Ownership, Front Office, Coaches, Or Players?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by SoccerEsq, Mar 27, 2014.

1. TowsonDad

TowsonDad BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 1, 2006
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got the same e-mail, and I have a season ticket as well. Against all odds of being listened to, I told them I had been in the stands since '96; that the product on the field is poor; the coach is out of his element, and the coach and GM appear to have no consistent strategy to acquire players who can work together tactically on the pitch, win games, and develop a new winning tradition.

It doesn't take a management degree to see that the underlying product and administration are poor. I hope they do better, but I told them hope is not a strategy. I also said I wasn't trying to be glib or sarcastic, but that many of my friends feel this way, and that it feels like the team's days are numbered.

This may sound harsh, but it is from someone who does have STs. I wonder what former ST's told them?

bigredfutbol, Winoman and fatbastard repped this.
  2. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I suggested they come to big soccer if they want to know what the hard core think.

liverbird and TowsonDad repped this.
  3. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a long time reasonably prolific poster on Big Soccer I would like to think I'm a member of the "Hard Core," but I'm afraid there may be a drinking requirement to qualify. Can anyone help me on this? I want so much to be part of a group:D

greatscott repped this.
  4. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem with the hard-core on BS is we don't all think the same thing :)
    But if you want to know what the most upset or the ones with the most free time on their hands think .. well, then you're on to something :D

Q*bert Jones III and liverbird repped this.
  5. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see you grasp the inherent problem of relying on the internet for information. Or perhaps also in making broad generalizations about larger groups from sub-groups, likes fans in forums or, shall we say, other forums even.

You wise man speak magic.

6. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since this is my thread, I declare the drinking requirement waived for you. However, I insist we now must have a drink to celebrate your membership in the Hard Corps. (Yes, the "Hard Corps". Remember, it's my thread, and I think that's a better way to spell it :cool:.)

7. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's far too deep for an internet discussion :D

But if you're talking about the idiots over in that forum over there .... well, I have no idea what you're talking about, they're all lunatics :D

8. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    The Internet Nuts have spoken. So shall it be done!

bigredfutbol and liverbird repped this.
  9. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the honor. Will there be an induction ceremony, and will alcohol be served? If I don't practice moderation, is their an emeritus organization I could join, e.g., Hard Corpse?

10. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You should have told them to contact Shammy. He's got statistics and charts and everything. And I am not being sarcastic!

TowsonDad repped this.
  11. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd need a chance to make them prettier, perhaps convert my text to a Garamond or Helvetica font as well.

12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Hallelujah, amen!

13. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Hopefully the intern they put on the task will be wise to the ignore feature.

griffin1108 and liverbird repped this.
  14. Eismahn

Eismahn Member

Sep 26, 2003
    Silver Spring,Maryla
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quoting this because I'm so on board with this perception. In fact, I'm wondering if Concina coming over here is just the 1st step along this route to analyzing and improving the team, namely by exposing Chad Ashton and getting him replaced?

fatbastard repped this.
  15. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Or Concina was Inter's "Ashton" and Thohir decided to use DCU as a dumping ground. The truth of the fact is we don't know why Concina is here, other than the stated purpose that he works with the defense. However, based on the first 3 games, the defense has performed at "Ashton" like levels -- so maybe my speculation is correct.

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopes built up, then completely dashed in the space of two posts.

17. SoccerEsq

SoccerEsq Member

Aug 28, 2000
    Maryland SoccerPlexish
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the type of discussion I picture, with Shammy filling the role as "The Expert":

liverbird and Eismahn repped this.
  18. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    They need to sit in the stands with the fans on EITHER side. There's just as many complaints on the "Quiet Side" as in the supporter groups. Just not as much belching or farting.

liverbird repped this.
  19. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless, of course, those quiet siders have been foolish enough to sample RFK's cuisine.

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has come to my attention that I made a serious grammatical error in one of my posts to this thread. For this, I offer my most heartfelt apologies. My mistake is unforgivable, because it lowers the intellectual level of this forum, and may serve to give ammunition to those in DC United's embattled Front Office who completely reject the theme espoused by us internet nuts that they are the root cause of the malaise and, sadly, serve to confirm their bias against us as semi-literate morons.

In certain cultures, at certain times, my offense could be expiated only by ritual suicide. As it happens, my father's samurai sword is in the attic. But the ritual demands a glass of saki, of which I have none, so I've decided to carry on. I will be more careful in future posts.

NASI GORENG, Boloni86 and Winoman repped this.
  21. MagpieFan

MagpieFan Member+

Apr 25, 2004
    Back in DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but Inter's "Ashton" is probably miles better than our Ashton even if he does suck by Inter's standards.

22. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're hoping for a higher standard of incompetence.

Boloni86, Winoman, bigredfutbol and 2 others repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Oh yes there is - silent but deadly.

pr0ner, Winoman and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  24. calzinoMono

calzinoMono Member

May 23, 2008
    Club:
    DC United
    No, I think he means someone like Oscar!

liverbird repped this.
  25. calzinoMono

calzinoMono Member

May 23, 2008
    Club:
    DC United
    EriF NOTHSA

liverbird repped this.