*OUR* best 11?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by local136RiverRat, Dec 19, 2012.

1. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Maybe he meant Anding. It's hard to tell those fast, hard-working guys with little ball skill apart, y'know.

2. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know Hack has his Cruz-mancrush and all, but starting him over McInerney? WTF is Tannenwald thinking?

3. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I think your first question answered your second.

BuddhaWake and Dills repped this.
  4. local136RiverRat

Oct 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Am I the only one the only one that thinks JackMac is overated?

AmericanMackem and BuddhaWake repped this.
  5. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mapp filled the role fairly well. I honestly think our attack suffered without him as a wide option, despite how streaky he was.

I'd say that's more of a result of him crossing often rather than well. Maybe I'm thinking too much in the past where he couldn't land a cross. I'll give you this, Sheanon very well could have improved his crossing and my memory could be fading.

6. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may not be significant but at the training yesterday, the coaches consistently told the players to keep the ball on the ground. There may be an effort to play possession this year. We will see.

Sheanon has trouble with long passes up the field. He has always been able to open up space and get a good cross off.

7. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He had at least two assists from crosses from open play last season, both to Jack Mac (NE & HOU). That's one more then the American Pele had all of last season........

8. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think he's overrated, but I do think this is a make or break year for him. He's got to take a (significant) step forward this year, or he's going to be gone. I think he's going to be a starter for the first ~15 games or so. If he doesn't have a minimum of 7-8 goals by then, look for the team to make a change. They're certainly constituted that no forward should think their job can withstand any kind of prolonged lack of production.

9. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your assumption would put Jack at 17 goals for the year (.5 gpg) over a 34 game season. I think that might be setting the bar a little high for someone who will is just this year a presumed full-time starter. Only three players (Wondo, Cooper, Saborio) made it to 17 goals last season.

10. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said awhile back that I expect 25-30 goals combined from Jack Mac and Marfan. I stand by that. Honestly, I am very, very optimistic about this team.

38 days and counting.

11. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The optimism I get, but then why are you calling to bench Jack if he's not on pace to compete for the golden boot 15 games in?

12. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't necessarily think that, but I do see a glut of forwards, and I think that's the path you're going to see the team go down. It's a bit of prognostication on my part, not necessarily what I think is best for the team. That being said, if he's not taken a step forward, if he's on three goals fifteen games in, he's got to go, IMO. I don't mean he's got to be benched, they've got to deal him and go with one of the many other options they've got.

It seems that the team has a lot of lottery tickets this year, at forward, in midfield, left back and backup CB. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these kids get jobs at the expense of guys like Lahoud, Keon, etc etc. If someone doesn't perform, the team seems very excited about guys like Anding, Wheeler, Okai etc. Seems like Sheanon, MacMath, Marfan, BC and Okugo's jobs are safe, and just about everyone else is up for evaluation based on play.

13. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't place Mac over either Seba or Casey at this point. If Hack wants to play with three Fwds then I think Mac can work well with the other two. It will be interesting to see which players make the roster and if any of the new people do well enough to alter Hack's plans. If someone who is not currently projected in the 11 supplants another player would Hack go to a 4-4-2 instead of the 4-3-3 it seems he wants will he adjust or just stick with what he wants. In all the stuff being asked of Hack I haven't heard if he was asked if he would change tactics to suit his players rather than trying to make the players fit his style a la king Peter.

local136RiverRat repped this.
  14. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you can safely add Le Toux , Casey, and Parke to your list. There is absolutely NO way they will not be on the field.

local136RiverRat repped this.
  15. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I still disagree with this. Jack is a better option that Seba right now and down the road.

SmashtheVan repped this.
  16. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now no, down the road maybe. Le Toux is a better all around option that Jack is right now. Jack still has things to work on and fortunately he is still young and has plenty of time. If you told me I had to pick one over the other I am taking Seba and I wouldn't even hesitate.

17. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry but this is ludicrous. Maybe Jack does about 12-15 goals or so over the entire season if he starts regularly, is given another forward to pair with, the planets align, and he does not get himself injured. Marfan produced 2 goals in 2011 in 1460 minutes, and only 1 goal this past season in 2802 minutes. He's a midfielder - a rather average one at that - currently being played out of position. How on earth does he find a dozen plus goals this year on one of the most offensively inept teams in the league? Snowball's chance, my friend.

18. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As good a chance as Soumare has of being one of the U's starting CB's? ;)

I kid, I kid. On a more serious note I do agree that getting 8-12 goals out Marfan is a littlle unrealistic. That said, I can see him creating 10-15 goals this season (scores 5-6, and dishes out 5-10 helpers). In my mind that is much more realistic.

As for Jack Mac, I'd say based off of his performance last season (more like half of last season), I'd realistically expect him to chip in a minimum of 10 goals. A realistic expectation for him I would imagine would be 10-15 goals this season.

The real question is how many goals can we realistically expect Seba and Casey to chip in? And then there's the production of the subs in Hop & Hoff? The contributions of those players will have a greater, more significant, impact on the level of success that our team will have this season.

19. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always the eternal optimist!

20. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well if you makes you feel any better.......I'm an Eternal Pessimist when it comes to my other favorite teams (Bills & Sabres). There's only so much room for pessimism, and it's already taken up and then some by those teams.

21. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    It looks like our forward unit is going to keep changing until we find something that works. I expect Hack to try everything. This could be very exciting.

EmeraldDawn repped this.
  22. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We've certainly got enough of them.

23. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm with you....he is not an etched in stone starter for me this season....

24. UnionDues

UnionDues Member+

Aug 16, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Jack a lot, and I hope he starts this year, but I do think there are certain aspects to his game that he needs to improve on, especially his dribbling. However, his positioning is excellent, he makes great runs, and he's very good in the air, especially considering he is under 6'.

25. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree he has great positioning, but anytime he has the ball at his feet expect it to be going the other way......all his touches should be shots on goal and nothing else and he will have a great season.