Alert: Other teams discussion thread Vol. 13. - spoilers within.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 23, 2014.

1. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No, it's a protest song. " I'm sorry Neymar, But during this world cup I won't be cheering for you, I’m tired of watching our people fading slowly on TV shows..."

2. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    the world cup song is never great & fifa rarely does anything right

but as a massive fan of music from brasil...i was stunned speechless that they didnt choose a local artist

3. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    not just the official track by pitbull and jlo

the whole playlist is wack:

(http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/y...fficial-album-tracklist-revealed-2316268.html)

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  5. NASI GORENG

NASI GORENG Member+

Feb 19, 2013
    fairfax
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    i decided to give psirico a chance cause i'd never heard of them and google told me they're from salvador (a cultural hotspot)

here are my findings

so much could be said but...

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're waiting for Phenix City FC?

7. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    #257 Q*bert Jones III, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    I don't doubt that MLS HQ has a nearly unbelievable record of success and who am I to call them big fat dummies? But this whole Southeast Experiment is going to be a goddamned nightmare.

Atlanta is a sprawling shithole that has no record of support for any professional sport and no soccer culture whatsoever. But at least they'll be playing in a cavernous football stadium. The only reason this team will exist is to occupy the stadium for 20 nights a year. On the bright side, NE and DC will surely have competition for Worst Owner In The League for years to come. This team will set MLS back 10 years.

Miami has already proven what a terrific area it is for soccer.:rolleyes: The presumption that if the partial owner is very handsome then the team will be a huge success is somewhat less than credible. And given the awful fans and owner's bias, you don't need to be a psychic to know they'll way overspend on one or two huge names. This team will be an anchor around the ankles for years to come.

I don't have any particular animus to Orlando City, as they've done everything right. They have built up a fan base and are building an appropriate stadium and seem to have developed roots in the community. But Central Florida has already shown that they don't deserve a team.

(While I'm predicting the future, NYCFC is going to be shitnado too. A freaking baseball stadium. An identity that repels many fans. An ownership group that alienates many others. It's very, very difficult to make Red Bull look like the classy team in town and yet somehow they've done it. Well, at least being the minor league affiliate to an overseas team is a known recipe for success. Isn't that right, Chivas USA?)

I don't measure how well a team comes out of the gate. I'm sure all these teams will be adequate for their first few years. I measure a team based on how they're doing 12 years down the road and they're in last place on a Wednesday night in the rain. I have no doubt that these teams are destined to be poor representatives of the league.

It all makes you wonder if the owners wanted to hitch a ride on the expansion fee ponzi train before it's too late.

8. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I have no problems with Atlanta, the city or the people. I'm already tired of some of the asshole fans of Atlanta who will needlessly defend and back shit that has nothing to do with soccer. I hate the us versus them/we're the victim shit some of them are already pulling.

9. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Technically, not "overseas." Carry on. ;)

Alejandro 10, Bootsy Collins and asitis repped this.
  10. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember seeing him for the first time in some beer commercial, and my first thought was "Who is this ********tard?" Then I laughed because I assumed it was just some dorky made-up character for the commercial, but I was wrong.

Winoman repped this.
  11. PACfutbol

PACfutbol Member

May 25, 2006
    Bloomington
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know if i should post this here or start a new thread, but......

MLS Commishoner Don Garber has prostate Cancer. In a memo to staffs of MLS teams it was said he will continue working and he expects full recovery.

12. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's wishing him all the best for a speedy recovery! :thumbsup:

13. RaveGreen

RaveGreen Member

Seattle Sounders FC
    Apr 6, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I come in peace. We're both neutral here.

But weren't you one of the guys who said back in 2009 that Seattle would fail after a year or two? You mentioned the big "NFL stadium" as the prime reason I recall.

And there was also this gem from 2006 which makes me question how well connected you are to what is going on in any of the cities you mentioned:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/community/...se-to-seattle-game.386022/page-6#post-9118465

Clearly you didn't know much about the strength and history of the footy scene up here or that our GM convinced your front office to give us the game when you wrote that so it does make one raise questions about your judgement regarding expansion.

Maybe those teams will all be successes like Seattle and Portland?

I suspect those days are over. The league is secure now and plenty of teams are turning a profit. Beyond that, quite a few of the teams in MLS, including yours are worth more than the expansion fees.

This is not the old NASL.

14. Don't Tread on Me

Aug 11, 2010
    Charleston, South Carolina
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just thinking this random thought. I'll take RFK for the next 100 years over a horrible astroturf abomination, no matter how many fat hipsters show up to watch the game being played on it.

Not sure what made me think that.

15. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't recall ever claiming that Seattle would fail although you seem to know my posting history better than I do. :D

Having said that, and despite the colossal success of Seattle, I don't judge success based on how a team does out of the gate. Don't forget that New England and DC were powerhouses in the early years of MLS. I'll be curious to see how Seattle is doing after they've missed the playoffs 5 years in a row. The post you quoted by me above shows how transient things can be; it seems completely laughable now (and, in fairness, was back then too) that DC would be marketing to the northwest, but back then United was a glamour team and Seattle only had a USL-Pro team.

My opinion of the three southeast teams hasn't changed one bit. I think they'll represent MLS poorly and I fear that Atlanta and Miami, in particular, will be MLS' white elephants.

16. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    MLS closed shop twice already in Florida. They could (and probably will) do it again.

17. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    If it sounds wrong then you likely said it.

I vaguely recall you saying the moon landing was a hoax at some point.

18. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vaguely recall you saying something about the Right Stuff program being a waste of time and that anybody could have landed on the moon. I think there was a graph also.

NASI GORENG repped this.
  19. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    I vaguely remember you saying Hulkamania wasn't sweeping the nation, but it swept and it swept hard.

20. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on brother!

21. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because they were targeting the wrong fan demographic. This time, I think they've got it right:

[​IMG]

Alejandro 10, asitis and Winoman repped this.
  22. shammypants

shammypants Member+

Oct 9, 2013
    Club:
    DC United
    And boom goes the dynamite.

[​IMG]

23. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not sure how only 25 folks at a tryout is successful...but whatever floats your boat

SUCCESSFUL April 12th & 13th PRO TRIAL!
    Evergreen Diplomats held a successful Tryout! ! Do you have what it takes?
    The Evergreen Diplomats held a small initial trial this past weekend at the state of the art Evergreen Sportsplex for about 25 participants . Players in attendance were that of MLS, USL, MISL, PASL and European experience with many showing well enough to catch the eye of the Staff and Coach Richie Burke. We look forward to our next trial in mid May as we look to shape the roster for the August ASL League Start Date. Details of the May trial will be posted in the coming days! If you think you have what it takes to play at the professional level, let the Evergreen Diplomats staff evaluate you for the possibility. We also encourage all to visit the ASL League website for details on the Combine set for April 30th - May 2nd.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  25. Q*bert Jones III

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Astroturf, a cavernous football stadium, shitty fans who live in shitty exurban sprawl. What could possibly go wrong?

The Cold Sea repped this.