P/I/P: #4 - L.A. Galaxy vs. Sporting Kansas City; 4/7/12, 1:00 P.M. PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Hachiko, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

Watch - ESPN,ESPN Deportes
    Listen - 1330 AM (SP), AM 1150, Galaxy Gameday Live, lagalaxy.com

Previous Game

LA GALAXY 1-3 NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION

Discuss.

2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we don't sort out the defense?

It's going to be UGLY.

3. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Adam Serrano ‏ @adamserrano
    Arena says that Landon Donovan expected to be available next week [as in, for SKC game].

4. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While the English superstar may have been frustrated at his removal, Arena said the match came down to other factors.

Hopefully he’s ready to be part of the next game,” Arena offered. “I’m sure he’s not pleased about it but that’s not the issue in the game. The issue for the game was 11 players for New England soundly outplayed the 11 players for the Galaxy."

5. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Never thought I'd be scared of Sapong and Bunbury but with out D, I really am. If Kansas City is smart, they will just put in a lot of crosses to those two cause who will clear them away?

6. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    KC's offense is about 5 times better then new england so I'm predicting 10-0 after 20 minutes this time.

Seriously, I think the Galaxy will benefit greatly from taking a much more defensive/counter approach to this game which they will do so because they are on the road.

I see a draw.

7. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope we get a draw. If the defense plays like they did yesterday, 7-2. And not in favor of us. Sapong, Kamara and Zusi will eat us alive.

8. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. I think a hard fought, defense first 0-0 draw would almost be preferable to a 3-2 win. We need to get back to what won us two shields in a row. Play smart, play tight, play on the counter, regardless of who is on the field.

9. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know what bugs me? If we had a decent defense, we should be transitioning out of that philosophy.

I wholeheartedly agree with it for now. It's how we should be playing on the road against SKC. And if we don't have the D, it's how we should be playing period.

But eventually Bruce needs to get this team out of that philosophy. He doesn't have the defense to do it, but he has the offense. We need to move past this as one of the members of MLS that has the talent [on offense] to do so. Can he take us there? Don't know.

10. GalaxyKoa

GalaxyKoa Member+

Jul 18, 2007
    North County
    Club:
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with all of this. I think Bruce attempted to transition to that this year and has not done well with it. I wonder how much it would be worth it to have Bruce cede a bit of tactical control and bring in an accomplished assistant to be his "offensive coordinator", to borrow an NFL term, while he concentrates on what he's good at, which is building a team and making that team's defense solid.

11. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree with this. With the weapons we have, we shouldn't be looking as clueless as we do on offense or relying completely on the counter.

People aren't making the right runs, and tactically people are out of position. There's some strategy here that just isn't working. Someone needs to be reviewing game tape on offense as well to identify our problems, but so far we seem to be doing the same old crap.

I just realized we are in last place in the West. Depressed.

12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    News of Becks having a hamstring injury now going around. Being that none of the reporters here talked about it, I think The Sun is making crap up. Also - I'm sure they picked up their bust up story from Twitter.

So, does he actually have a hamstring injury? We'll know depending on if he's in training tomorrow.

13. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I offered my services, but they declined.. go figure.

Anyways, I think this game is going to be a big one. Sporting looks pretty much invincible thus far and with the way that we are playing right now I doubt that we can defeat an unstoppable juggernaut like SKC. I think our best option is to negotiate some kind of true with them. Barring that, a 5-3-2 with a dash of double catenaccio might be enough to earn a fantastic 0-0 win over them and earn back an infinitesimal sliver of pride.. Yes sir!

IDK... the whole positivity thing is not my bag.

14. JukeBox

JukeBox Member

Apr 14, 2008
    South East Asia
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not only The Sun, but all of the UK media were exaggerating the story and implying that Becks was THE reason the team lost last night and that's why Bruce substituted him. The Daily Mail even said Becks left the stadium, or in their words "stormed off" the stadium immediately after he was being substituted while we all knew he only left the stadium after the game was finished and before the reporters were allowed into the locker room. In other words, all of them, who are thousand miles away and not even watching the game or in the stadium last night, are saying that Becks was being pissed off not because the team were losing and playing like crap, but only because he was being subbed out and his reputation is now scratched. And it seems like all of them got their reports based solely on Twitter and our forum. :eek: *:rolleyes:*

Can't wait till the guys get back to training because I wanna hear some more explanation and whether or not the shouting really occured in the tunnel.

Of course, I hope whatever happened last night were forgotten now and I want to hear Bruce's new strategy and next step to get the next win!

15. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i put my account up that we beat SKC this Saturday and LA will be Feared again:cool:

16. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Well I tipped Kansas City for the Supporters’ Shield this year and they’re certainly playing like a team that will win it.

Time to go back to team defense/defense first just like we played against Seattle in the 2010 playoffs. David (if in Country) and Landon (if fit) must effectively play secondary right back/left back. I’d say start a 4-5-1 with Keane up top, but I’ve got no idea who’d be a third central midfielder at this point. So I’m going to say a 4-4-1-1 with Keane playing just behind Buddle in a withdrawn striker role.

17. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it's a bad idea. I'm not sure if Bruce's failure to help this team transition to a more offense-oriented style is because he's incapable there or because he simply hasn't given the team enough time to adjust to these new tactics. You'd think we'd be a little more conservative at the beginning of the season instead of playing balls-out attack with wing backs pushing forward so aggressively. Maybe we looked even worse when we tried to bunker and absorb attacks?

18. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to know the answer to this question.

19. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alrighty then moving away from the personal combat happening between 2 distinguished fans and posters, If we can get out of cow pie sporting park with a draw I think would be a positive result. Let's not kid ourselves with the form on display currently from our end and the confidence they have in KC? They simply will show us the lack of respect (that we brought on ourselves by awful football) that will make for a long night.

20. LA_YANK_10

LA_YANK_10 Member+

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost picture this as a Lakers type scenario, play consecutive crappy games, then go to hostile place where nobody expect a W, then they get the W... some Major things need to change though...

I do expect Donovan will play and that will be more comforting not only for the first 11 but for Dunivant as well... I don't think its impossible for us to get 3 points, we're not playing like it, but we also have one of the most talented starting 11's in the league...

21. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahem. At this point I'm just going to add to "ignore" and move on.

Everyone here knows what needs to occur. These guys need to dig deep and put together one of those performances where it's obvious that each and every guy on the team is fighting for his other teammates and leaves everything on the field.

The worrying part....strike that...A worrying fact is that SKC likes to move the ball and attack quickly. That's one of the things that Vermes has stressed is quick speed of play. Our team has trouble with pace.

So go back to basics. Shut down their attack, defend soundly and with numbers. Simplify--attack simply, attack quickly, and generally play simply. We've tried to get too cute and it's left us fairly neutered.

SKC is a strong side that plays well as a team. But, let's face it, there's no reason that we shouldn't be able to shut them down. No one on their team is so unbelievably talented that we shouldn't be able to match up. I only bring that up to say that we have no excuses and everyone needs to step up.

22. TequilaJoal

TequilaJoal Red Card

Mar 3, 2002
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ghetto Bimbo

I really wasn't "digging" it when Kyle Martino couldn't hold his extremely homosexual and insatiable man crush on David Beckham this past game on NBC.

Calling David Beckham the best player in MLS almost made me cringe at the complete disillusion Mr. Martino has for his Mr. Beckahm. I know Kyle probably watches midnight express on a continous loop and wishes he was the Brad Hayes charector and Becks was the swedish guy he makes out with passionately in hot and steamy shower, just before they both explore each others "untainted" anal regions with their lustful and moist probing tounges.

Now.. that you've checked yourself wood.. or throwup.

Am I right about this?

If David Beckham were the best player in MLS right now we wouldn't be 1-2 and outta the CCL. He would hit alot more of his passes. the constant 40-60 yard pass would always result in dangerous scoring oppurtunity, his free kicks would result in goals, instead of near goals. his corners would always be dangers instead of once and awhile, and now never without Omar.

Maybe just maybe this team goes with it's captain Landon Donovan. He's the best player in MLS by a metric mile... (when he wants to be of course). he has to get the eurofiles (becks n' Keano) and our brazzies (Juni n' Sarvito) and of course the americans (Edson n' magee)

He has to you use his captaincy to control these different styles of play on the field and get them to mesh... cause right now, becks is taking over messing around with forces he doesn't have the ability anymore to control. This is LD's team and he needs to take control of it. because he leads by example and when you have this many attitudes and this kinda frustration with the offense and defense, you need a guy who won't overpower the ego's, but handle them delicately with the precise knowledge and experience that only a 3 time world cup captain can do.

Becks and keano need to take a step back and understand... your not more important than landon donovan your just as important as landon donovan. The moment both our euros' realise this AGAIN. this season will be as easy as cake.

23. esco300

esco300 Member+

May 8, 2011
    Seattle
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Ghetto Bimbo

our BAD form is Deeper then Becks and Keane it starts from the Manager to the 23 players who all have to get it together if they wanna be champions again this season, but yes you are right Landon Donovan is the Engine and Core of the LA Galaxy with out him LA will crumble.

24. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the game.

I'm really looking forward to this. I'd love to break SKC's record that they are trying to achieve, and beating them since they are #1 in several polls will make a statement that we mean business.

I really hope we mean business.

25. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We better. I would love a high-scoring draw, or any draw. But a win would be nice.