P/I/P: #4 - L.A. Galaxy vs. Sporting Kansas City; 4/7/12, 1:00 P.M. PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Hachiko, Apr 1, 2012.

1. generaladmissision18

Jul 29, 2011
    Highland park, ca
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For some reason I'm not too upset aboutthis game. Our offense was terrible but defense improved a bit. I actually think SKC played kinda chilly, hitting our players. Terrible reffing though.

2. Pegasus503

Pegasus503 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego

the ref comment was for the bogus yellow card....

3. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game was disgraceful, absolutely disgraceful. No signs of any sort of fight in the attack or character.

4. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Because you’re a pedantic troll – the three “periods” are actually a single grammatical mark called an ellipsis, furthermore there should be a space in either side of an ellipsis. Additionally you are missing an apostrophe to indicate ownership.

5. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK that's it now I am livid! This sh/t needs to stop NOW ASAP! We are playing like sh/t, defending, midfield, strikers, coaching, physio's, even armando the equipment manager is at fault! Let's quit pretending like there is nothing wrong and that there is time, That is like the ostrich sticking it's head in the sand. We look like a pub team right now. This is beyond me how we can can go from a championship caliber team to a team just what 1 point ahead of sh/tvas USA? Please someone tell me we are not last place in the western conference? :mad:

6. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Excrutiatingly frustrating when looking for a goal in the last 5 mins.

Better defensively today but one mistake, one stupid mistake cost us. Our offense needs to improve. I feel for Keane. No service. I get the feeling Landon played with an injury. Didn't look like himself. I'll also give Meyer credit. Gave Bruce a reason not to play Boyens

7. Pegasus503

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    lol... Saunders got save of the game...big surprize... did SKC's keeper touch the ball?

8. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not trolling, I'm not antagonizing, but as a very superstitious person... are we really going to not see a trend in P/I/P starters and team performance???

It may be childish, it may be rubbish but none the less the results speak for themselves... I wasn't even surprised we lost, we were doomed from the start.

Even if Hachiko was my best friend, I would politely ask him to not do a P/I/P for the next couple games just to see what happened...

9. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well a few good takeaways. Other than Sean's bonehead move on the goal, we looked decent in back. Also, Saunders looks to be getting back into shot stopping form.

Unfortunately, our midfield is absolutely abhorrent. Devoid of any ideas or work ethic. No off the ball movement, no ability to pass. It is inexcusable to have no shots on goal, as well as attempting long ball after long ball into Keane and Barrett. Slow to get back on defense, no ability to retain possession to give the back line a break.

I'm glad we're working on defense and that it's getting better, but that was just embarrassing on offense.

10. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Superstition is bullshit.

11. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    This is what you reap when a third of your team misses pre-season. One player fine, but not three.

12. Pegasus503

Jul 7, 2008
    San Diego
    I was pleased the Juninho came back for another season when it was announced.

But the guy who came back was not the same guy who left us in November.

This was a physical game with a ref who let much go, I actually missed Birchall and his ability to "get stuck in" to mix it up in the mid-field

Also this isn't the Buddle of two seasons back, he's older and so much slower.

13. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    It’s the Buddle of three seasons back, it’s why we didn’t spend DP money on him back then.

14. klpv82

klpv82 Member+

Mar 8, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else think that the reason why our offense is so unproductive is the mentality of long ball after long ball? Of course it's fine when Beckham's playing because he can actually be accurate, but when he's not on the field, like today, all we do is give the ball away when it's played long. Then when we try to keep possession and make short passes, we still give away the ball way too much. Maybe it's because the team is so used to giving Becks the ball and having him kick it long...

15. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He made a great pass to Robbie Keane, who then slipped a pass through to Magee. The announcers spent a long time praising Keane, but Buddle was important to that play, too.

16. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham's long passing wouldn't have changed a thing today. His "accuracy" over long distances is incredibly overstated. Even if he was as good as ESPN loves to fantasize about, when you're throwing long balls into Robbie Keane (5'9") and Chad Barrett (5'11") while they are being marked by Collin (6'2") and Cesar (6'1"), you're not going to get anywhere.

With or without Beckham, we should only be playing long if we've got the likes of Peter Crouch and John Hartson up top. And no, Buddle isn't that player.

What we missed today is his play making abilities. Not the 60 yard passes, but the 10, 20, 30 yard passes that open the game up and create spaces for the rest of the team to operate in.

We've got plenty of technical players who can play the ball around, but it requires constant off the ball movement. Smart movement. Not just that, but you need some play making abilities to spring the final pass. Magee, Stephens and Juninho aren't playmakers. They have the ability to play a pass, but they aren't playmakers. Donovan is, but from right mid there is only so much you can do, plus he had a poor game. Maybe Sarvas can be a play maker, but from what I've seen thus far, I wouldn't count on it.

I just see a team with no drive and no ideas.

17. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Franklin, what a stinker.

Donovan looked like he was trying not to aggravate his injury. Despite his lack of effort on defense, we did look better than we have.

KC is a very good possession team, and they played more physically than we did and got some calls.

Overall, I think this is something to build on. As in, defense is better, Franklin needs to improve or sit, and the offense needs some major work.

18. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I can't be too angry about this result. For the most part, the defense looked like that of old. Every player staying sharp, doubling up and winning balls back. Not bad, excepting the mental gaffe from Franklin. Our offense looked like that of old, too: one-dimensional and sorta lacking ideas. I could see Landon trying to create but this wasn't his best game. A step in the right direction. We figured out how to stop leaking goals (and the best attack in the league is a good test) now let's figure out how to create some.

19. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Ref's perspective, Landon came with a high boot. It's not outrageous to see a yellow card there. The camera perspective showed that it wasn't aimed at the player, but meant to block a cross. Ref couldn't see that.

And to anyone expecting anything other that a poorly called game and unprofessional effort from this group of MLS referees needs to set their alarm and wake up out of dream land. If a team expects it, they are just plain stupid. Any team that puts itself in a position where a ref can outrageously affect the outcome of a game gets exactly what they deserve.

20. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was painful to watch. I tell my GU-9 team all the time that if we can't keep possession of the ball we can't play the game, we can only chase the other team. LA chased this game from the start. From the fiasco in the CCC I have felt our midfield was severely lacking and today we saw that in spades. Keane and Buddle got no service, our MF was completely outworked by theirs. Landon was not a factor in any way. Magee aside from two half chances did nothing (including a failure to close Convey down on the goal). Junihno is not the same player. Stephens isn' the answer. Sarvas might be better but needs time to adjust. Beckham is in decline. Going to be a long season.

21. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been stewing all afternoon about this loss, and the way we played, but I just went back and watched the hilights, and to be honest, this is the type of away game we have played against tough teams over the past three years, and the strategy has worked for us. I'm not saying I'm necessarily happy abouy it, but this may well have been the best defensive game we've played all year. KC may well be the best team in MLS right now, and we are clearly NOT in the top five. That said, I think this was a step in the right direction. We got back to focusing on defending, and with the exception of the goal, and the play where Kamara tripped AJ to get in one-on-one with Saunders, they didn't have any great chances.

We definitely need to get better, but this was improvement. The one thing that bothered me was that I thought Donovan's defending was not particularly good... at least it wasn't consistent. He doesn't look 100%

22. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree.
    At this point what I am looking for is a complete game from LA. If the result ends in a 0-0 then so be it. I want to see solid passing, solid defending, solid movement on and off the ball. One thing that this team was before we won the title was hungry and prepared. We are like Rocky in Rocky 3. A champion that is easy to defeat. We came into this season without Leonardo, Omar, Berhalter, Hejduk, Birchall and Ricketts and we have suffered the side effects. We thought the addition of new offensive players would result in goals by the tons but we haven't had an offensive minded coach on this team since Rudd Guilt.

Again, I just want to see a complete game where we play like the same team that walked off the pitch after the MLS Cup or even that pitch in Australia a few months back.

23. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlight Time Folks

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMwQ5sQBl-I"]HIGHLIGHTS: Sporting KC vs LA Galaxy - YouTube[/ame]

24. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county

My take exactly. We took a step in the right direction, if Sean hand’t switched off we walk away with a point and a clean sheet. It wasn't pretty, but then a lot of matches the past 2-3 years weren't pretty. Sadly Bruce & AEG badly mismanaged the off-season and we're paying for it early on.