Other Teams ** Only Italy ** [R]

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by DDR, Feb 19, 2013.

1. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that Juve's average age is 29. Where as Roma have one of the youngest in Italy(I think ours was 24 or 25?).

Obviously doesn't necessarily mean anything, but Juve are nearing the end with a number of players.

2. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    I disagree. Juve will be strong for a long time, especially with milan and inter sucking so bad.

Roma are the only team that kept juve on their toes as napoli shit the bed quite a while ago.

3. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Plus they own a fair share of the top young talent getting experience in the league who can in time be added. Plus they have money to buy more players and refs let's not forget ;)

4. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Thats how teams past their prime drop, overnight, or more accurately over the summer. It happened a million times before. Juves whole bench is old, most of them want out, so no one will replace their starters easily except Ogbonna.

5. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    None of their young talent proved to be able to play at the highest level so far, so most likely they will suffer a quality drop going from a guy like Tevez to Immobile at least for awhile. They need to spend a lot of money to maintain their levels, which I'm not sure they will do. Refs will only get them so far.

Conte apparently is provoking Udine fans for some reason, I'd like to see him pull something like that in the Olimpico:laugh:

FORZA NAPOLI <3 repped this.
  6. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Drop doesn't need to mean that they will fail to qualify for CL. Right now they are on their way to 99+ points this season, and there is a lot of room to go down without being weak. They can achieve 85 points and will win the league 95% of the time. So we will need to handle the CL without suffering a drop from our current levels to reach 90+ points, and this will require a lot of improvement to our bench.

7. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/serie-a/startseite/wettbewerb_IT1.html

ours is 27 but it's mostly because of De Sanctis, Taddei, Totti, Lobont, and Maicon dragging that average up. most of these players will not be with us soon

more importantly is that we have a lot of starting players are all U-23. there are also players over 23 who will last us a while, like Benatia, Castan, and Radja

Toloi Romagnoli Dodo
    Pjanic Strootman
    Florenzi Destro Ljajic

we're also bringing in talents like Sanabria, Paredes, Jedvaj, Berisha and de Silva, just to name the big ones. and Vestenicky, Radonjic, Golubovic, and Abner as the rest. not to mention there's Antei, Viviani, Verre, and Bertolacci out on loan.

GamE_Ove12 repped this.
  8. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

We will have to agree to disagree. I don't see it being possible for them to not successfully replace players other than pirlo which might cause a lot of problems for them. Maybe if conte leaves for another challenge they might also drop. Also us next year to compete it will take a fair jump in depth with one or two top talents also added. Its a lot and will be no easy task.

They may well slip up on their points total next year but that doesn't mean to say they are past it. These players can be replaced over 2-3 years, while maintaining a very high level. Its pure fantasy to think they will all drop at once

9. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Yeah exactly they will need to replace a lot of players, and to bring players that can play at the same level Buffon, Lichtesteiner, Tevez and Barzagli are currently playing without suffering from a drop in level and team chemistry will cost fortunes which I'm not sure they are willing to do. Teams go through cycles, and this team is at their highest point and there is no going back. A new cycle will need a year or 2 to reach the prime again, which should be our opportunity to do something good.

This happens to teams stronger than Juve all the time, it happened to Inter in 2011 which was a stronger team, it happens to Real/Barca/Bayern/Chelsea/City/Man UTD even with their non ending cash streams. Cycles are inescapable in football, even if you spend 100M every summer.

GamE_Ove12 repped this.
  10. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gawd. Another whimper from a mid table team against Juve.

I do think that Juve will have a big drop off in the somewhat near future. Pirlo has been able to abuse teams when no one else can break them through. I think if you lose any one of their big three CM's, there really isn't any amount of money you can spend to replace them because all three are special. Pogba is probably the most replaceable right now, but the future is so bright with him that I'd probably want to unload him the least of the three.

11. St. Michael's Sword

Mar 7, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC

Him and Buffon will be hard to replace. Tevez has another year or two and if we get someone like Cerci next to Immobile our offense will be fine. Lichsteiner, Barzagli, and others are more or less replaceable at this point. We might not light up the league in two years but we'll still compete for top 2-3 and I doubt next season will be much different than this one. We had a bad early start due to lack of ST chemistry that should no longer be an issue if Tevez and Llorente both stay. The only team I remember going from world beaters to failures in 2 years was Inter and that was mostly due to awful management that Juve doesn't have.

12. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure it's that important to have a great goalkeeper. You just can't have a terrible one. Without Pirlo, the attack is a bit flat IMO, and at some point, age is going to catch up to him at the club level. I thought it was fairly apparent that age was an issue with Italy the last two summers, but it doesn't seem to catch up with him at Juve to this point.

That's not to say we aren't living on a knife's edge with an AARP member being our best creator, because we are. I just think Pirlo is the biggest difference between three points and one point on days the rest of the team isn't feeling it. While I think our biggest struggles were tied to three issues aligning themselves (Gervinho injured, Totti injured, Borriello playing).

Still, it took a record breaking opening of the season to even make Juve sweat.

St. Michael's Sword repped this.
  13. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    [​IMG]

Totti is 1 assist away from Gervi despite missing almost half of the season. We needed to be lucky with him not getting injured (like last season) to win the league, but unfortunately that didn't happen.

14. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
  15. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
  16. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Like who?

17. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Like me, Falvo, La Magica, etc.

18. Sal

Sal Red Card

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    yeah but you guys aren't spewing nonsense about how Gastadello, Antonini and Antonelli deserve to go the the world cup.

19. meazza

meazza Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Yeah but I repped all those posts lol

jk

Oban14, Andreas, La Magica and 1 other person repped this.
  20. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It makes for excellent reading. I was thinking of asking to do a Luca toni to make the squad poll so I could then make an ignore list but didn't want to start a bitchfest ( falvo excluded of course)

21. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Buffon says he was close to joining us 2 years ago before Conte talked him out of it. Too bad, he was close to us many times but it never happened. If only Franco signed him instead of Pelizolli..

22. schnix

schnix Member+

Roma
    North Korea
    Jan 2, 2012
    SFR YUGOSLAVIA
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Serbia and Montenegro
    i remember seeing that link a few summers ago

would've been a good signing for us. Buffon is one of the few Rube players i slightly do not hate

23. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He would've been gone a long time ago even if

24. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    We would have at least got a scudetto or 2 out of him before he left. He was open to joining us in 2006 too if I remember correctly, but Rosella didn't want to open her purse.

25. Wolfbeatseagle

Wolfbeatseagle Member+

May 7, 2007
    The Bermuda Tetrahedron
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't have mattered unless Juve were accepting cobwebs as payment back then.