*OUR* best 11?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by local136RiverRat, Dec 19, 2012.

1. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So much for predicting the midfield. Our bench is more expensive than our starters :D

2. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Swap out Valdes and Adu for Soumare and Kleberson, and I stick by this starting XI.

3. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you are bascially swapping Carroll for Soumare? Do you truly believe that Soumare is a better player right now than Brian Carroll? I realize that Carroll has not been in top form of late. I also realize that CDM is Okugo"s position of choice. However, reality being what it is, Okugo is a much better CB than CDM right now. Frankly, it is extremely hard to imagine that Brian Carroll is not a better CDM than Soumare is at CB right now. I am curious as to what you are basing your opinion of Soumare on? A. It is no longer 2009, B. The limited time that he actually played for us (last year vs. the Fire) he was terrible, and C. He obviously does not want to be here, which calls into question his desire and ability to play at a top level for the Union.

UnionDues repped this.
  4. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caroll has not been playing well, but it's not for lack of effort. I've always liked him; I just don't think he should be starting at this point. That being said, Soumare is a bum who played only one disastrous game last year and expected to waltz into a starting spot in March. Then, when he didn't get that starting spot, he immediately complained loudly and publicly, asking to be traded. Hack punished him by making him persona non-grata, much like he did Adu. Soumare will never again get so much as a sniff at the 18 on this team. He got the job here based on his form from four years ago. So he doesn't want to be here? Don't let the door hit you on the way out, buddy.

5. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who would win?

Konopka​
    Albright Jordan Soumare Garfan​
    Frenandes Lahoud Kleberson Torres​
    Wheeler LeToux​
    Or

McMath​
    Williams Okugo Parke Gaddis​
    Cruz Carroll Daniel Marfan​
    Mac Casey​
    Be a good game imo

6. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Starters would carve up that backline. 5-2 win.

7. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that indicates depth, not a bad thing or a problem. I watch a lot of MLS games involving teams other than the Union. I often don't know a lot of players on other teams' benches. I'm not sure that fans of other teams can say the same about the Union bench.

It's a long season and guys get injured, tired, called to play for their countries, etc. For a lot of teams, an injury to one player can be crippling. I'm not sure that's the case with this season's Union team.

8. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stalemate ...

K > M
    AJSG < WOPG
    FLKT > CCDM
    WL < MC

9. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the starters playing long ball and the bench side playing it more on the ground but still have Wheeler as an outlet......Soumare vs Casey would be the key to the game.

10. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Casey would win, hands down!

UnionDues repped this.
  11. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How in the world do you see depth here? Jordan, Wheeler, and Fernandes have no full speed MLS experience, and Soumare isn't looking like he can do anything!

Not sure how anyone could see that lineup of subs keeping pace with the starters. They'd try and rely solely on Klebs and LeToux, but without a quality supporting cast, that's just not going to work.

Easily 4-1, or so, to the starters. Although I do think Konopka provides some quality, so, maybe 3-1.

12. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    JackMac Casey
    Daniel Klebs Le Toux
    Carroll
    Garfan Parkugo Williams
    MacMath

Isn't Cruz just Seba without the ability to...y'know...score and create goals? It's frustrating. The strikers are red-hot, the backline is 75% fantastic (Gaddis should try out as an Eagles CB, but I'm not sure this LB thing is working out), but the midfield is just a hot mess.

13. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7 games into the season, is Gaddis:

1. Currently a better option at left back than Garfan
    2. Currently a better option at left back than Garfan was when he started playing left back
    3. Improving over this early stretch
    4. A viable option to grow into a reliable, serviceable left back

These questions are not mutually exclusive. Please discuss.

UnionDues, nhlman10 and aztec21bas repped this.
  14. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like it or not, the bench tends to be almost interchangeable with the starters. Garfan can slot in for Gaddis. Kleberson is as good if not better than Daniel. Cruz is worse than some on the bench. Konopka is a fine replacement for MacMath. LeToux has a lot of experience. Torres can play.

This either is a criticism of Hack's choices or shows that the team has depth. I prefer to see the world as half-full. (Disclaimer: I did not grow up in the Philadelphia area.)

15. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if he is improving because he has been inconsistent. He was good in the SKC game and has shown flashes here and there but has also shown lapses. He could fall into #4 but has to work on positioning. Also, he hasn't shown many flashes in the attack and you would figure with his speed that he should at least cause problems for opposing d.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    B-b-b-but Hackworth and Burke both said he's getting better at LB every day.

You know who was good at LB? Jordan Harvey.

17. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think Garfan was a better overall LB for us than Harvey. Harvey was better defensively but would kill the attack more than not. While Garfan isn't as solid as Harvey on the defensive side he wasn't far off.

18. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1. No.
    2. No.
    3. No.
    4. No.

He's a serviceable spot sub at RB. He's too right-footed to play effectively at LB. Hack has made a project out of him and it is not working. Sadly, that project is part of the starting XI. Send Gaddis to the bench and put Garfan in until a real LB is acquired.

LuckyStriker repped this.
  19. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know how anyone can make judgement of Soumare......he hasn't played at all. If he can't play than why was Valdes loaned out? Who out there would've said Cruz would be our starting RM and Daniel our starting CM before the season started........nobody! I'm all in for being proved wrong but I think we are in for a rude awakening if Hackworth keeps putting this lineup out there.

Our midfield is a bigger problem than Gaddis.

20. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gabe definitely offers/offered more in the attack than J-Harv did/could, but I have this feeling that when Harvey was traded to Vancouver was when the wheels started coming off the bus.

Handsome Pete repped this.
  21. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that the trade was questionable and it took Gabe a while to adjust to playing LB. Knowing what I knew then the trade was bad, knowing what I know now the trade was good as Gabe became a better overall LB but it took him a while to get there. After all the moves Nowak made I do not believe he 'knew' Gabe would be better than Harvey.

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Let's roll, boys;

Le Toux-------Casey--------JackMac
    Okugo--------Carroll--------Kleberson
    Gaddis-------------------Williams------
    ------Parke---------Soumare----------
    ---------------MacMath----------------

24. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

For Saturday? Di Vaio scores a minimum of three goals against that lineup.

25. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who do I have to blow to see this lineup? If Kleb is healthy, start him over Kassel.

[​IMG]