P/I/P #14 LA Galaxy vs Portland Timbers, 4:00 p.m. PT Sunday June 17th

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Hachiko, May 27, 2012.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arena admitted that Leo isn't fully recovered yet from his knee injury to go this weekend (per a piece on soccerbyives) so if Gaul (broken cheekbone) is also unavailable, along with the already injured Gonzilla, Boyens and Keat, then I guess the options for the backline are:

Duni----Lopes---AJDLG----Franklin

or

Duni----Lopes---AJDLG----Meyer

or (God forbid)

Duni----Lopes---AJDLG----Jordan

If they have faith in Meyer at right back (he's played there the past 2 reserve games, I believe) then we could move Franklin up to midfield, which would allow Donovan to go up top with Barrett (and help save Donovan's legs).

With Cristman, Buddle and Keane not available (as well as Magee, Jimenez and Stephens from suspension), if Donovan has to stay in midfield, then the options are either a teenager (McBean or Villeareal) or Sarvas as the other forward and putting Walker or Garcia in the game as the other midfielder.

Luckily we get the suspended 3 players back for the next game - so we'll have some fresh legs for the short turn-around. But our depth really gets tested this Sunday with 10 players (4 or 5 of them regular starters when healthy) not available this weekend.

But hopefully the return of Saunders and the 2 weeks to figure things out give the team a boost....

We sure need a win about now...

2. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    On the center back question, I wonder if they make a move on Iro or Pontius soon. Both are trialists and Iro especially played 90 for the reserves.

As for forwards, I would expect Noonan to start with Barrett if they don't put Donovan there.

TrickHog repped this.
  3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I forgot about Noonan - if not up top, he can also play on the right side of midfield in a pinch. And with a third of our roster unavailable this Sunday, we might be pinching... So I bet he'll start the match for us either up top or out right...

4. ChrisV323

ChrisV323 Member

Jan 15, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy @#$^ You are hilarious...this is the funniest thing i have ever read, Keep making Jokes like this!!!

mbar repped this.
  5. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. matbluvenger

matbluvenger Member+

Reno 1868
    United States
    Aug 2, 2010
    Reno, NV
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be good with Noonan up top... I'd rather it be LD but only if he's 100%

Duni -- Lopes -- AJDLG -- Meyer

That backline looks decent enough. Move Franklin up to middie... have him play back slightly but still be a part of the attack, and be able to swing back to hang with the center backs if Meyer makes a run up the side. This could allow for Meyer to get his large stature into the attack and have a third experienced defender (Franklin) back to be the first line of defense against a Portland counter-attack.

7. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I know I'm in the minority on this - but I'm going on record again saying that Lopes is a major defensive liability whose unforced errors cost us an average of a goal every other game. Which is the equivalent of costing us either 1 or 2 pts every other game. And given our scoring woes we can't afford that margin of error if we hope to make the playoffs. It is true that Meyers and Gaul have had their flubs (Meyer fewer) but not as many as Lopes and most of Meyer/Gauls errors came at the beginning of the season, not in more recent games.

JukeBox repped this.
  8. New Mexican

New Mexican Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with you. I guess I am also in the minority.

JukeBox repped this.
  9. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you guys are saying, but we only have 3 healthy center backs right now -- AJDLG, Lopes and Meyer. The problem with a Meyer-AJ partnership is neither is very dominant in the air or good with fast, physical play. So it's sort of a "pick your poison" right now with our back line until any of our 4 injured center backs are available for selection......

Berks repped this.
  10. Benny Dargle

Benny Dargle Member+

Jul 23, 2008
    LA
    Hence the parade of center back trialists the last week (Iro and Pontius)

11. reFnCoach

reFnCoach Member

Sep 18, 2003
    SoCal
    It's strange being a supporter. A few weeks ago I was so frustrated with this team and was writing off the season and many on the roster. Now after a LONG break I can't hardly wait to see my Galaxy on the pitch and am confident we will see a convincing win tomorrow, even with all the injuries, suspensions, and players out. I guess absence does make the heart grow fonder.

StillKickin repped this.
  12. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Evertonians in the house! Tim Cahill also in town. No idea if he is coming to the game with Phil Neville.

13. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, but like reFnCoach, I can't wait for this game!

Hope springs eternal! Our meteoric rise to the top starts today.

14. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that if I'm Bruce arena I just challenge the players to keep our first clean sheet of the season at all costs. Focus on that. If we accomplish that I like our chances of getting all three points. I know we're 8 points out of a play off spot but we still have 60% of the season left. If we can build a foundation of confidence again in our ability to prevent goals then we can build on that going forward.

Priority #1 , keep a clean sheet. no matter how ugly that makes the game we have to play in front of our fans tonight.

The Cadaver repped this.
  15. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't Lopes out with a red? It has been so long since we played I forgot.

16. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Donovan will have a good game today.

---------------Barrett----------------
    ----Noonan------------Donovan----
    --------------Beckham---------------
    -------Sarvas----------Juninho-----
    --Dunivant--Lopes--AJ--Franklin--
    ---------------Saunders---------------

17. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Count me in with those excited for today's game - go Galaxy!

18. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good post. I completely agree that defense needs to be our priority. I'd add that our offense needs to keep it simple, be efficient and direct. Doing this will reduce turn overs which will be beneficial today considering Portland just acquired Mwanga and will be looking to counter. No needless long balls, no useless hail Mary passes. Just simple and effective soccer building from the back. Let's get a win and a shutout.

19. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your LA Galaxy Starting XI vs Portland Timbers: Saunders; Franklin, Lopes, DeLaGarza, Dunivant; Jordan, Beckham, Juninho, Sarvas; Barrett, Donovan.

Subs: Perk, Gaul, Meyer, Garcia, Nakazawa, Walker, McBean

Jordan? Really?

20. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at the available subs I'm not sure who else I'd start.

Jesus the traffic on the 405 from the valley is awful today. Going to miss a lot of the first half.

21. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about Sarvas on the left and Donovan on the right and McBean up top? Why not Villareal? He goto two against their reserves would be a nice reward. Either way a better option than Jordan seeing the field.

22. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would have been fine with mcbean but neither Noonan or Villarreal are on the bench so I assume they are not available for some reason o other.

At least with mcbean on the bench you have some firepower on the bench, theoretically.

23. Beirut

Beirut Member+

Feb 3, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Team still doesn't look comfortable on defense. Not a good sign.

24. GTOne

GTOne Member

May 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow Donovan.

Fail.

25. 100fyers

100fyers Member+

Aug 30, 2010
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    405! No my good man 5 to the 110 expressway, cuts out alot of traffic.