Ownership to be taken over by Players???

Discussion in 'magicJack' started by Lloyd Heilbrunn, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
  3. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't. Just means that Magic Dan has gotten tired of his new toy already.

4. soccerreigns

soccerreigns New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    so they would be willing to blow thier money when the league might now even make next year...or he is so in love with them he might just give it to them

5. pasoccerdad

pasoccerdad Member

Mar 17, 2008
    KOP
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This guy does not have any clue what he writing about

6. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This.

7. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I really love this quote,

"Yet again, as they had done all tournament, the Japanese proved that they are the most highly skilled players in women's soccer."

Frickin moron. Did he even watch the game?

8. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeff Kassouf (via twitter) says there are multiple inaccuracies in that espn article.

9. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guys/Gals I just posted it, I'm not vouching for it. :)

10. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Didnt the MagicJack owner already serve the purpose of the team which was to market his product? Every tv station that showed the WWC and the programme purchased by fans at the games will have MagicJack next to Abby's name... mission accomplished...

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    How can things be so dire for MJ when he just paid a $100,000 transfer fee for Megan Rapinoe?

12. Ben James Ben

Ben James Ben Member

Apr 28, 2009
    The Twitter conversation between Jeff Kassouf and William Bretherton about the article and its credibility:
    http://mobile.twitter.com/jeffkassouf/status/92804444621774848
    http://mobile.twitter.com/william2993/status/92820583666028544
    http://mobile.twitter.com/jeffkassouf/status/92821281992474624
    http://mobile.twitter.com/william2993/status/92822281604169728
    http://mobile.twitter.com/jeffkassouf/status/92824364763987969

I see a few interesting questions. Who fed this information to the article's author and to what end? What would be the motive for revealing the magicJack rumor and a possible league salary cap reduction? Who would be in possession of such information?

13. hykos1045

hykos1045 Member

May 10, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whatever happened to this rumor that Abby wanted to form ownership of her own team? Would be a first for Owner-manager-player or perhaps she would even hire a manager and not interfere with the substitution patterns.

14. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's an explicit statement by Borislow in one of WPS's court documents that he was trying to sell the team to a couple of the players. Of course, it's Dan saying it....

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone think players actually have the finances to own a team? I, for one, do not. Making even mid-six figures doesn't provide enough financial security to be able to fund a team--not to mention provide for post-playing career income.

16. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    During-playing-living-wage-income is the goal for a most of the folks on these rosters, and they're far better prepared than some other pros to earn a living after they're done.

The original plan for the NSA (the one they should've gone with as opposed to the WUSA), was for players to be partner/owners with a stake in the league. The questions are always how much cash can you raise to pay expenses, what is the player's participation worth in terms of cash now and future stake, and how can you ensure enough revenue to get from today to tomorrow. If player owners could run a 6th team, I'm all for it!

17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just do not think players have the money to gamble on a WPS team. Even if a team paid no salary to players who are owners it still takes a significant amount of money to operate a team--they have to pay for insurance, operations, facilities, coach's salary, GM salary, tix sales, etc. Would take at least $800k for one year. You really think players have that and would play for free? Do you work for free?

18. Morris20

Morris20 Member

Jul 4, 2000
    Upper 90 of nowhere
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    I think you've hit the nail on the head - player owners can plow some money in, and take less out in return for an ownership stake, but you've got to generate enough cash to pay expenses and some level of salaries for folks to live on.

That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea, but there has to be seed $$ and a plan to make that ownership stake valuable in the long term.

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right. I just don't think any of the current players have that kind of cash. Just not do-able. And you've got to have ability to play/run franchise that I don't see any current players having the experience to do. What current players even run their own camps? Not lend their names to a camp run by other people but do the work to pull together the camp?

It's like folks asking Maddow to #saveWPS on twitter. Maddow doesn't have the kind of cash necessary.

20. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Online reports say she's worth about $12 million. She could afford a good-sized share of one team (without jeopardizing her financial situation), but that would be about it.

21. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    How much someone is worth and how much $$ they actually have available to pay for stuff are two very different things - as WPS has already learned the hard way.