Ortiz's coverage of international soccer.

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Jan 30, 2013.

1. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Don't see it as supporting a foreign country, people will support the culture they prefer, and their ethnicity. What is "country" anyway? An identity that has to be forced upon people in a geographic area? Throughout history, people have rejected identities that others have tried to force upon them. You should rethink "foreign country", especially when it comes to Tejas, California, etc. Why would anyone root for their conquerors?

Ortiz is not a traitor. He roots for his peeps, which is the right thing to do. More power to him.

2. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I root for

(Dynamo > USA >> Honduras > El Salvador > others > México )

I root for the US but I am first generation and my parents are both salvadorian, but my dad is half Honduran. He just happened to live his youth in El Salvador and I won't kid myself, salvadorian soccer is lacking.

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Were you rooting for the LA gunman yesterday as well? Do you have an Al Quaida supporter's scarf?

4. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    What league is LA Gunmen from? Never heard.

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  5. 1Coug1

1Coug1 Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    You’re implying he roots for Mexico because of their culture and ethnicity. Anyone, are these accurate reasons for why he supports Mexico? I couldn’t take anyone seriously who uses ethnicity as a deciding factor for anything.

7seven7 repped this.
  6. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Uh dude, Mexican is a culture and an ethnicity. However, it's not a racial category as Mexicans can come/fit in different racial categories.

1Coug1 repped this.
  7. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I'm very proud of my Scottish heritage and my Mexican heritage, and use my heritage as a deciding factor in who I root for in Rugby and football. I don't feel guilty. I don't necessarily support a team for my ethnicity (American). So I'm good right?

1Coug1 repped this.
  8. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Were you rooting for Adam Lanza? Do you have a KKK supporters scarf?

sidspaceman repped this.
  9. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Then there are millions worldwide you wouldn't take seriously.

Some could say that they couldn't take anyone seriously who uses forced geographic identity as a deciding factor for anything.

10. 1Coug1

1Coug1 Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Thanks, should have known the definition of the word before using it. Thought it meant only race. And I forgot to include *only deciding factor in my post. I'd rep you if I could.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So I can safely assume that you have never used a public service in your life from this "land of forced geographic identity". I can only assume then that you wouldn't have any issues if you were not allowed to use any government services, welfare, roads, vote, etc. because it was "forced geographic identity" that formed the state or country you are in.

12. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    The other big question for Ortiz is who is he going to root for in next month's World Baseball Classic? Since he's also a baseball guy, is he going to cheer for Mexico or USA?

13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he's pulling for the Republic of Clemens

14. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    One has nothing to do with the other, chief. But keep trying, it's cute.

Now I see why everyone says what they say about you.

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you went to school here, did you say the Pledge of Allegiance? Or is there a Pledge of Ethnic Allegiance they put in some schools?

16. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    lol. This conversation is moving along nicely.

17. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Yeah, it sucks that we had to say that. But as a kid, I didn't mind cos I didn't know about the racism and racist politics that exist. As an adult, I'd take a stand.

18. Grimmjow316

Grimmjow316 Member+

Jun 20, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    How about them PM's... >_>

19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A true patriot!!!!! Take a stand!!!!! Spit on the flag, too!!!!!

20. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    You need to open your mind, friend.

21. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should I join in just to get us another headline on BigSoccer? I haven't been as aggressive as I used to be on here....eh.... I'll save myself for later.

22. troutseth

troutseth Member+

Feb 1, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Nations, in many ways, have histories tied to arbitrary writings on a map. However, if you think that is the end of it, you are sadly mistaken. National boundaries, for good are bad have defined a set of shared experiences, a way of life, an economic standard, and frankly a culture. Would you argue that those of Spanish descent living in Mexico, El Salvador, Spain, etc all have a similar cultural background and upbringing? Of course not, experience both their own and their families have been defined by where they live and the country they call home. Interestingly enough, this ethnicity you speak of is defined by nations in many senses - because the further you traverse back in history the "fewer cultures" actually existed. So this "forced geography" as you put it actually defines much of the culture you wish to take a stand for.

I commend you for wishing to take a stand. However, as someone who fought for you to have that right and had friends die for that forced geography it saddens me that you seem to think it means so little. The cultural identity of a people is not so simple as as to put it into a bucket of historical ethnicity, or lines on a map. It is a loose set of ideas and experiences; some good, many bad; but something you believe firmly in. It is not forced geography, as there is simply nothing forced about the concept. If you wish to mock the nations flag because the pledge "sucked" that is certainly your choice. Just like it is the choice of others to believe that flag stands for something more and if you want to rest under her shade, every now and then it shouldn't hurt you to root for her colors.

23. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    blah, this is what westside wants. to remove football out of the conversation and to turn it into a conversation about other things mainly his 'agenda'. in the end its a game.

fk this thread!

24. SenorCool

SenorCool Member

Apr 10, 2006
    In a House
    Can we get back to hot news anchors, like this one!

[​IMG]

El Naranja and Levy2k6 repped this.
  25. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Trolled!!