*OUR* best 11?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by local136RiverRat, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I'd be fine with that.

2. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

How about a 3-4-2-1?

[​IMG]

Not saying this is ideal, but it would get a lot of our "Best 11" players on the pitch at once. Napoli and Udinese play a similar crazy formation like this, and they both play attacking football while also being mostly stout defensively.

3. VAComet85

VAComet85 Member

Dec 23, 2007
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that Napoli and Udi are two of the most fun teams to watch in Serie A Id love to see that lineup. Would we win games with ridiculous scorelines? Yes, yes we would. Would we lose games with ridiculous scorelines? Without a shadow of a doubt.

4. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mwanga was very soft as a strikers.........reminded me of Ricky Watters going over the middle.

5. urchin

urchin SoB

Apr 13, 2011
    Bethlehem, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    To be fair, that mancrush outran the USMNT defense and Timmy-Hates-Spanish-Speakers-Howard on fresh legs in the fifth minute to put Guatemala 1 up.

SmashtheVan repped this.
  6. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    See, now if you would've told me it happened in the 55th, 65th, 75th, or 85th minute I would've been impressed. I've seen Ruiz chase some balls down - the monsoon game versus Seattle comes to mind. But, like Adu's brilliant plays, it stands out in my mind because it's such a rarity.

You know, the sun shines on a dog's ass every once in a while ...

7. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would switch Marfan and Garfan. Marfan can move the ball accross the field and take on defenders but he needs to start from the wing.

8. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But can Garfan handle the center? While I do prefer Marfan on the wing I think he is better in the center then what I have seen from the rest of the roster. Adu is the only player on the roster that can really play the center well but he must remove his cranium from his anal orifice and show he deserves it.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  9. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

couple of cost-effective pieces to add. Trying to get more width/depth on the left while taking better advantage of LeToux's propensity to roam. Mkosana gives flexibility to move LW and making more of a 4-3-3 at times............

Smoke signals on the Captain portending exit.

10. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the picture - McMath the beast needs no center defenders. Just try to attack his goal head on!!

mattylip repped this.
  11. LuckyStriker

LuckyStriker Member+

Favorite club? a German one..........
    Apr 14, 2010
    in exile-Statute of Limitations yet to expire
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

eh, the shirts are inflexible, the players aren't. (first time trying to work with that thing, give me a break.......:)) * I said I wanted width..............

12. OwlSaver

OwlSaver Member+

Jan 26, 2005
    Berwyn, PA (127, J)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, nt a dig at you at all. I actually do like it. It would be great if we could try and psych out our opponents by claiming this was the formation we planned to use against them. Realisticlly, I would expect the Union to keep it quite and then spring it on the opponents at the last minute and then wonder why we lost 7-0. :)

13. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Or this....

[​IMG]

Looking at it, you have 5 defenders, 5 midfielders, and 5 forwards

14. EmeraldDawn

EmeraldDawn Member+

May 11, 2008
    Brick, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can you lose when it's 15 v 11?

15. LINETRASH

LINETRASH Member+

Jul 19, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Sunderland AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    16....You forgot McMath! ;)

EmeraldDawn repped this.
  16. trzee

trzee Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Aston, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rep'd for creativity. I'm, like you, skeptical that we could handle it. It certainly would be aggressive. That said, anything is worth trying after the year we just had.

17. bornsteinforlife

Jun 21, 2012
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    [​IMG]

The problem last year wasn't the defense, it was mainly creating and finishing chances. Replacing Parke with Valdes should be fine, and Carroll as a D-mid is very solid. Marfan and Cruz as your outside mids are strong defensively and Marfan can add things to the attack as well. I think with the two new strikers, a lot more of Freddy's chances created will be finished. Also Freddy playing in his natural position will make her that much more effective. If he sucks than yeah I agree you should bench him and change the formation, but right now I think he deserves a chance to play in his natural position now that we have adequate forwards. Soumare can be your backup CB and Jack Mac your backup striker. I think Cruz is pretty bad but Hack loves him and at least he can provide some defensive cover for Freddy.

onehandedtyr repped this.
  18. Tyr

Tyr Member+

Nov 7, 2009
    Lawrenceville
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The diamond seems to be our best option.

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which means the empty bucket will be utilized more times than not.

20. G-Ho Blue

G-Ho Blue Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Yep, I'd bet on this for our opening day lineup. I feel a lot better about Cruz in a "run around and play D" role than as a 4-3-3 winger, for sure.

21. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think everybody has their favorites right now for formations and the starting XI, but seasons aren't made or broken by the first XI, the 18 or the 20 are just as relevant as the presumed starting cast over the course of the season with injuries, fixture congestion, and formational flexibility.

I think these are the best players 18 players on our roster today (Valdes and Pfeffer not included) with the next most field ready player IMHO in (parentheses).

GK - MacMath (Konopka)
    D - Garfan, Soumare, Parke, Williams, Gaddis (Albright)
    M - Carroll, Okugo, Lahoud, Marfan, Cruz, Adu, Torres, Daniel (Jordan)
    F - Hoppenot, McInerney, Le Toux, Casey (Hoffman)

Unfortunately, as of today, the only line I can say improved in the offseason is the forward line with the addition of Casey and LeToux. (Adding Parke would have improved the defensive line but I think Valdes missing the season is a wash out). I think Hackworth has done a good job of cleaning house, I just hope that we're not done acquiring best 18 caliber players ahead of this season.

22. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    You are seriously underestimating what both Parke and Soumare will bring to that backline. Especially Parke.

23. UnionBulldog

UnionBulldog Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Ridley Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, I think as long as Soumare is healthy him and Parke are a better tandem than Valdes and Okugo. It would not be a huge upgrade as Valdes was a very good player for us and Okugo grew to be a decent CB as the season progressed. Okugo still has a lot of potential as both/either CB/DM.

alessandro2016 repped this.
  24. trzee

trzee Member

Sep 5, 2007
    Aston, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seeing as Adu may be on the way out...
    [​IMG]
    ^ Maybe Anding will beat out Gabe for the LB spot, but this is basically what I think we can expect at this point going into training camp and preseason.

25. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can dig that. Threw me off at first, I'm so used to setting them up with GK/Def at the bottom. I thought, MacMath as the lone striker? Damn ...