Rumor: Our new pbp guy - Todd Romero

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Feb 3, 2012.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure it can get much worse than it's been over the past few years. Last year was a complete mess. Still, disappointed when Seattle gets someone like Arlo, and we get stuck with a rotating cast of hockey and basketball guys.

Balboa has never impressed me as a color guy either, but I bet its hard being in his role when the pbp guy doesn't know the first thing about the game. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until we get him a decent partner.

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Gotta be an upgrade over the clown they had last year.

As Sir Charles would say, that guy was turr'ble.

Will Kroenke still cheap out when it comes to road games and have the guys call the away matches from the studio?

4. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Which guy? We had, like, 37.

5. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The one who had to have red cards explained to him by 'Celo.

6. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    I don't recall seeing an announcement of what channel the games will be broadcast, did I miss it?

7. Bridgeman

Bridgeman Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 25, 2006
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't anyone with soccer exp. apply?

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No announcement yet.

I two two guys with MLS pbp experience that have applied over multiple years but not gotten the job.

9. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    Arlo White gets the ******** under my skin. He's a 2nd rate turd sommelier with a voice I'd love to punch. BigSoccer has such a huge hard-on that NBC has now made the mistake. I'd rather hear Mike Ness from Social D do the play by play than Arlo but I can see that I'm in another state of mind on this one.

What is up with you and rumors this month? Jason1MLS?

Keep em comming!

"..And THAT'S a RED!" classic moment.

10. 30Something

30Something Member

Jun 3, 2004
    5280 Feet
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm no Arlo fan either. Just trying to point out that one team will spend huge money on someone that has done it and understands the game. Another team will spend money on guys that do Big Time Raslin', Basketball, and Hockey.

At least we've moved on from the Lopez/Kosmicki duo.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'm insulted! :D

12. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    He may turn out fine.

Yeah sorry, too good of a joke to pass up.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't blame you. ;)

14. meanderingjeeper

May 27, 2003
    At my house
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
  15. Virginian

Virginian Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Denver, Co
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NO ONE knows the game better than some of the Rapids' die hard fans. They can speak more intelligently than any talking-head who has no more experience than watching the wrold cup every four years. A lot of them have played and many of them, like myself, have formal referee training. In short, they know the game and no one knows the players better.

The Rapids should do a contest and have fans submit their own play by play and/or analysis for a specific game. The winner or winners get to broadcast games. I'd bet they'd get a more intelligent sounding soccer guy/gal that would be far more appealing than anyone out there. Heck, they'd probably be better than most former players.

This would be a great PR move as well and I'd be willing to bet the winner would do it for free (beer).

16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, they may know the game better but they have no experience working in front of a camera or on TV. Just look at some of the EPL FanZone things they've aired on FSC for what happens when somebody without TV experience tries to call a game. It might work for the color guy (Balboa's job), but even then I doubt it.

17. RapidStorm

RapidStorm Member+

Jan 30, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, as much as I like the idea, this would be one big problem with it. The other big problem is, I have a hard time believing any of us diehards would be able to hide/contain our emotions and refrain from certain colorful language if something didn't go right in the game ;)

18. DavidJames

DavidJames Member+

May 11, 2003
    Longmont
    Ye of little faith. This is BigSoccer. We are better coaches, players, marketing directors, owners, technical directors, hell, better broadcaster should be childs play ;)

19. commercecity

commercecity Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Commerce City, CO
    This is true, but, all the polish in the world evaporates in an instant with "So the red card's an ejection, correct?".

The bar is laughably low, how could a tryout hurt things? Luckily, we can only go up from the recent past, barring the dream season of 2010 on channel 2.

If this announcer doesn't work out, KSE should just make the purists happy and just provide graphics and stadium noise. It would fit nicely with the front of our jerseys and probably save some money.

20. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    They could have tryouts and let the top entrants do up to 5-10 minutes, and run it like the gong show.

21. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

35 years ago I did a weekly soccer show on TV. At the time I was an experienced and a very good lecturer, however, weekly, at the beginning of each show, the red light would turn on on the TV camera and I would sit big eyed for a minute shocked like a deer in the headlights before commencing the show. There is more to appearing on TV than simply knowledge and comfort with the subject.

22. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm 99% sure that's what I would do.

Like most jobs, I think it looks pretty easy until I have to do it.

23. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More confirmation that the Rapids will be on Altitude, from the Rapids twitter:

[​IMG]

24. tonhtubra

tonhtubra Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    Fort Collins, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can anybody who watched the game on TV fill us in on how good or bad his first game was? Is this going to be excruciating to listen to or does he show some promise?

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the condensed match on Roku now. No "a red card, now that's an ejection right" moments but I'm not impressed by the commentary either. Marc Stout would have been a better choice.