Other MLS games and Teams/Players [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by UcIceD2011, Jul 22, 2012.

1. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Why, my god, why? If you look at websters.com under the entries "insufferable," "pompous," and "ass" you will see a picture of Piers each time.

Berks, jmaestro and The Cadaver repped this.
  2. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is only a tangentially related rant...but, why foes Fox Sports seem intent on making sure you can only watch one Champions League match on each game day? Even if you can train yourself not to look at the ticker and at the bottom of the screen and avoid the half-time update, they will flash the score from the simultaneous match in the scorebox of the game you're watching! My favorite has to be the time I tuned in for the second airing of a CL match, and they put the final score in the ticker at the bottom in the 8th minute. I mean, seriously?

It's not like the CL knockout matches have any effect on eachother, so I'm not sure what the purpose of minute-by-minute updates are to begin with. And with the advent of DVR, I doubt I'm the only person that records multiple matches. It just seems to spoil any chance you might want to actually go back and watch the other match.

Berks and galaxydeadhead repped this.
  3. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    BigSoccer :)
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other news, I've always been slightly upset we never tried for Bedoya when we had a chance. There was one stage when he was between clubs when I think we could have signed him. By European standards I don't think he's amazing but he's a solid pro. He's had a good time in France at a rather small club.

4. jmaestro

jmaestro Member+

Mar 27, 2008
    Bakersfield
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh come ON, you have to be kidding me. I don't care whether you agree/disagree with him on politics, he's just an annoying blowhard. Blah.

Berks and dashiel repped this.
  5. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    His hypocrisy over Wenger this year has been hilarious, though entirely expected given he spent almost two decades as a bottom-feeding tabloid “writer” then “editor”.

Pre-season: "Wenger out!"
    Signed Ozil: "Wenger’s a genius now that he’s listened to what I said he should do!"
    Arsenal top of the league: "In Wegner we trust"
    Cut to 4th place: "Wegner out!"
    When someone points out his earlier pro-Wegner stance: "You’re a muppet who doesn’t understand sarcasm, I never supported Wegner"

[​IMG]

Beirut and The Cadaver repped this.
  6. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
  7. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    Geneva repped this.
  8. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ragbone repped this.
  10. 7E23

7E23 Member+

Jul 7, 2008
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With a big dirt mound in the middle!

11. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grounds keepers can remove and reinstall a pitching mound relatively easily. I have not been inside the latest version of Yankee Stadium, but sight lines at a baseball stadium generally suck for soccer. But, clearly, they want to get the show on the road as soon as possible, which is understandable. and since one of the co-owners has this stadium it makes sense to use it.

12. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    All we need now is for Beckham’s Miami to play in a high school football stadium and the league will have regressed almost completely to the dark days when MLS was definitively a second-class sport. I think the league sees Seattle as a model rather than an outlier; maybe they’re right, I sure hope they are.

13. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't the Orange Bowl available? Last time I was there it was a big step up from RFK, for example. Maybe not the long term answer but far from a HS stadium.

14. L.A. Native

L.A. Native Member+

Aug 1, 2013
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Atlanta's new stadium is planned to have turf? :mad:

15. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not MLS but awesome.....

[​IMG]

16. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    I’ll revisit the opinion when he’s aged a bit and can’t rely so much on his speed, but I’d love to see Bale bombing down the flank for LA.

17. TruffleShuffle

Dec 7, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as they say... speed kills
    getting run past is a pretty helpless feeling

18. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not just speed though, he probably has the most cultured left foot I've seen since Maradona and I saw him live weekly in Napoli. People underrate his finishing ability all the time but that wasn't an easy chance. Some of Bale's best attacking play he's not running fast or using his strength. The amount of things he can do with essentially one foot is incredible.

[​IMG]

skydog repped this.
  19. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, ATL is confirmed as team 22, starting play in 2017. Color me skeptical given a sports culture that supports NFL, SEC, and not much else. But if Arthur Blank can make it work there, it has to be an asset for any national TV contract negotiations. With ATL, Orlando, and Miami, a nice setup for SE US coverage. Also means that the West Division is going to get a couple of transfer squads. KC probably, Houston to keep the Texas rivalry in tact - maybe.

Or maybe they will go the hockey route and divide the league into 3 or 4 divisions. Fun times.

dashiel repped this.
  20. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    So ATL is official huh. would loved to have seen a team in St. Louis.

21. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No owner stepped forward willing to foot the bill in St. Louis. A really good sports town, but the economy has hit them harder than a lot of other areas. From an historical perspective, St. Louis and US Soccer go together hand in glove, but there is no room for sentiment in the MLS expansion decision process.

hav77 repped this.
  22. TruffleShuffle

Dec 7, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    totally agree - he's got skills to go with it. at the risk of starting another athleticism vs skill debate, being able to just run past people when you need to is a very nice option to have in the bag.

23. TruffleShuffle

Dec 7, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    count me in as skeptical about ATL as well. i think MLS liked how SEA, POR & VAN came into the league together and instantly had a geographical rivalry going. they're trying to replicate that with MIA/ORL/ATL.

24. SoCalYid

SoCalYid Member+

Jun 11, 2011
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3074 SoCalYid, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
    It's a good option but skill and technique always outweigh just athleticism. There's plenty of players that can outrun Barca right backs but having the presence of mind to attempt that move, technique to execute it and ability to finish is very difficult. People often get enamored by the athleticism of Bale but he's so much more than athlete.

Actually that goal I've seen it before from a MUCH slower player, Berbatov. Not only is Berbatov slow but he actively doesn't try to exert himself. Still that skill and football intelligence has always compensated for that. Berbatov does a lot less running but it's nearly the same goal.

https://vine.co/v/hL2umqQ9jpp

25. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    The 89th-92nd minute of the Chicago/New England game may have been the craziest I've ever seen in MLS.