Ortiz's coverage of international soccer.

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Jan 30, 2013.

1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    LOL!

2 things on the $1,000: 1) you don't have to be juvechelsea to realize that the current style Mexico is playing is aesthetically pleasing and 2) don't you still owe DonJuego a beer.

JC507 repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if the Dynamo played that style with a bunch of Scottish guys would Mexican fans come out? NO. You remind of the people at all of the Obama rallies who when interviewed about any specific Obama positions can't name one other than "Hope and Change".

3. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Daggers the Scot scored a brace for us and I know some Mexicans that were rockin' it that night!
    But I understand WC.

4. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me know when the US A team plays here so we can compare. This was deicedly not that.

And no, I don't count the various US v MEX games as "US" games (fun as hell though they were)

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a sad sight to see the empty seats at Azteca. And Judas Ortiz is playing the traitor role on twitter again.

6. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Ortiz is a ********ing clown.

redinthemorning and 7seven7 repped this.
  7. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    I don't care for Ortiz's writing because it generally lacks depth or meaning. Alot of his content is less objective, and less insightful than B. Fallas or other Dynamo beat writers as well as writers who cover soccer elsewhere. He writes in the voice of a fan boy often which really turns me off as a reader. Hsi writing doesn't really get me excited about the team.

I don't follow him on twitter. Because of his access to the team, Jesus does put out articles that are informatative occaisionally. I will say his preview coverage for the MLS cup was good (two pages and alot of graphics I think). Every now and then he has a decent article.

I am thankful the Chronicle still gives the Dynamo coverage but it is substandard due to the quality of writing. Maybe his writing in spanish is more artful and entertaining (is there a spanish Chron version?).

I appreciate that people who know him say he is a nice person but that doesn't change the fact that his soccer beat writing is poor.

7seven7, El Naranja, ImaPuppy and 2 others repped this.
  8. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ortiz is a joke, and I don't bother reading him at all. I find his writing amateurish, I dislike his love for that-other-team-not-the-US, and feel sorry for the Chronicle for not realizing that there are futbol fans who don't like the Chron because of Ortiz. On the other hand, I would have to agree that Ortiz has his followers in Houston. If his articles sell suscriptions to those fans, then I can understand why they keep him. I wish they had somebody else, though. I would take Bernardo over Ortiz.

International: In a city full of English and Dutch expats, whose pockets full of Euros with oil company bonuses could easily afford to buy the paper, the Chron ignores them. We --Latin Americans -- may not buy papers, but I suspect we would still click on chron.com if they offered better coverage from other countries. Is it really that expensive to buy articles from Colombia, Argentina, or Venezuela?

And while we are hating journalists, here's the one I dislike most. I make "the-dog-is-about-to-barf!" noises and run to turn off the TV everytime I hear Lauren Freeman's voice. Can't stand her.
    [​IMG]

If it wasn't for Dominique Sachse, I'd never watch NBC Houston news.

Attached Files:

10. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX

I'm sorry, did you say something?... I guess I was momentarily distracted by that nice smile :)

Levy2k6 repped this.
  11. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not that familiar with Lauren Freeman, but I can see why one might want to put her on television.

I miss Lisa Foronda myself. Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a hot news anchor thread.

Ortiz sucks!

12. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Ortiz is the epitome of evil in this world.

anderson repped this.
  13. Levy2k6

Levy2k6 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 19, 2010
    Section 129, Row A
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dear big soccer gods, please let this become a hot news girl thread.

redinthemorning, *rey* and anderson repped this.
  14. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not bad choices but I personally think Jennifer Reyna is queen of local anchor hotties.

*rey* repped this.
  15. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    What happened to her? Haven't heard anything about her recently since the story about someone stalking her. BTW, Chita Johnson from Channel 11 is also a hot-looking news anchorwoman.

16. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
  17. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you guys can bemoan the sparse coverage of Association Football in the Houston Chronicle all you wish, but it might very well be a case of "what you sow is what you reap".

Sometime ago, someone recommended visiting the Chronicle site and for the purpose of accumulating hits on the sports page dedicated to the Dynamo. Others have advocated never allowing their browser to visit the Chronicle.

Given the fact that the Chronicle has no idea of exactly what the likes are of those of us who subscribe to the print version of the paper (it's a Brooks tradition going back eons to read the newspaper while eating breakfast), it seems to me that they have to rely on web hits to gauge whether or not a particular article or subject is popular. Popularity translates into numbers which can then be offered to advertisers that people are actually reading the newspaper.

If an endeavor is not receiving hits, then I'd imagine that the bean counters would take appropriate notice and utilize the talents and resources dedicated to that particular endeavor to additional duties. The might even decide to dedicate less line inches to the subject matter, and reduce the taskings for stories on the subject.

Having watched the newspaper season of "The Wire", I consider myself fairly well versed in the operations of a major city newspaper, so I think I'm correct.

*rey* and The_Ponce repped this.
  18. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ^ Exactly. If y'all don't ********ing visit the Chron.com to generate hits for Dynamo articles then don't come here and bitch when they don't have articles. Same goes to those assholes that didn't attend the USMNT game but bitch and moan that the US doesn't play in Houston.

Quit your mother********ing bitching and do something about it!

*rey* and Heft repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So we should keep clicking on articles - and encourage others to do so multiple times - so that we get an increasing number and size of shi**y Ortiz stories? That's like the old Dennis Miller bit about blue-light specials at Kmart: "folks, two of sh** is still sh**, if they really wanted to f**k you they'd give you three of the things"

20. The_Ponce

The_Ponce Co-President of the United States of Dynamo

Feb 21, 2011
    Houston, Texas, U.S.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...either that or don't click and live in a city with less coverage. Eventually Ortiz will move on like the rest. If the Chron feels there are readers, they'll hire a legit replacement. If they don't see a readership, then we'll be stuck without coverage. Choose your poison.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only place Ortiz Is going to is the baseball beat but being Dynamo writer part-time and Astros writer part-time is easier.

22. Caddman

Caddman Member+

Aug 18, 1999
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lisa Foronda ftw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, blah blah, something about Ortiz, blah blah.

23. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]
    Chita

+

Mia
    [​IMG]

v.

Dominique
    [​IMG]
    and
    [​IMG]
    Reyna.

Cage Match to decide the victor.

24. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Web page hits are apparently very important for these kind of businesses when gauging if something is worth keeping. It's just one of those things that have come about with this kind of media.

Pity, but to be very honest I think the Chronicle is on the wrong track when it comes to being proactive with this kind of thing. It might work however, if any of you guys ever read the Chronicle and there is a mention of her, the comments sections just experiences a total overload.

[​IMG]

redinthemorning, NDS10, ChrizG13 and 2 others repped this.
  25. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The picture of Lisa kissing the Cup is probably the best picture involving our trophy. Ever.