OT: Solidarity with the Sacramento Kings

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by OWN(yewu)ED, Apr 14, 2011.

1. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Cheers to Sacramento and ******** Anaheim forever...

2. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More good news for Kings fans. Mark Kriedler is reporting that

"Rob Stutzman confirms his group cruised past needed sigs to force public vote on Anaheim bonds. Collecting plenty extras now in case of DQs.

Rob already has sent letter to NBA explaining exactly what this means: $75 mil bonds now cannot be issued until public approves."

Which means there will now need to be a public vote on the required bonds needed for the Kings to move into Honda Center. The city cannot just "issue" them anymore. And the next scheduled election in Anaheim is June 2012...

3. SJAnfield

SJAnfield New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    San Jose
    Very cool

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another reason why it's looking like the Kings could very well stay in Sacramento is the hardened opposition from the owners of the Lakers and Clippers for another NBA team to relocate into their market.

If they're successful in keeping the Sacramento Kings put, that'll also mean that it'll thankfully be much less likely for the vaguely-rumored possible purchase and relocation of the New Orleans Hornets to San José (intruding on the Golden State Warriors' market) to actually occur. :thumbsup:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

5. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I get the feeling that the NBA would have rubber-stamped the move it were a better deal in a better destination, but Anaheim was a poor choice. In addition to whatever problems exist on the financial side, it has natural opposition from the two LA teams as well as any other team that wants to avoid setting a precedent of teams moving into existing NBA markets (Warriors and Bulls would be two such examples).

So for now if they don't move it would be a 1-year reprieve where either the Maloofs can come up with a more attractive moving scheme, or the situation in Sacramento can get sorted out.

6. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On that note, why do you mention the Bulls? I know the Lakers/Clippers don't want another team in their area, namely Anaheim/Orange County, and the Knicks and Nets the same--especially when the latter transfers to New Jersey back to New York Brooklyn in a few years, leaving open Newark (where the Nets currently play)...

The Warriors do have an issue if a team moves to San Jose. But the Bulls? I know Chicago in theory could support 2 NBA teams (like they do with the Cubs and White Sox, and in the past with the Bears and Cardinals before that team left)...

7. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's been a little bit of rumor about somebody buying the Hornets and moving them to Chicago. Almost certainly won't happen, but I'm sure the Bulls won't want to set a precedent.

8. Domination7

Domination7 New Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Kings leaving Sac would be a shame. I don't follow the NBA closely and my team is GS whenever I do watch. But the Kings have great fans and get a lot of support.

And the LA market doesn't need a 3rd team.

The Maloofs are douches.

9. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting and thanks... don't think they will move to the United Center (where the Bulls play), but there is a second venue called the Allstate Arena (aka the Rosemont Horizon) home of DePaul and the WNBA Sky where they could have a second team in theory.

A longshot there but that shift could set a precedent, as would having three teams in LA and NY. If I have a hunch the Milwaukee Bucks could also raise a stink if a second team were to head to Chicago. If anything, the Hornets could be heading to either to San Jose, or maybe Seattle--which is still wanting a team after the Sonics left. Looks like the Kings/Royals are staying up but stay tuned--the bigger issue is the CBA (and the NBA is watching the NFL to see how their deal pans out--unrelated but significant given how the small-market NBA teams are in red ink).

10. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^This. Built-in fanbase in waiting. The success of the Sounders alone ought to make any potential investor take notice.

11. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It means a lot to get support from our Bay Area brethren in keeping the Kings here. NorCal must stick together, especially when SoCal is the opposition.

12. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I remember the league took over the Hornets, and Ellison of Oracle got rebuffed in getting the Warriors. If he wanted to bring the Warriors to San Jose he would run into opposition.

The only issue for Seattle is the arena, which is why they left for Oklahoma in the first place despite the venue being refurbished in the mid-1990s. Who ever ends up getting a team there will have to resolve that first. Otherwise I'm thinking when the NBA goes to 32 teams, Seattle will be first in line.

13. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you mean if Ellison wanted to bring the Hornets to San Jose? ;)

In any case, Joe Lacob (one of the Warriors' two majority owners alongside Peter Guber) stated in a recent interview that along with the record $450 million purchase of the team came a 75-mile territorial rights rule that obviously covers the entire Bay Area and that Warriors ownership would vigorously fight any proposed intrusion of it.

God forbid that any team gets relocated anywhere, but if an NBA team does end up getting relocated to Seattle, would it get renamed the Seattle SuperSonics? :confused:

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! [​IMG]

-G

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it would. The Sonics history, trophies, etc... were taken by the Thunder, but if they get a team in a set period of time (either 5 or 10 years, I can't remember which one), then those records, titles, etc... get returned to Seattle for the new Sonics. Sound familiar?

As for "god forbid moving a team", I used to think that until I saw what is hopefully going to happen in Phoenix with the Coyotes and learned the history of their franchise. In that case I wholeheartedly support stripping Phoenix of their team and sending them to Winnipeg since that's where they were originally from. Winnipeg would be getting back their original Jets team back 15 years later (not unlike the Raiders back to Oakland) from a city in Phoenix that has never supported them very well more often having crowds like this...

[​IMG]

Than sellouts. Sure they report 12,000 average attendance, but they've also been accused of being the biggest attendance fudgers this side of the early MLS.

15. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Phoenix plays way out on the edge of civilization. Only El Jefe would argue that it doesn't affect their attendance.

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bite me, Anaheim. [losing]

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    makes me happy to see this. Quakes fans dont to be reminded not to take anything for granted. Just would have really sucked to see it happen all over again. Seeing em move to socal would have just been salt in the wounds. Even if you dont give two shades about basketball......you know thats just the right thing to do; being against something like that. the fact that someone actually even conceived such an idea is beyond reprieve.

Kings fans know what they gotta do now though. This is clearly their last chance, they cant mess around anymore.

19. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Of course it's viable. I remember nothing but sellout crowds when I followed them . Hell, the Kings would probably be a multi championship team and still bringing in those crowds if it weren't for illegal referee betting, match fixing and pure incompetence from the top. Although I can no longer stand to watch a basketball game because of all that, I do hope Sacramento keeps the Kings. If only bad owners could be ditched as easily as bad players.

But truth be told, any city that isn't LA that has a basketball team should be worried about something like this happening. It's the only American pro league I know where those in charge actually get upset when Boston or LA aren't in the final.

20. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone posted this elsewhere this morning. Thought it was a funny piece :)

[​IMG]

22. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks I meant that... very much any team but since the league took over the Hornets and all the buzz regarding the team--it's rife for Ellison (though of course--rather see that team stay in New Orleans--they've been hard on their luck since 2005)...

23. SJAnfield

SJAnfield New Member

Jul 2, 2004
    San Jose
    Interesting article coming out of the Bee:

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/04/23/3573282/sacramento-kings-status-a-mystery.html

Traces of doubt coming from Anaheim:

http://www.ocregister.com/sports/johnson-297631-nba-sacramento.html

Seems the Maloofs don't even know the status of their team. NBA seems ready to give Sacramento another chance, and Anaheim is starting to deal with the reality they probably wont be hosting the NBA next season.

The Maloofs are still fighting to move the team, but it seems the NBA has seen through their bullsh!t. With the recommendation of the relocation committee to stay in Sacramento, Jerry Buss and Donald Sterling campaigning for the relocation to be denied, and the city bonds being forced to the ballot (which will never pass in conservative Anaheim) the Maloofs are joking themselves if they think they will be playing basketball in SoCal next season. Now it is up to Mayor Johnson and city officials to get a new arena built fast.

the relocation was a piss-poor attempt by the Maloofs to get bailed out of self inflicted crushing debt, and after a strenuous campaign, I feel Sacramento may have convinced the powers that be that they are at the mercy of incompetent, spoiled brats, and deserve another chance. I know its not over, but I feel positive about the future of the NBA in Sacramento tonight.

24. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States