OT: Solidarity with the Sacramento Kings

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Apr 14, 2011.

1. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I heard about that. It wasnt housewives though..the whole premise was that they would be Silicon Valley entrepreneur/VCs by day and party animals by night.

i think this would kill any professional credibility anyone would have. maybe someone from LA is desperate enough though.

2. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, thanks for the clarification. Wonder if Larry Ellison will want a part in this?

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
  5. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard a single thing about this rumor, and I live in Sac. Where did you hear this?

6. gilmoreaz

gilmoreaz Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Peoria, Arizona
    The Coyotes are owned by the league who desperately want to unload them. Seattle has been in the press as an option as someone there has expressed an interest to buy and relocate the team. This has been news here in Phoenix for 4-5 months now.

7. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well Glendale barely held on to them last year when Winnepeg was trying to get a team. Would not shock me to see the Coyotes finally move as the reasons they've been on the block before still exist and have not improved any... local interest is still low and their attendance (or lack of it) reflects that. The only reason they haven't been moved yet is that Glendale is using the, "we built you an arena" card fairly effectively. But fact is building an arena essentially in the middle of nowhere was a bad idea.

It would be like if we built the Epicenter in Morgan Hill (only worse) and were then surprised when attendance was bad...

8. 760Epicenter

760Epicenter Member

Apr 15, 2008
    Level 1
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I don't think that analogy holds up too well.

I think it's more like RBNY and the NY Jets/Giants. They built a stadium way out there, thinking that the fans would show up like they do for the football team, only to learn that it was hardly the case. A lot of Phoenicians I have talked to wondered if the attendance would be better at the US Airways Center. People from Mesa and Tempe wouldn't mind seeing a Suns game because of the light rail.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. They never should have left downtown. And I think they'd do far better IN downtown (maybe even good enough to justify them staying in Phoenix). But fact is they're not moving to downtown now or in the near future is not happening. And there's no guarentee that it would improve. Winnepeg has proven that moving a team out of a questionable market that hockey probably shouldn't be played in to go back to Canada (or close to it as the case in Seattle would be) is a no brainer. Frankly I give the Coyotes 3 years. They'll be in either Quebec or Seattle after that.

10. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I don't see the NHL wanting to move into Seattle after NFL, MLB, MLS, NBA and NCAA have set up camp. It's not that big, nor does it represent the entire Pacific Northwest like some boneheads seem to think.

11. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I agree. I think Quebec City is a far more likely option for the NHL. However the NBA and Seattle make a ton of sense. Particularly when you consider if they don't move a team into Seattle soon the league owes the city of Seattle around 50 million dollars in Sonics payoff cash.

12. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That'd certainly be unfortunate. :(

It'd be better for Seattle get an expansion NHL team than a relocated one.

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

13. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    theres multiple NHL teams that could be on the move next offseason actually. Coyotes are only the real slam dunk as i understand. Theres many others too though; basically anything in the southeast is up for grabs. Devils, Islanders are also in there too. Seattle has the means to play ball on an NHL team.

Why would Seattle not look at New Orleans first?? theyre basically the Phoenix Coyotes of the NBA; theyre a black hole. If sacramento does the business on an arena by end of this month it shouldnt be an issue. if history is any indicator though thats a big if. If Sacramento cant sort it out this time around, theyre dead man walking.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry but for once I can't agree. The NHL, like the NBA, is already overextended. They've diluted their talent pool far too much with recent expansions and both leagues are not in cities that aren't supporting them well (NHL more than the NBA). Expansion is neither needed, nor desirable at this point. Relocation of poorly placed teams is the better option no matter how distasteful the idea might be to Quakes fans. Phoenix is currently one of those cities be it due to poor arena location in the market or a problem with the market itself. Atlanta was another one (and one that has since been rectified with a far superior location and situation in Winnipeg). Arguably Florida and Carolina are two more (basically all of the NHL's "sunbelt" experiment teams are having issues to one extent or another with a few exceptions like San Jose and Tampa).

And I agree on Sac, OWNED. If they don't make this parking scheme work (and there's no guarantee they do given it has to go to vote and does take funds that currently go to the general fund) then they're done. Anaheim is ready and waiting, and if Seattle can get something together (and don't pick up the Hornets first), then the Kings could be heading north as well.

Another oddity of note however is the "Cleveland Browns/Earthquakes" problem that moving an established team into Seattle raises. The Sonics history is currently being held for use of whatever team moves into Seattle. An expansion Sonics would obviously not be an issue just as the expansion Quakes and expansion Browns weren't in Cleveland. But moving the Hornets or even worse the Kings to Seattle means suddenly 67 and 23 years of history respectively would vanish and be replaced with the Sonic's 40 year history as far as the club were concerned. Even worse is the fact that the OKC Thunder (ex-SuperSonics) also still claim ties officially to the Sonics history. Meaning we'd have two NBA teams with history dating back to the formation of the SuperSonics and some current franchise's history would be thrown into the circular file never to be seen again. Which frankly is another reason to favor the Hornets over the Kings. The Hornets history is far shorter and far less distinguished than the Kings so it would be far less of a loss when they end it.

15. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    boom. nearly done. very nice :cool:

17. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is all now forgiven between the Sacramento Kings fans and the Maloofs (just curious)? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

18. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To their faces anyway...

19. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't particularly like the Maloofs, and think they should have sold the team a year ago. But they've stepped up. Gavin Maloof is the better of the brothers, with George being the primary force behind wanting to move.

This is big for Sacramento. HUGE. The future of the city and region hinged on getting a new sports and entertainment complex.

Talk about a fantastic week for me regarding my teams' new homes!

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now if only Bud Selig would open up San Jose to the A's we can complete the quadfecta.

21. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea. Except I'm not an A's fan. More power to SJ though :)

22. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too many nice things happening around here.

We're going to get that 8.0+ quake if that happens... :eek:

23. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm back in SD until summer and they already had a 7.2 in 2010... :D

24. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you guys think the BANANA (Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything) faction was strong in opposition to the Quakes stadium, you have no idea what the opposition to a new arena has been like up here. There has been loud opposition from NIMBYS, anti-taxers, the "rebuild it in its current location or nowhere at all" people, the "I hate the mayor so I will oppose anything he does" people, the basketball haters, and your general anti-progress people. You can hop on the Sacramento Bee's site on any article involving the arena and see the mass chaos. Looks like things today are a little more positive, thank goodness. Should be noted, this is in no way a done deal just yet.

25. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As in San Jose, so also there are BANANA schizos running around trying to turn back the clock to the good ol' days.