Out of the Shadows: FCD BigSoccer Supporters, Show Yourselves!

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by burning247, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Thrash13

Thrash13 Member

OKC Energy FC
    United States
    Jan 17, 2008
    Lawton, OK
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm usually around throughout the season, but for some reason, I seem to post more during the offseason. I really enjoy the player movement, signings, SuperDraft, etc. throughout the offseason. I'm not near as knowledgeable as most when it comes to the team during the season, so I just read everyone else's opinions during that time. But as far as this topic goes, I'm definitely still around.

2. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do not feel the same way about this club as I once did.

3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What happened?

4. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apathy. It seem that I caered more than some of the players. I still follow the club, I attend some of the matches; however, the "fight for the shirt" is no longer there.

Parrothead FC repped this.
  5. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Whereas I used to spend the vast majority of my free time on bigsoccer, i now spend it on another completely independent discussion board centered on sports that was created on thanksgiving day 2007 and now has more than 4.5 million monthly page views. There are a dozen similar sites in it's market segment. They are not wanting for traffic.

I think the problem with bigsoccer is that the signal-to-noise ratio became intolerable, and the early adopters were no longer able to carry on as before, they pulled back or went away entirely, and consequently, without their horsepower to drive the conversation, the quality of discussion plummeted, hence the overall drop in traffic.

In the case of DMF, I think it's a direct result of HSG alienating the top 1000 soccer fans in north texas which caused the drop.

6. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    werd.

7. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This thread is getting depressing.

8. boneall

boneall Member

Sep 8, 2008
    Allen
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There you go, dragging me out to discuss topics I said I won't ;) I actually really like this idea.

9. Trav-Man

Trav-Man Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has just been the craziest year of my life. I've mainly only lurked to read posters' thoughts on the game and how they went because I have hardly been able to watch any of the games this year. I basically would have just been spouting nothing because I didn't have anything to contribute.

10. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    Psycho Scott checking in!
    I dig this thread Ryan. Work related travel usually keeps me away from the majority of home games. But i buy season tickets every year because i believe in supporting local professional soccer.
    Plus whenever i get the chance I like to drink 18 beers and shout profanity for two hours. Better than therapy.
    I like the BS forum, I've tried to follow and post on Inferno boards but the format there is clunky and slow to me.
    BTW - on Big Soccer say what you need to say in about two paragraphs or less. most of us don't have the time or honestly don't give a shit about an opinion that takes more then two paragraphs. If you gotta spew more than that then start your own effin blog and see if anyone more than your mom will follow it OK?
    Ricardo Salazar is a pimple on the ass known as MLS Refs.
    Quinn arrested, Ellinger retires... wtf FCD?

Northside Rovers and FlashMan repped this.
  11. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't it nice of Quinn to give a new topic? It's almost like the franchise is cursed. Whenever they seem to be going the right way the curse rears it's ugly head and someone key gets an ridiculous injury (see the infamous Calamari incident) shoots them self in the foot (Dragon Stadium) resulting in unexpected resignations (Andy Swift) or now commits a crime that gets the team all the attention they have been craving but for completely the wrong reason.

12. UncleHulka

UncleHulka Member

Jan 14, 2005
    I am still around, though I lurk more than post these days. Not that I ever posted very frequently ...

I wouldn't say that I'm apathetic, just disappointed with the way things have gone since the final a few years ago. It would certainly be nice to still have Marvin, Dax, and Kenny around. This management has made a mess of operating around the salary cap.

13. FLAgator514

FLAgator514 Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Joined about a year ago I'd say. I comment from time to time...real busy with Law School at SMU so I haven't followed the team as closely as I would.

14. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Follow your own advice. Too wordy. Keep it to "Drinking waiting, Drinking waiting..."

Northside Rovers repped this.
  15. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Woe to Big Soccer, as I am still here.

While work keeps me from attending games, I was in the area a few times, and fully intended to attend some matches. I asked for some information, and...blank out, as Rand has written.

If I am not wanted, so be it. Dustbin made that clear years ago. Simply note that I am the guardian of salsa and keeper of wing dings. I freely admit such gastronomic sins may no longer be necessary, if there is no longer a tailgate. Perhaps it is insufficiently similar to activities in a miserable, intellectually challenged city in the Pacific Northwest.

I would have been interested to see the performance of the cheerleaders, and to reacquaint myself with Infernosaurus.

Pax,
    Scipio

16. Soyrizo

Soyrizo Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Dallas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THE TEMPLE SNAKES CLEAN THY EARS!

I admit, I'm entertained.

17. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Was a big Burn fan in the 1990s, went to lots of their games in '96, '97. Watched in horror as KC Wiz beat us in that first playoff elimination in '96 after our PA announcer at the Cotton Bowl had played "If I Only Had a Brain" when the Wiz marched in. That was funny. Will never forget Chad Ashton's missed shootout PK off the post--still curse him when I see his pudgy visage on the DC bench.

Was there for the Hugo Sanchez games, as well, when even the end zone sold out. Still have Burn gymbag promo and that puke green 3rd jersey they had.

Other than the 3-0 at L.A. to win the conference championship, Graziani's goal in '99 to beat the Fire in the playoffs was the greatest moment in franchise history, I think.

Moved away, but always retained a soft spot for Dallas.

18. sweeper33

sweeper33 Member

Jul 24, 2000
    So true, so true...

19. Easton FC

Easton FC Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jul 18, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow. It's been awhile...

Yes, I am still here, although I prefer to lurk as I have nothing profound or even remotely interesting to say most of the time. I remember when I first joined almost six years ago and loved donating my two cents on a constant basis. Nowadays I am just getting cheaper and cheaper as two cents seems way too much for my brain to contribute anymore.

I still love FC Dallas with a passion, no matter the issues. When you've invested 17 years of your life towards a single entity, chances are that entity is deeply embedded in your psyche and your heart. I've been to a few matches this season and the experience seems to get better and better even when the scores and standings get worse and worse. That said, I am still waiting for the inevitable sh*tstorm caused by the President/CEO becoming a violent psychopath. He's the best in the business at what he does but I cannot, in any way, see how that wife-beater keeps his job after the horrid PR it gave the club. I do not know how the fan experience next season is going to end up after that debacle.

BOTTOM LINE: As I said before, I really do not have much to contribute as far as meaningful content is concerned. Therefore, unless something groundbreaking occurs that no one else has posted, I will most likely continue to be a lurker. It doesn't mean that I'm not committed to the forum but I cannot justify posting only for the sake of posting. Let the usual suspects continue that annoying tradition.

My cent-and-a-half. (Two cents is too much.)

20. Thedza

Thedza Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Funkytown
    This was the first season since 2004 that I didn't attended at least 1 game. I've never been much of a contributor here but I still lurk to get news on signings and whatnot. My apathy has reached an all time high though. I don't know why but I just can't garner as much enthusiasm as I once could.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you feel like the FO feels like you do about the team? I sometimes feel like they are trying to give fans what they want but have no idea themselves what that is as opposed to being that fan themselves and knowing what all fans want. They could hire someone who does and let them loose also (no strings).

22. Thedza

Thedza Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Funkytown
    No I fully believe that the FO is trying their best to run the team in an efficient and winning manner. Now whether or not they're good at doing that is a different conversation.

My own personal apathy really has nothing to do with the crappyness of the team but comes from my situation where all my soccer loving friends have moved away. (Comeback Parrothead!) Having no one around that's interested in going to games (most of which my fiancé) really tempers my enthusiasm. I guess you could say that the total letdown that was these last two seasons after a trip to MLS cup contributes to it but I'm a lifelong Rangers fan and I toughed out 2008 and 2009 so rooting for a losing team is something I'm used to.

23. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. I own 2 soccer stores in Austin so I get to talk soccer a lot. Hardly ever MLS. Plus I am busy.

2. Flagrant lack of ambition from FCD FO in trying to win championships. Last big signing was Carlos Ruiz 6 years ago. Letting good players go - getting little or nothing in return - Dax McCarty. Why is Kenny Cooper not here?

3. Hiring your former college coach. Since their father passed away - have you seen what the Hunts are letting happen to their 3 teams? What the heck do they do all day?

Tired of losing. Tired of stupid red cards. losing late leads, letting favorite players go, culture of mediocrity. General incompetence. Dallas is the Brazil of the USA. Players for the area on college and pro team all over the country. Huge market. Yet FCD doesn't draw flys. We had a great team 2 years ago and blew it up. Use to go to 6 or 7 games a year. Now maybe 1. Watch on TV every game - but it is like torture.

Parrothead FC repped this.
  24. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I bought my England jersey from the one off Research Blvd.

25. Danwoods

Danwoods Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Bertram, TX, US
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I go right by that store on the way to Dynamo home games.

Northside Rovers repped this.