P/I/P #13 LA Galaxy vs Houston Dynamo Sat. 5/26 11:30 a.m.

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by TrickHog, May 25, 2012.

1. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarvas and Walker/Stephens do not play the same position. Not even close. He should have been in Jordan's place though.

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  2. kaburu

kaburu Member+

Jul 12, 2009
    los angeles
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hachiko start the next thread

3. lplaksina

lplaksina Member

Jan 5, 2002
    When I tape games, I stay away fro any media which could give me the results.
    I guess I feel it's my own responsiblity.

4. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What someone is "worth" is a fairly complex issue. However, here's something to think about:

Barrett has three scoring points. If he didn't score again this year, LAG would have paid about $77K per point. Beckham has what, 6 points? If he didn't score again, LAG would have paid $500K per point. Economically, Barrett's production is more of a value than Beckham's - to date. I will like to look at those numbers at the end of the year. My guess, they will still favor Barrett by a large margin.

5. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He will hit the bench when Keane is back. I don't understand this comparison of Barrett and Beckham. Beckham is our linchpin through central midfield. Part of his play is midfield control, which isn't going to show up in a scoring stat sheet. If you add that into the equation, he "wins" by a large margin. Barrett does not help us maintain possession. He works hard and has a moment of brilliance sometimes. That has a time and a place, but it's not the same as what Becks gives us.

Cadaver, yes, Chad occasionally helps, but what most people are saying here is that he is overpaid. And I think if you look at other forwards in the league that's in general, accurate.

JukeBox and The Cadaver repped this.
  6. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First, I am not 100% certain that Keane will be back, or at least mentally be back with LAG, but let's put that aside for the moment.

I do understand your view, and the prior post was intended to raise a discussion point - I don't mean it to be the dispositive measurement of a player's value. I recognize that soccer is not a "stats" game the way American football or baseball is.

The problem with things that, as you point out, "do not show up in a scoring sheet" is that they are not quantifiable, and I was looking for something you could actually measure. In a most general sense, Barrett and Backham are both on the roster to produce offense, and ONE WAY to measure the contribution to offense is actual productivity. (I am of the view that possession which does NOT result in scoring is "nice" but not productive.)

The other problem with looking at other forwards in the league (and their salaries) is it is total speculation that forward X who did well for a different team, in a different system, under a different coach, would do equally well for us. Look at Jaun Pablo Angel as Exhibit 1. Maybe Robbie Keane as Exhibit 2. Great forwards, not a doubt, who did well for others, and didn't produce the same way for LAG. LAG historically has brought in a number of players who didn't cut it here after good careers elsewhere. So, the comparative values of players on different teams is interesting, but also not infallible. It's not something you can quantify, and I was looking for some hard numbers. Cost per point produced is ONE (but only one) measure.

7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta remember that Barrett is at the end of a big contract that he got many years ago (before he was even with us, I believe). He got that contract based on potential -- and he hasn't lived up to that potential. So his next contract will be much smaller and more in line with his worth in the league...

Berks repped this.
  8. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, I would add more stats to the argument, and look at the chances that Becks created that someone up top flubbed as part of the argument.

I hear you, but I hope to TrickHog's point $$ are shaved off next year, or Chad is playing somewhere else to open up room. (Sorry Chad!)

9. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with "flubbed chances" is that those are qualitative judgments as much as quantitative. One fan might say "Keane should have brought that down and scored," while another would say "Becks put too much air under that ball." Who was the flubber* and who was the flubbee?

Even the numbers I am using can be subjective - some of those "secondary assists" are pretty much a matter of discretion. But at least the numbers I have suggested are not ones I am generating.

*Apologies to the Absent-Minded Professor

11. juniorLA

juniorLA Member

Mar 4, 2008
    El Lay
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not get the starting lineup or the subs. Walker, a quizzical start, actually played well, helped us hold our shape, did the dirty work well, and he gets pulled? In favor of Stephens??? Bryan Jordan remains on the field?? Why no Sarvas, he's looked good in every recent outing, very good. Stephens has looked very bad in every recent outing. I'm at a loss.

Good on Buddle for the goal.

Aside from the fact that Gaul should have left us down a man, he looked decent again.

Glad we now have this extended break. Time to hit the reset button.