Other Teams and MLS....stuff [R]

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by UPinSLC, Mar 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nfc1432

nfc1432 Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Not sure where this belongs so I'll put it here. I know I have wrong/old information on teams total payroll, so if someone has a link for better information I'd appreciate it. All I wanted to know is if teams keep up their ppg, where they'd end the season (does the East also play 34 games?), and really how much would each team be spending per point.

mls points.JPG

Obviously LAG and TFC stick out. How can they be spending that much more than most everyone else and still suck that bad? We are among the top lowest teams for least $ per point meaning we are getting the most out of our money.

This is just something I wanted for myself and thought I'd share. Again I'd appreciate more accurate information as far as team payrolls go. I got this from
    http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/story/_/id/7666147/soccer-mls-teams-highest-payrolls-projected-strong-seasons-espn-magazine which was written in March.
    [​IMG]

2. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home
  3. Ivensor

Ivensor Member

Nov 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Looks like, once again, the correlation between money spent on players and performance on the field is pretty much zero. Guess I'll stay in the no-DP-for-RSL camp.

4. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What SKC has done is to be admired and applauded. Their Front Office has absolutely killed it in player acquisition...just like RSL did about 3-4 years ago...only SKC did a lot more with the draft.

5. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    To be fair LA did get their money's worth in a title and two Supporters Shields as well as 3 CCL appearances. NY is currently getting their money's worth with what looks to be two straight playoff appearances and a possible Supporters Shield this year.

Toronto sticks out more, but they've promoted so many homegrown players in such a short time and their DPs are so injury prone that it's a case where they're essentially trying to win with alot of teenagers on the roster. I think that that's hurt them more than anything. The question is if they'll be patient enough to allow these kids to mature and become competitive to augment the money spent on the older talent.

Seattle has done things in alot of the same ways that RSL has, with smart scouting of international roster spots and a good mix of youth and veterans. Portland has tried to follow Seattle's model of player selection without as much success. Even to the extent that they've funneled talent from Columbia. They had a bit of bad luck with the injury to their young DP.

Ismitje repped this.
  6. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just checked out the L.A. Boards and many are going ape-shit over the idea of bringing Ronaldino to L.A. some even wanting to let go of Beckham and Donovan to save their season.
    Sad thing is it could happen, won't save their season but may save the pride of a few of the fools on their boards.

7. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, if Donovan does go back to Everton (as he should), picking up Ronaldinho would be easy to do with the open DP slot. I highly doubt it save their season, but it would keep fans showing up at least.

8. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Landycakes definitely needs to bail this summer and head back to Everton.

They already love him and he would fit right in to start the season.

Staying in LA right now would suck the soul out of any player.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Few things could happen:
    -Donovan and Keane leave for Ronaldinho and Del Piero
    -One of the two leaves with one coming in
    -4th DP slot!
    -Chivas magically takes Keane

11. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be inclined to believe the Chivas dumping-ground theory...but they've already got Angel and Agudelo.

Keane's the odd man out here, and he isn't working out.

12. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well supposedly Keane is homesick and Donovan does seem to have one foot out the door which would solve their DP issues. Honestly I kind of hope it happens and they get both players. It's not going to fix their defense, and I doubt they adjust well to the travel and physicality.

15 to 32 repped this.
  13. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
    Funny thing is that he was good last season. But I also get the impression that, after the Aston Villa loan, he wanted to stay there. Or at least get the extended "Beckham" loan. I think that that may have played havok with the locker room chemistry, which is already a delicate thing for the teams with the big name DP signings.

14. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree a little on Keane's performance last year...I didn't find him that impressive, but he did light it up in the playoffs when it counted i guess.

15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keane was good for his time last year. Four regular season appearances 2 goals 1 assist. And 1 goal 1 assist in the 4 games of the playoffs. 3G/2A over 8 games isn't too terrible. 3G/2A in 9 games this season so far. Maybe not the best production out of a DP forward, but it's not quite terrible yet.

Without looking I suppose it depends on how the production came about. Something like a hat trick or a 2 goal game means more games without a goal from him, but looking at the stats overall, it seems decent enough. And hey, Sabo has done more so far and costs about 3 million less. ;)

15 to 32 repped this.
  16. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah...you called me out on a very biased opinion...I admit it. I guess I got a sour taste with the feeling of a ringer brought in like that. I just have to accept that's how LA rolls and not be so bitter about it. Just fuels the hate. Love how competitive we are at reasonable salaries...and you do indeed bring up another reason to love Sabo.

17. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I also feel it's crap what they get to do and get away with. Especially how Chivas agreed to an injured Angel just so they could get Keane in the first place. Sadly it is what it is and I don't see it changing anytime soon. At least we get to watch their 17mil team sit in last place right? :D

18. Bulldog SLC

Bulldog SLC Member

May 4, 2012
    Salt Lake City
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's scientific proof that there is a God!!:thumbsup:

19. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sad thing is that Sabo and Morales count equally against the cap as will Del Piero and Ronaldino if signed by L.A.
    Cap hit for a DP unless slightly changed is like $325,000.00.

20. BalanceUT

BalanceUT RSL and THFC!

Oct 8, 2006
    Appalachia
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that the point of DP designations? The team still has to pay the salary. The contract is with the league, of course. So, the league almost certainly evaluates any signing to determine financial viability. RSL could only bring in a multi-million dollar player if it could show that the merchandise and ticket sales could offset it.

21. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still feels good seeing the highest salary team sitting last in the west and 3rd worst overall. :D

georg repped this.
  22. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point I am making is that the same 650,000,00 salary cap hit gets you two much more valuable players if your team owner is willing to spend the cash. Would Del-Piero and Ronaldino give your team more points than the combo of Morales and Saborio? Probably yes.

23. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cannot argue this point. Does not however make a complete argument against signing a DP player like Ronaldino if possible.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unak78 and Jasonma repped this.
  25. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're also talking about signing two guys that are at the end of their careers. It's not proven that they'd adjust to the league and travel schedule, and that they'd actually perform at their best. They very well could mail it in like many dp's have prior. Not only that, but you'd need to make sure they'd actually fit into our system. Some of you are already up in arms about a player scoring a goal every other game. You think you'd be fine with someone making 2+ million and not doing better?
    It's already been shown many times that having dp's on your team doesn't make it any better than without.