Other Teams and MLS....stuff [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Still, it's not only about wins and losses but about marketability and you absolutely need the latter in cities like NY and LA at least to some extent. DPs can help or you can build in other avenues. The cap is set up specifically to offset the immediate attributes of a DP signing bc you have to give up depth unless your academy program is steadily churning out winners which doesn't even happen with the best clubs in the world.

2. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you haven't watched Juve too much this past season, have you?
    Del Piero has essentially taken the role of 15 minutes left sub who sits around the top of the center circle hoping for service and to make 1 or 2 runs.

He is a Juve legend, but he won't have what it takes to play physically in this league at all

Dinho is looking for a new place to party. He is a decent player who might have a little left in the tank, but he isn't going to take MLS or LAG seriously. He'll be out at 2 am the night before a game on a bender. He did it at Milan, why would he suddenly change now?

3. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly out of all the foreign dp's the league has seen, there's only a few I can think of offhand that have been worth the price. Angel, Schelotto, Henry, and Beckham has been pretty solid the last couple years (not so much the first few). That's 4 out of.. what, 20 or so? Most of the rest fell flat on their faces or weren't anywhere near worth it on the field. I'm sure a lot of them the cost was made up for in merchandise and extra people at the gate, but not for on field performance.

4. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd add Blanco and possibly Lopez.

5. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and this guy named Saborio

6. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But he is only a DP because of his buy-out.;)

15 to 32 repped this.
  7. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DrownedElf repped this.
  8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen that before. The Wenger part cracks me up every time.

9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news for Perlaza is he probably won't be playing for Nowak for long. Even Philly's FO has to be smart enough to fire him soon.

Piotr Nowak is now unemployable IMO. I wouldn't hire him to trim my hedges. And this is a very unpopular opinion, but I still maintain that he ruined Freddy Adu. I think Freddy would have had a much better career if Nowak hadn't been his first pro coach.

11. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Yeah. He must've been thrilled to get out of that situation and move to that career-building mecca that was Ellinger's RSL. :rolleyes:

pate, 15 to 32, georg and 1 other person repped this.
  12. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It gave us Rimando. One of our best trades ever.

13. Taragui

Taragui Member+

Aug 13, 2006
    Northern Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Does it still count if we totally blew him off and let New York have him, only to be informed by Garlick that he was leaving soccer to pursue his true passion of real estate, at which time we called New York and said, essentially, "Oops! Can we have him back, please?"

14. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seemed to work with Kreis as well. ;) Sadly, up until Rimando, I never really liked any of our keepers. I'll always remember that terrible mustache competition though.

15. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were it not for Piotr Nowak, I don't think the Ellinger part of Freddy's career would have even happened. Recent and long-past history tells us that Nowak makes personnel decisions based on his current state of emotion...not the way to build a winning franchise.

16. I_Believe_In_Kreis

Oct 2, 2006
    on the pitch
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't see anyone mention this yet but Winter is out as head coach of Toronto FC. Paul Mariner is in. Mariner getting a head coaching gig is about 5 years too late IMO.

Does that make TFC better? Right away I'd say no, but long term I think it does. If TFC have the patience to stick with him, that is.

17. Mr.C

Mr.C Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    All-Star voting starts tomorrow, make sure to vote for SJ and Seattle players. Not RSL players.

TheBiff, d1ddy, Allez RSL and 3 others repped this.
  18. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    100%! Well said!

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will TFC be patient, though?
    I think Winter's side had a lot of potential and was just getting all the bad luck in the world. I mean, hell, they should have gotten at least a point off us here. They should have drawn if not won nearly half of those first 9 or 10 games they lost.

Their situation wasn't as bad as their record suggests.

I fear that they'll be in for another "transition" year or two, not do as well as hoped, and then can Mariner. It's essentially like having the head coaching position of the Knicks. Tons of pressure, inpatient owners, and fans that will eat you alive.

Unak78 repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    not just them, vote for teams that are cutting it close to the salary cap. The wonderful setup in MLS makes it so that bonuses received from being selected go against the cap...

TheBiff and Taragui repped this.
  21. UPinSLC

UPinSLC Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    SL,UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lmfao, good times. scott garlick, dj countess. ahhh the glory days of RSL.

22. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    ...and Fredy Montero, Alvaro Fernandez, and although he wasn't perfect Blaise Nkufo hardly fell on his face. Danny Koevermans hasn't been great this season, but there were few strikers on more of a tear last season. Omar Bravo was also good last season. He was a headache but he played well. 9 goals don't lie. There are more than a few good DPs. To say anything less is a bit of an over-generalization that's way too common concerning this topic.

23. Unak78

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    In this case it wasn't just TFC. At least on this forum, their fans seemed patient enough and understood the downside of a quick trigger and how that had bitten them in the past. It seemed more the general soccer media that was calling for Winter's head more than anything. What's ironic is that after weeks of the general media wondering when TFC would finally can their coach, they all seem bewildered today that TFC has gone through so many coaches. :rolleyes:

24. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
    What's really remarkable, beside the media showing themselves to be morons, is the apparent influence the media has on MLSE's decisions about TFC.

I can't imagine Hansen/Checketts (or Manning, I guess) ever caving to repeated, blistering attacks from James Edward calling for them to replace a coach they had stated was hired as part of a long-term project.

Maybe it's just because MLSE is already well-established in the sporting culture in Toronto, and if it were a group that didn't also own the Maple Leafs, nobody in the media would care?

25. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Voting opens today. If you pick only SJ and Seattle players you get the exact 11 that you can vote for...:D