

Barnes I agree is underrated and played well this year, but he's a natural CB and has a tendency to give the ball away when he's playing in a fullback position. That's why I'd like to see a true fullback play one of those spots, like I dunno, a CONCACAF international or someone along those lines...

alter repped this.
  18. Achowat

Achowat Member+

Mar 21, 2011
    Revere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there was a Tierney who was a great crosser or passer, I'd love it.

The problem is that he thinks he's a good crosser and passer and ends up giving away the ball in stupid spots too often.

johnh00 repped this.
  19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How many games has Rowe won singlehandedly? He has 2 game winners. Would love to see him score more in clutch situations as he develops.

20. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  22. bwidell

bwidell Member+

Apr 19, 2005
    Manchester, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't tell if you're knocking Rowe or defending him... But he had 12 goals and 9 assists in all competitions last year. Pretty damn good production from a second year player.

Jon Martin repped this.
  23. rasoccer

rasoccer Member

Mar 4, 2014
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Whether or not it's useful, Heaps is not going to say Goncalves will play even if he knows he will. He showed this earlier when the contract stuff was going on. I think no news is good news.

24. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    90th minute goal against our #2 (IMO) rivals (in preseason). too bad he won't be replicating it on Saturday

25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's good production from a raw numbers perspective but the nuance is when the goals are scored, a point Twellman made on the Revs season preview, which I agree with. Last season, he scored the majority of his 7 goals either in losses or blow out wins. Would love to see more game winners from him, is all. His assists were timely so that's good, especially for an AM. Like I said, I'm happy with his progress but just have higher expectations than most revs fans apparently.