P/I/P: #03 - LA Galaxy vs. Vancouver Whitecaps; 04/12/14; 7:30pm

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Geneva, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree - but this is something that can be worked on. Also agree on Husidic - he's safety first. Ideally the coaching staff speaks with him about this.

Also, Zardes off the bench is a smart sub in this formation - wish Bruce would have had him on earlier. The left side of Vancouver had to at least defend him and he caused them some problems.

I also still liked Landon at the top of the diamond in the last 20 minutes. Intriguing that Friend got time over Samuel.

I can't believe we've only played 4 games. Still feels like we're getting started.

2. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @SoCalYid - I went and looked at the chalkboards, and you're right.

Husidic's has a giant chunk of his heat map right underneath the center line - that's illustrates his unwillingness to get up and forward.

Ishizaki also tends to hover around the center. Sarvas is a little bit more forward on the right, but not by much. And thus, the biggest problem: Landon is also trapped right around the center circle a lot to help manage possession. He needs to be freed to be playing 2nd striker with Keane, not retrieving the ball at midfield.

Bruce should be trying to fix this. Will be interesting to see if he does since we see the same team next week.

StillKickin and TrickHog repped this.
  3. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bruce is crazy. G's win!

4. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just have one thing to say:

Omar, moar of that plz. Thx.

Berks repped this.
  5. UcIceD2011

UcIceD2011 Member+

Jul 10, 2011
    Nor Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually one more thing:

Eventually I think our optimal formation will be:

Samuel/Friend---------Keane
    -------------Donovan----------
    Sarvas/Husidic----------Ishizaki
    -------------Juninho-----------
    Dunivant--Leo/Opare-Omar-AJ
    --------------Penedo

It will be able to morph into an empty bucket when needed during the game. The reason I think Bruce will eventually gravitate to this has been talked about since the beginning of this thread. There just isn't enough creators in our midfield right now. Too many 6s when we need a 10 or at least an 8. Moving LD back to the point will hopefully help to mitigate that. That is, unless Bruce tries the 4-3-3. That works also.

Definitely think, based on the GII footage, Guero should get a chance to play spot minutes at the end of games. I agree with SoCalYid that he offers something different compared to our other bench options so hopefully he does get a chance this year. IF Rogers does begin to finally get healthy he may offer something also if the beginning of preseason is anything to go by.

6. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    At the stadium it looked a fairly comfortable game. Some better finishing would have been nice just to make those last 10 minutes less jangly, but still rounding in to form.

7. napper

napper Member+

Jan 14, 2014
    Fullerton
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the teams looked fairly evenly matched. Vancouver is good this year. Penedo saved our ass a couple of times.

A few years ago people were complaining about Bruce bunkering while we were on our way to Supporters' Shields and Cups. I find it strangly thrilling that Bruce is subbing on 2 attacking players while clinging to a 1-0 lead.

8. JBZTV

JBZTV Member+

May 10, 2009
    I'm surprised at people's surprise at Bruce's reasons for the diamond and the personnel in it. After 8-10 months of shaky defense, in 3 games, we've given up one goal, and what, 5 shots on goal? Bruce is a deeply pragmatic coach who gets results...especially in a league that doesn't have many players who can make a goal out of nothing. That was a game out of the title winning years. Limit the opposition to a few half chances, keeper makes a couple saves, a couple of your good players up front manufacture a goal. It's what Bruce does, and how we win titles.

9. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Four words, Vancouver: #SeeYouNextWeek!

10. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's also exactly what reminds me of 2011.

11. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Comments.
    Good win.
    Ishizaki game fit = win
    Husidic = good sub for Junino but we need an upgrade in the attack on the left. Too many turnovers or missed opportunities.
    Penedo had some good timely saves. Still find his distribution extremely disruptive. If we're going to play Keane and Donovan up top, we have to be able to pass it out of the back. A little high pressure from Vancouver and we started to give the ball away and give Vancouver some life.

12. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #112 SoCalYid, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    Yeah but you're walking a line. That match easily could have ended how many have recently. Penedo doesn't make an incredible save, we go down a goal or draw even and need to score then you're risking dropping points because attacking efficiency is still a problem for us. We need to press clear advantages when we have clear advantages because we won't always have them.

I don't think anyone questioned the diamond, nor the reasons for it. In fact, some of us were saying that we should be playing the diamond with Keane and Donovan up top, rotating in Samuel. The shape I have no issue with the performance of players within that shape is the issue.

Also nobody suggested that we would magically acquire players who can create something from nothing, nor is that required. I'd rather have our players that can create in positions which they can be the most threatening, not in midfield collecting the ball to start moves when there's 3 other central midfielders in close proximity (granted at times covering spaces which could be overloaded like the wings but not always) .

I'm all for the diamond right now but I personally feel in that shape people aren't doing their jobs, that's what I mean by disjointed. We have too many players doing the same thing, there's nothing practical about that.

I mean, you could get the same look from a midfield by playing a 4-2-3-1, having Juni and Sarvas sit deep, put LD in the hole, and Ishizaki on the right with Zardes (or Rodgers when he's fit) on the left. Donovan and Keane would still have to drop into space but you would get similar solidity in the middle. With wide options those balls Juninho was playing would have had more natural targets if he could play diagonally instead of the aimless balls down the middle, which luckily Ishizaki latched onto one. You would take out Husidic, didn't offer much attacking or defensively but he helped retain possession with a more potentially influential player. Having wide options would have reduced the effectiveness of their biggest threat to our back line because they could double back and cover spaces. If Junino and Sarvas couldn't handle Teibert in the middle without an extra midfielder they shouldn't be there.

Like I said though, I was fine with the shape I just think if we play that shape either Husidic or Sarvas need to offer more which I know one is capable of. They don't have to beat 3 men at a time like Keane was trying to do rather attempt to stretch their shape and tow the ball up field getting linking up with Keane, Donovan and Ishizaki closer to goal where they can be more effective. If someone can't do that I'm struggling to understand why we need 3 central midfielders.

13. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #113 The Beautiful Gamer, Apr 13, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
    Highlight Time Folks...

Next Time Landon, Next Time...

Looks like we finally found our new Becks/Cien
    Ishizaki Oh wah Oh wah Ishizaki...IIIIII'm hooked on a feeling

Loved the keep away at the end fellas. Now just work on finishing and we win that game by at least 4 goals instead of 1.

TrickHog, 73Bruin, Geneva and 1 other person repped this.
  14. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :x3:I love me some Ishizaki!

I thought Sarvas was poor and I want more from Husidic.
    I love Penedo too, just wish his distribution was better. But I'm glad he's back there. Gargan is mistake prone, but the guy works really hard and he's filling in back there. Leo managed to not mess up and cost us the game. Yay.

I don't know, maybe I'm not savvy enough to understand...but I want Landon to play more aggressively. Something still seems kind of missing IMO. I know he had some great 70, 80 yard sprints which were amazing, but it just seems he is walking a lot and there are times I feel if he were more aggressive filling in the spaces off the ball he would have more opportunities on goal. I probably am expecting way too much and don't know what I'm talking about. :confused:

Keane is playing great, like a man possessed. But there are times when his intense desire to go one-on-one has me screaming for him to pass....or shoot!

Anyway, good job by our guys. Good win. And what, we get one more game next week and then another bye? This schedule sucks. How are we supposed to get into any kind of rhythm?

The Beautiful Gamer, TrickHog and Geneva repped this.
  15. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots, perhaps too much, to share after watching from Section 135.

Gargan had a very good first half, and did a lot to help contain Maddocks and Manneh when they were at their freshest. Despite the one weird play when the ball bounced over his head to Manneh for a great chance, he and Omar worked together well to stop whatever they tried. Manneh is g.o.o.d. He had the most dangerous chances of the night, he is quick, and he combines well.

My husband thought AJ had a terrible night and was very uncomfortable on the left. Maybe he and Gargan should switch. Obviously AJ is fighting his injury as well.

I was a lot more happy with Husidic than the rest of you. Yes, he should do more going forward. Perhaps he won't have the quickness of thought to really help us offensively. But the soccer skills are there, really there. He reminds me of Eddie Gaven physically, and he just plays like a soccer player - both feet are good, great touch, good passing, definitely quick enough for this league. He had the "assist" on the early Keane shot that was dangerous. I'm hopeful.

All credit to Ishizaki who took that ball from the back down like a boss, and held it until the perfect moment, then sent what-a-great-cross in for Robbie. I think that was his looping cross that found Landon for the missed header too. He looks gangly and awkward out there, but also looks like a great signing.

On Landon - he is obviously hobbled by the knees. He would probably be playing the point and one of our target forwards would be getting time, if it wasn't for his limited mobility. (And tactically it seemed like we needed a target forward against Demerit and O'Brien, especially in the first half when Vancouver pressed.) It's painful to watch him at times because he's in pain, and he had a tough time finishing the game. If it wasn't for the World Cup, I wonder if he would be resting his injuries now, to better play during the later part of the season? That said, though, after a fairly quiet first half, he put a ton of energy into the second half and popped up all over the field, including defensively one very important play against Hurtado, I believe. He'll get some better luck soon and get his goal.

16. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info on Landon. I knew there had to be something wrong. I really wish he could rest his knee, but I guess that will have to wait until he retires. Hope this doesn't hasten that day.

And there's NEVER too much to share. I love eyewitness accounts. Keep it coming! :thumbsup:

The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  17. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Completely agree with this. And it captures what Bruce means by not caring about formations. A diamond with Husidic and Sarvas wide will play completely differently than one with Zardes and Rogers wide. We are effectively playing a 4-3-1-2 possession strategy. Very conservative, very Bruce like.

And yeah, not going to generate alot of offense, particularly with little support from our outside backs. But it's hard to add offense to it without taking away either its defensive strength or possession time, at least with the players we have. At some point we'll be able to move Donovan back and Ishizaki wide, but Bruce saying that Ishizaki doesn't have his fitness means this probably won't be for some time.

TrickHog repped this.
  18. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming back from an injury, and I thought early on some of those Vancouver tackles were cynical aims at the injured leg. Also, AJ is a natural right-footer and has not played on the left very much or in a long time. So not surprising that he struggled. But all in all I think he did a creditable job in an unfamiliar position.

Agree with your other observations and thought I would add a couple. Despite the failure to convert on his golden chance, I thought Friend was extremely effective as the target forward. Not only did he win the majority of the contested high balls, but he frequently made effective flick ons or passes to maintain possession or spring someone. If the thought is to play Route One ball when Landon leaves for WC, Friend can do that job.

Also was impressed that Zardes was making a real effort on defense when he was subbed in. There was a level of concentration there that was often lacking last year - but in fairness his job was different then.

Have not watched the replay yet. But sat down to watch the pregame and almost barfed when I saw the analyst chair was filled with that fat blob He Whose Name Must Never Be Mentioned on these boards. I do think he could press Bruce for the World Class Smirk title.

19. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Very much agree with those suggesting we look like Galaxy 2009-2011, though perhaps closer to 2009 early 2010. So many of those games were squeaky bum games relying on moments of individual skill at either end of the pitch to earn points. Considering the injuries to the back line and we're realistically only 2 games in to the season while most of our opponents are 4-6 games in it's a pretty reasonable strategy.

Berks repped this.
  20. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My analysis: I'll take the 3 points.

Hopefully guys keep getting healthier and we start getting some momentum, despite the sucky scheduling...

napper and dashiel repped this.
  21. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best defense is ball possession in the opponent's half. This is what a couple of offensive subs can get you.

22. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't disagree. But that particular description applies to about 75% of the professional soccer I watch in whatever league. It is almost inherent in the game unless you can assemble a sublime roster where many players routinely have brilliant moments.

23. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Interesting that Sorto did not make the bench. The pecking order for reserve outside backs seems to be Riley, Gargan, Opare, Sorto, Meyer. Given that we can always pick up someone like Gargan, it's a measure of how much Sorto needs to improve to make the senior roster.

24. Revived fan

Revived fan Member

May 9, 2010
    Sunny So Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good win.
    Ishizaki did exactly what he was brought in for.
    His assist on Kean's goal was definitely above MLS standard: great first touch to bring the ball down, calm possession against a very experienced defender, wait-for-it then pin point cross for a one-touch tap-in.
    Hope to see more of this.
    In a way, a 1-0 result is not bad, it keeps the team aware that they have to improve scoring going into the next leg.

25. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Random thoughts:

Happy to see us looking technically sharp on the ball compared to our first couple of games. Very crisp passing and nice possession sequences. Agree with SoCal that the outside midfielders should get more involved in the attack when we have the ball. But even without that we created a lot of "three-quarter" chances, which is nice to see.

Was a breakout game for Ishi. Beautiful assist - not only was the pass perfect but he made a nice move to create the sliver of space he needed to get it off. Also in the first half he won beaucoups of high balls for us, mostly off Penedo's punts and goal kicks. I hope we are seeing the beginning of Ishi blossoming into a very good long term Galaxy player rather than a one-off outlier performance from him.

Penedo had an awesome defensive game and his distribution still sucks, as everyone noted. But if we can't have both I'll take a keeper that keeps the ball out of the net over one that distributes the ball well every day of the week.

Defensively we were pretty good, but not great. Vancouver created some dangerous opportunities but the 3 M's - Mattocks, Manneh, and Morales are a handful for any team. Gargan had one of his better games for us though he still worries me from time to time. I don't agree with Geneva's husband - I actually thought AJ had a very good game, defensively at least. For the most part his positioning and passing were solid and he cleaned up a couple of loose balls in the box, like we've come to expect from him. And there were many time where Omars height came in handy in the box.

Also nice to see LD not taking all of the free kicks. Good to mix it up with Ishi, LD, Juninho, etc.

We never had the game completely under control but we did get the 3 points. So well done.

The Beautiful Gamer, SoCalYid and Berks repped this.