Alert: Other teams discussion thread Vol. 13. - spoilers within.

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by morrissey, Mar 23, 2014.

1. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1 morrissey, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2014
    Because it is time.

Continued from here.

2. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Time to watch Chicago v NYRB in Spanish. This is the life of an MLS fan.

The Cold Sea repped this.
  3. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    #3 John L, Mar 23, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    Pepe's such a pussy - He deserved a Red Card

I really, really like Real Madrid this year (now that's Mourinho is well done and gone). They're playing fast and pure and full of slick passing and off-the-ball runs. But Pepe's flops at the very beginning of the season and now this make we wanna change my wind.

JRHokie repped this.
  4. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Two rather soft PKs for both teams. Alves was definitely a foul but other players (unlike Ronaldo) would've kept on their feet. Ramos's foul was soft but was from the rear. Yellow Card, yes. But a Red Card was harsh. But perhaps LotG

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I only had 724 of the 10171 posts over 4.5 years. It wasn't time.

Barbieri and fatbastard repped this.
  6. freekickwiz

freekickwiz Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    Under the endless sky
    Club:
    DC United
    Catching up on highlights. I love Lenhart's "Hand of Douche" that led to the penalty.

Q*bert Jones III, Winoman and DCUSA repped this.
  7. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't have any problem with CR going down. I had a problem with a PK given with the foul being outside the box. But on that play, that's an easy mistake for the referee to make.

LotG. If he called the foul at all, he had to give a red, because it was DOGSO. It was unfortunate for Ramos because in slo-mo it became clear that when Ramos realized Neymar was going to get position on him he tried to avoid the contact -- it was just too late.

Barbieri repped this.
  8. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001
    Maybe you should put a link from the other thread and point it here instead of shutting it down without explanation.

Thx,

Jay!

Q*bert Jones III and sitruc repped this.
  9. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    Alves stuck his foot out behind him, so that was a foul waiting to happen. Agree that most players would and probably should go down.

It looked to me as if Neymar realized that Ramos was very, very close behind him. And that when he cut to his left, either he got cleanly around the goal lee or by slowing down Ramos would foul him from behind.

Not real strong PK calls but well within the rules. And if one of those was a PK, then the other had to be as well.

OTOH - There were two earlier non-calls, and conversely, if one these wasn't a PK, then neither was the other:
    (1) Neymar getting obviously chopped by Pepe the Wuss as he was dribbling back towards the top of the box; and
    (2) Ronaldo muscling back into Mascherano for a high floating ball in the box and then Mascherano simply gliding away from the pressure as the ball went over both of them.

I started to come around to Real Madrid last season with Ozil and realizing their potential with skill, speed and teamwork, and even after he left, they've continued that. And always loved Barcelona for a number of reasons. Funny, though, how most of their games turn out really, really ugly. Sorta like Boca Jrs vs River Plate back when they battled each other for titles in Argentina.

10. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is there an ALERT prefix/tag on this (and another) thread?

11. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tried - it was a mobile fail. It was corrected by another mod before I got a chance. Sorry.

James

12. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is meant to "Alert" the user that there are spoilers within.

James

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I never would have guessed that, I thought it meant breaking important time-sensitive news or something.
    Interesting.
    Carry on, I guess

Unless I can pay to to unsticky it and a few others

sitruc repped this.
  14. John L

John L Member+

Sep 20, 2003
    Alexandria, VA
    "ALERT" = Spoilage Within

Barbieri repped this.
  15. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    WTF is up with all these 4pm kickoffs? Is this a change MLS is trying to make?

I hate it.

16. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait til you get to the 2:30 games :eek:

There have always been a couple 4/4:30 games, but this year there does seem to be an unusually high number of them. The main (but not only) culprit seems to be NBCSN, I think in the past it was Univision or Telefutura.

17. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame me. Every time a ticket rep calls me I tell him 7 and 8pm are too late for my kids.

Kidding. I do tell him that, but I also honestly tell him that I think they should keep the games at night, with just a couple daytime games in April/May/Sept/Oct.

MattR repped this.
  18. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did some sticky cleanup yesterday. I believe we only have 3 at the moment. I can see how the other threads can rise and fall on their own merit but I don't think having three stickies is too many.

James

nobletea, NattyBo and fatbastard repped this.
  19. asitis

asitis Member+

Mar 30, 2005
    Charlottesville
    #19 asitis, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    If you keep being responsive like this, you're going to get a reputation.

asitis

20. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Thanks. I knew there were a few, but I guess its just depends on what NBC want ot show.

I hope they arent trying to latch onto EPL coverage. I dont think most fans will sit down and watch soccer from 7:45am to 5:00pm on a Saturday.

21. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    I just saw photos of David Beckham with four others in Miami MLS scarves. They were sky and navy. So, have they heard about NYCFC, or did they get the material for the scraves on the cheap after NYCFC's were made? ;):thumbsup:o_O

Winoman repped this.
  22. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't those the KC colors also?

Alejandro 10 and Winoman repped this.
  23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
  24. Alejandro 10

Alejandro 10 Member+

Feb 15, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Good call. I suppose I have seen the NYCFC logo plastered all over and forgot about them.

25. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This article is often posted and interpreted incorrectly. The 4,000 workers are from all work-related incidents in the entire country, not World-Cup specific jobs. I'm sure the number is huge, but nowhere near 4,000.

The last sentence of the article compares specifically 7 Brazilian workers dying in World Cup Prep to 4,000 in another country and for all labor related deaths.

The first paragraph:

"A recent report suggests that unless Qatar issues and enforces sweeping labor reforms soon, more than 4,000 migrant workers in the country will die before it hosts the 2022 World Cup"

implies only that a total of 4,000 migrant workers (from since when? all time?) will have died by 8 years from now.

Alejandro 10 repped this.