Oscar - Could he be the man rather than Neymar

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Englishsoccer, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Englishsoccer

Englishsoccer New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
  2. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Very good article. as much as we Brazilian fans hate to think about this ,it is a good idea to have in case Neymar doesn't make it to the World Cup due to injury. Don't forget we also have Robinho for that role as well!!

3. Englishsoccer

Englishsoccer New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Robinho. I wouldn't really want to rely on him. Does he ever perform in the big games. What do you think the chances are of Kaka and Ronaldinho making the squad?

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Hopefully Ronaldinho's chances are zero. Kaká's chances are improving thanks to his last few performances but are still tiny. Scolari would have to decide he needs a different sort of back-up than he's been picking for the midfield so far or that his resurgence (if it continues) is so huge that it merits a call-up.

I can see Kaká getting a call-up in March to see if he can fit on the bench if Scolari is re-evaluating his needs.

Other than that I don't see either one making it and that's a good thing.

Englishsoccer repped this.
  5. Englishsoccer

Englishsoccer New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    As a big fan of the Premier League I'm hoping to see Paulinho there. Oscar will obviously be there and Luiz but what about Fernandinho at City and Lucas at Liverpool? Do you think Scolari has his squad already or there will be a few last minute alterations? (if there are injuries obvioulsy there may be some)

6. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Paulinho is a lock and, to follow the theme of this thread, another candidate for "the man" on this team. When Oscar is shut down Paulinho will be given freedom to link up and his versatility from deep in midfield is something we've missed for a long time.

Fernandinho however hasn't been called by Scolari and I, personally, do think the team is pretty much set. Maybe Scolari has an eye on him considering he claims to have a pool of 45 or so players, but it's hard to see him getting ahead of Lucas or Ramires (likely on the squad) or even Sandro (likely to be called in if injury knocks a midfielder out) when he hasn't played for the national team in a while.

Who knows though, maybe Scolari decides he needs more depth in central mid and calls in a surprise or two in the March friendly. Right now I don't see much more than Kaká as a new name on that March list though, we'll see if there are any bug surprises in 3 months.

7. Bakaman

Bakaman Member

May 8, 2008
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't think Oscar will be the "star" because he simply doesn't have the charisma of a protagonist, but I have no doubt that he will be very important. He is already one of our key players and I expect him to score quite a few goals because of the spaces opened by Neymar and his efficient finishing.

I believe that one of Felipão's greatest feats so far was the "responsibility distribution" (dunno the right term for this in english) within the team. During the Mano Menezes's era, all our hopes were centered in Neymar and Neymar only. That was a disaster waiting to happen, you just can't put so much pressure on the shoulders of a 21 years old player. Now we know that even though Neymar still is the main player, we can trust on Oscar, Paulinho, Fred, Thiago Silva, David Luiz...The team understood that every player has the obligation to do their best to win, and that made us that much stronger.

Today even if Neymar is marked out of the game by 2~3 players, we can still hope for goals from Oscar/Fred, from Paulinho charging late in the box, from Marcelo bombing forward...

8. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    No one expected Elano to shine last world cup. I don't think it improbable that Oscar shine.

9. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That's another player I miss is Elano, part of that great Santos team with Robinho & Diego!!

10. Englishsoccer

Englishsoccer New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    If Scholari was watching the Man City Arseanl game he might decide to give Fernandinho a friendly match to show what he can do? I'm sure he can offer more than Lucas?

11. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well Fernandinho has never been called up by Scolari so it's unlikely he's even on Scoalri's list of 45 players (after the last friendly it was reported that he has a list of 45 players he is considering or watching). When you consider that even on that list of 45 no one past 26 is likely to stand a chance unless something changes drastically, his chances are even smaller. And while you may not like Lucas, the fact that he has been on the team and knows Scolari's ways means he offers more than Fernandinho, at least until Fernandinho gets a chance to show he can fit in (he could be better than Lucas for his club and not fit in the national team).

But you never know, if he has an amazing season, anything can happen. Then again, this thread is about Oscar, and even if Fernandinho gets called up I doubt he's "the man" over my candidates Oscar and Paulinho.

Englishsoccer repped this.
  12. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And dont forget about Ramires either in that midfield order. He had a good game today for Chelsea! !

13. Englishsoccer

Englishsoccer New Member

Nov 14, 2013
    Club:
    Oscar with a tough tackle on Lucas and then a bit of a disagreement after in the Chelsea Liverpool game. Oscar should have got a red and maybe Lucas too for his reaction. Seem to be friends after!

14. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah that was pretty hilarious! ! But Willian was a monster for Chelsea today offensively and defensively as well!

15. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Paulinho is not only a lock, but an absolute starter.
    As to Fernandinho, the way he has been playing recently including man of the match repeatedly, and an integral part of the MC success, it is very difficult to ignore. So it may be very possible Felipao will call Fernandinho as an experimental, but at this stage, I doubt it.
    As to Oscar, I see Oscar as a key player leading the midfield with his brilliant play making, but taking the spot light from Neymar - I highly doubt that. Neymar is our superstar, and I have a very strong feeling Neymar will explode this WC.

16. NotreDameFlamengo

Jul 25, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Lebron is better than Bosh

17. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    My only fear for Oscar is that he will be tired from all those EPL games by the WC!!