Other Team Discussion Thread Vol. 12: Spoilers Within

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Sachin, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry for using a different word. Is it ridiculous for me to complain since I was born and raised here?

2. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    In my opinion, yes

3. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So then it really isn't about where someone is from. You just think its ridiculous for anyone to question how much attention the Skins get. I suppose I'm not particularly complaining about it really, but I do think its out of whack even given what I know about this town and the Redskins.

4. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it is ridiculous for locals to criticize the Redskins. I do think it is in extremely poor taste to make fun of RGIII's injury. To take delight in any athlete's misfortune, whether you hate the team they play for or not, is incomprehensible to me.

Oveki8, The Cold Sea and John L repped this.
  5. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree.

6. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I wish neg rep still existed.

Ovi is engaged, been playing for months and in shape. John Wall is fat. He needs a stable relationship to stay out of the clubs and get in shape.

[​IMG]
    Here is a before and after...
    [​IMG]
    I don't buy the couldn't do cardio excuse.

7. nobletea

nobletea Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 29, 2004
    HarCo
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no dog in this one, so maybe I'm not aware of the subtext, but I agree with this.

When I saw it, I thought it was clever. Sucks for him, and for fans, but I didn't really think of it as mean spirited.

It's not like people were cheering about him being injured. Maybe I don't get it.

fatbastard repped this.
  8. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some people love to over-react and get their panties in a bunch, especially over funny stuff for some reason. [not-nice rant about these types of people deleted].

More power to ya' for feeling more human or something if you lack a sense of humor - but that was damned clever and if Ben Olsen's name (or Dwayne DeResario's or Pontius' to bring it back to this century) fit nicely into a funny little graphic like that, I would have laughed at it too. Hell, I follow @BenOlsensAnkle on twitter.
    But - I will bring purses and fake pearls for y'all to clutch at the first DCU tailgate if it bothers you so much.

9. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    They're in a relegation battle and really need Nelsen. If Payne has to buy out his contract file this under disaster.

10. The Cold Sea

The Cold Sea Señor Mejor

Feb 17, 2005
    The District
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Exactly. The Redskins are the team in this town that represents the biggest most successful sports league in the history of this country. There will be saturation.

11. benni...

benni... BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Reported the RG111 pick?

I dont get it. -----------------

Anyway...

Thought this was funny. Seeing how we did Salihi...

12. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    Im an RGIII fan and most definitely a Redskins fan. As far as Im concerned, this is MY area.

But even I cracked a smile at the pic. Its NOT that serious. He will be back.

fatbastard repped this.
  13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Hopefully for the 2014-2015 season...

Virginia Beach has somewhat officially backed out of bidding for the Sacramento Kings while it looks like an arena will be built in Seattle that also hopes to be home to a NHL team. Seattle Kings could work without a name change.

14. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you serious? I see fans of the Washington Professional Football Team take shots at the Nationals all the time -- often because they're fans of some other baseball team.

This mantra, oft repeated here, that people who live in the DC area and are fans of one of its teams are somehow obligated to be fans of the rest of the DC area teams was already absurd, but is starting to be over the top.

15. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You're probably hoping [if you're not a redskins fan, that is]

16. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so i posted that picture with NO comment whatsoever, just to see the reactions. butthurt skins fans who cant see a joke make me laugh :)

17. benni...

Nov 23, 2004
    Chocolate City
    You must be a cowboys fan in Virginia then?

18. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    correct. one who HAS been to Dallas. (i was born there)

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I thought he was going to be a Denver fan this week. He'll probably break out his Tebow jersey when he realizes the playoffs are going on and Denver is in them.

The Cold Sea repped this.
  20. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now that the seahawks beat the washington *slur removed* i am off their bandwagon... the broncos bandwagon looks comfy!

21. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris --Remember two years ago, during the 2011 season, when we were looking pretty solid and were likely to make the playoffs for the first time in years when Pontius went out for the season with injury and everything then went down the shitter? Remember how frustrating that was? What would your reaction have been then, if someone then posted a joke image here about Pontius' injury? Would you have laughed? Or would that have seemed like rubbing salt in a wound, and would you have said in response, "hey, ******** you, buddy"?

I think most people here would have taken the latter course, and understandably so.

I'm by no stretch of the imagination a fan of the Washington Racist Nicknames. But the reaction of that team's fans here are predictable and understandable and, I think, would be generic to fans of any team in the league -- or any team in any sport, for that matter, but especially ones that experienced the first good thing they've had to experience in years, only to have it abruptly turn into complete shit for them.

22. greatscott

greatscott Member+

Dec 21, 2002
    Richmond
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    everyone.. maybe I should be the first to say "welcome to the internet!"

23. greekchampion04

greekchampion04 Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All completely true, but this is not a Redskins forum. Also, we are all sick bastards and if it was DCU related, we would laugh at that sort of gallows humor.

24. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Anyone who was on these boards during 2010 can attest to how much gallows humor was around.

We're done with this topic now, right?

Barbieri repped this.
  25. Bootsy Collins

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gawd I hope so.