Ownership, Front Office, Coaches, Or Players?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by SoccerEsq, Mar 27, 2014.

1. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    That's where both our positions take on a unique arrogance. I recognize mine, but when you say "what are you supporting"- after I (and I just use me here) spend x amount of time discussing the club and taking considerable interest in all elements of the club at every level- it sounds like "you're not actually a supporter" or "not as good of a supporter" when in fact I have stuck by the Club regardless of the shortcomings I speak about so frequently. I personally don't feel it does the club a service to ignore the realities we face, which are in fact unique in the league's history. It's not simply we have shit coaches or shit ownership or a shit GM, but arguably the worst and most dysfunctional of each among perhaps any MLS club in history- recognized now by some media figures (see: grant wahl, goff). To me, the very identity of DC United has been crapped on systematically, to the point where my 'old' feelings for the club, when things were being run with respect and "honour" (with a 'u') and the 'tradition' brought about by that history are manipulated by the club to suppress dissent.

I think an interesting conversation about 'what is a club' and 'what do you support' involves San Jose relocating to Houston and fans sentiments regarding the Cups won thereafter. Similarly, rather than looking at DC United as a single concept that transcends time and space, maybe the club can be viewed in generations or cycles. DC United the Club of 1996-2002 is simply not the DC United Club of 2010-2014. There are similarities, but not the same.

Barbieri repped this.
  2. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get both your points, and you are both here every match day. 'Family' can disagree, its healthier that way.

Winoman repped this.
  3. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you really believe this? Do you really think other DC fans weren't perplexed by Olsen's disdain for those two guys? Did you even read this forum in 2012?

liverbird, Barbieri, NASI GORENG and 3 others repped this.
  4. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Here moreso, elsewhere with many more eyes, no. I'm not allowed to talk about those places here.

5. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know any United fans who didn't think at least one of those guys was undeutilized.

6. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    The narrative at the lair of Voldemort was claiming Pajoy was a good choice through game 5 of 2013. Bosko and Salihi were maligned when they at the very least created real depth and pushed Santos, DeRo and others to perform better.

7. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not what I heard at tailgates in 2012 or 2013.

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    We need to put an end to this bullshit. It's artificial, it's lame, and it's unnecessary.

Black and Red United. There. I said it. They're a bunch of Pollyannas and their podcast is boring as hell.

I'm not sure they've actually got more eyes than here, by the way.

sitruc, liverbird, Barbieri and 3 others repped this.
  9. Barbieri

Barbieri Member+

Jul 8, 2004
    Decatur, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't we talk about them here? Link me to what I'm missing...?

10. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #60 liverbird, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    But why debate about what people think on another board? Well, it seems Shammy got banned there so he has a sore something. Can we move on to discuss what those who post here think?

11. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a one-time thing from one of the mods. Don't worry about it.

Barbieri repped this.
  12. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I think you're a swell guy.

13. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you have skills and potential. :D

Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  14. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I think you have bite.

and fight.

Boloni86, bigredfutbol and liverbird repped this.
  15. liverbird

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Benny loves me

Winoman and bigredfutbol repped this.
  16. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    Ben Olsen, Chad Ashton, Kyle Porter

Phuck one, marry one, kill one, GO

Barbieri and DCUSA repped this.
  17. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny Shammy is pretty damn funny.

18. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    o_O :confused: :sick:

Boloni86 repped this.
  19. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    We need an experienced and determined new Front Office to manage the Team. Not the Sports Franchise (marketing, sales, media, etc), but Coaches & Staff, Academy and Players (including development).

Thats what has to come first. Ownership is concentrating on the Stadium and attendant bribes, etc, and for the most part ignoring even much of franchise management let alone the team. I get that. I don't like that, but I get it for now.

But over this season, we definitely need a new FO for the Team. Then the coaches/staff and players come after that.

Oddly enough, Bradley might be interested in this type of career move. And coming BACK to DC United. After MNT, Egypt, and Europe (albeit Norway) why would he want to settle being only a coach for ANY MLS team.

20. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Sports Illustrated article on Thohir and Inter (referenced elsewhere) suggests to me that Thohir is engaged, asking the tough questions, and prepared to become very active in securing the right club management and coaching. So apparently he can do what we are looking for from him, but only for one club at a time. And the first club he's looking at is the bigger club with an international reputation to protect. Eventually, one hopes he will turn his attention to struggling, neglected DC United.

SoccerEsq and Winoman repped this.
  21. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Erick+Thohir+DC+United+Introduce+New+Ownership+zhF8uQCfTZpx.jpg

"Wait, I'm supposed to do what now?"

revelation repped this.
  22. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar

This guy strikes me as a total incompetent tool. I'm not sure we'd be any better off even if he was more involved. Look at Inter ...

23. Murr

Murr Member+

Apr 14, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    DC United
    3 Points. GET'em!!!

24. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    As another sign of the general incompetence of the club, I got an e-mail yesterday asking me why I hadn't renewed my season tickets. So I went ahead and took the survey, since there was room for any comments you wanted to make. I told them that I actually did renew, but since they seemed to be looking for complaints...then I let 'em have it.

25. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. Just...wow.