Other Teams and MLS....stuff [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the risk of sounding like one of those SEC football fans we all hate, ppg doesn't tell the whole story because of the unbalanced schedule. When you're a team like KC and you're feasting on the weakest teams in the league week after week, your ppg should be good. OTOH, the west is stacked so the teams are just beating each other up thanks to their loaded schedules.

Yeah, I can never hope to prove what I just said, but just pointing out that ppg is not the end-all be-all when everybody's not playing everybody else an equal number of times.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, ppg is a bad gauge, but if you go simply off the eye test (which a lot of the power rankings want to do) it's hard to argue that the top of the east isn't better than the top of the west.

I'd pick DC, New York, KC, and maybe even Chicago over the current RSL.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other MLS news, last night I heard a rumor (from a good source) that LA has made Frank Lampard a 2-year offer at $20 million.

This has caused me to think that maybe LA has set a bad precedent with these expensive European DP's...they pretty much have to have one at all times to placate their fickle fan base. The expectation is there. That's not a great position to be in from a management perspective, especially if he doesn't do well.

BalanceUT repped this.
  5. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    It's things like this that make me believe that MLS will add an extra DP spot or give a bigger cushion on the salary cap. LA has now, unofficially, two DP's that could play for them next season if things go LA's way.

I hate LA and NY, but having well known clubs will really give a boost to the MLS world wide. From a business standpoint, LA/NY is a great idea. From a fan standpoint, ******** those guys.

6. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is the road to financial ruin for MLS. IMO, the way the league has handled the DP rules has been destructive. I'm hoping the league sobers up before the multiple and very expensive DP trend moves beyond NYRB and LAG.

7. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    until they win each and every trophy, other teams don't really have an incentive to do so.
    Last year was the first time in which a team with a DP pulled off a double of any sort, wasn't it?

8. jessyca

jessyca Member

Jun 8, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have really mixed feelings about the Lampard rumors.. he's one of my favorite players so it would be fun to see him play, but for LA? Ugh.

So, who will he replace? Donovan to Everton? Keane back to Villa?

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    none of the above
    get ready for a "big announcement from MLS" before the "big announcement from LA" if ya know what I mean

10. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I've been watching the Saudi Arabia/Iraq game and I must say... I'm pretty sure the Ogden Outlaws could beat them both.*

*Didn't know where this was suppose to go, so I put it here. Sue me.

11. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    I WIN!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ommittee-suspends-beckham-role-scuffle-quakes

Black Prince repped this.
  13. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nesta is now with Mont. and is not a DP this season.

14. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One game? Are you kidding me? Shea gets 3 for the same thing.

15. SpiffCoug

SpiffCoug Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Orem, Ut
    The East also has 3 of the bottom 4 teams in ppg and 4 of the bottom 6.

So 40% of their teams are in the bottom 20% of the league and 30% are in the top 15%. Not only do they have an unbalanced schedule, they also have an unbalanced conference.

16. Krhoades

Krhoades Member

Apr 11, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Would it make sense to set this up as east vs west, only count the games this season when two teams, one from each conference, played each other? Add up all the points earned for each conference for each game, and voila! I'd do it, but I'm too lazy.

17. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, good move by the timbers IMO, kimura is a solid defender and can ge forward at times, timbers defense has been a circus with all the injuries this year. Crapids continue to....not surprise me, such an average organization a best.

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya I dont know what to think of this whole Free Teddy situation. Nobody has posted any truths or situations/causes for the ban, either via fans or the crapids FO. Which is messed up in its own right, but leaves an incredible amount of area to be filled with speculation. So what do we get? This whole fan action support thing going on in other stadiums. Maybe Teddy was an asshat (goes against what I've read, but again those are closer personal opinions) who did a bunch of small things that just finally added up. Maybe the cRapids FO went overkill and tried to kill a bug with a rocket launcher. Based on my experiences with their fans and their FO, both are perfectly reasonable things I could see coming from them.

Guess what I'm trying to say is that this does not shock me at all. That organization from it's fans all the way to the top is completely clueless and running a circus.

20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, as soapbox said, its really weird how little complaint has come out of cRapid fans.
    They use the excuse of: well we don't want to make the situation worse
    well... it screams that there is a whole lot more to the situation than is being presented thus far.

Regardless, the way the cRapids handled it is bullshit. You don't kick out a fan in your supporters section (I believe he is a STH) via a letter. Grow a pair, handle it properly, and allow the guy to actually talk about the situation.

Jasonma repped this.
  21. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    I vote for "Douchedouche."

Maybe "Double Douche" in a pinch.

Lizzie Bee repped this.
  22. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    It's not just an expectation. It's a contractual obligation in the TV deal with Time Warner. If they want their $5 million a year, they've got to have high profile players.

Unak78 repped this.
  23. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    Unless some new information has come up, it wasn't really the Rapids who did it -- it was from the Kroenke corporate offices, and was possibly done without the Rapids FO knowing about it.

24. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    This concludes your Allez RSL triple* post. I'll be back next week if you want to schedule some time away from the boards.

*Quadruple.

15 to 32 and lurpythepirate repped this.