Outstanding Matches and Players

Discussion in 'Coach' started by rca2, Feb 15, 2014.

1. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    If a picture is worth a 1000 words, what is a video of a great match worth? Enjoy :)

2011 CL Final, MU vs Barca. Messi and Co. vs. Rooney and Co. Absolutely wonderful football.

What a difference forty years, pressing and substitutions makes.

1970 WC Semifinal, Italy vs. West Germany. Muller and Bechenbauer. Beckenbauer suffered a separated shoulder early on and gutted it out.

I can't resist including perhaps the greatest losing side in the history of soccer.

1974 WC Final, Netherlands vs. West Germany. Cruyff and crew vs. Muller, Beckenbauer, et al.

Holland had its revenge in 1988 beating West Germany in the semi-finals on its way to winning the European championship. Unfortunately I could only find highlights.

AC Milan dismantling Real Madrid in the second leg of the European cup semifinals, April 19, 1989. Gullit, Basten and Rijkaard.

1958 WC Final, Brazil vs. Sweden. Brazil's and 17 y.o. Pele's first world cup title. Notice the horrible field conditions compared to today.

A motherlode (over 100 clips) of classic matches:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/junior481/videos

Some newer matches. Note the links on the right side to channels for Barca and Real Madrid.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/FootballNacy/videos

Please post up your favorites.

Twenty26Six repped this.
  2. saabrian

saabrian Member

Mar 25, 2002
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure if it's online, but the 2010-11 Barcelona-Real Madrid league match... won 5-0 by Barca. That and the CL were two of the most amazing matches I've ever seen. Not just for the quality of the play by the Catalans but for doing so against that level of opposition.

rca2 repped this.
  3. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Found it. Nov 29, 2010, Barca vs Real Madrid

4. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's retiring at the end of the season so I feel Antonio Di Natale deserves a mention. Massively underrated player outside of Italy.

Great first touch & close control, great striker of the ball. Can put it wherever he wants pretty effortlessly. Calm under pressure in box. A joy to watch on his day.

Twenty26Six and rca2 repped this.
  5. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some rare old Maradona footage has surfaced:

As good as Messi is, this man was a class above. Some of that was just unreal. I may have to start advocating cocaine.

6. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    I had forgotten how much Maradona relied on his left foot. You can count the number of touches with his right foot in those clips on your two hands. He even dribbled almost entirely with one foot. Amazing.

7. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Found this match while researching Pierre Littbarski. Watch Rijkaard's "classy" move around the 2:40 mark. Wow.