Orlando Stadium Ideas

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by Macsen, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why can't they just renovate the Citrus bowl like is supposed to happen and tarp off the upper deck like seattle.

2. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, why can't they just do that?! why!?

3. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because of issues regarding the uncertain timing of a Citrus Bowl renovation. We've heard START times range anywhere from 2014 to 2018. As it stands now, the lower bowl seats about 15,000 while the mezzanine bowl seats around 30,000. And it will involve demolition of the bowl section, which would temporarily put us out of the Citrus Bowl anyway.

The best and quickest option for a prime stadium is an SSS. But current negotiations involve all options.

4. Goforthekill

Goforthekill Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Minnesota
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if OCSC gives some of that $175 Million so the renovation can be started quicker. in the mean time they can play at ESPN WWOS with some Temp seating in USL.

5. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they already have the money. The authorities are holding the money hostage to make sure they start the boondoggle PAC first.

And there are reasons we don't turn to Disney. Namely, it would be far more expensive, and even completely discounting the distance and inaccessibility factors, nobody local wants to go to a Disney-based team (it's why we don't have minor-league baseball anymore).

6. lugger

lugger Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    feeling too lazy to read the comments. Best part of making dumb comments. http://www.scoringthird.com/2012/03/if-i-had-million-dollars.html I'm guessing most people have read this. But tarping off the upper part of the end zone stands make it a bit more comfy than CL. Obviously the weird computer editing doesn't make it very appealing but ya know... I think this is the best idea.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just wanted to bump this thread since I noticed its had some errors from the change over.

8. Cyclonis

Cyclonis Forza Juve

Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Why would that be? Seems foolish to me. Disney could offer a gear deal to American Soccer.

9. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Distance (extreme SW corner of area) + traffic (I-4 between 528 and 417 is one of the worst in non-rush times) + the premiums (sure, no parking fee, but it costs $15.50 just to get into the WWoS complex - any team profit would have to be on top of that).

BTW: A deal has been reached to remodel the Citrus Bowl. The votes on the changes to DMP3 to accomodate an early 2014 start date will occur in early July. But it means Orlando City can't use the Citrus Bowl in 2014. Hopefully that will jump-start talk on an SSS, since there really isn't any other viable location for Orlando City anymore. Not as big as they've gotten.

If an SSS, or even a temp venue like Empire Field, could be erected for 2014, that could kickstart MLS expansion.

10. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rays, are you of the same mind as me, that Jacobs and Dyer passed that resolution for CB remodel but didn't really have MLS in mind AT ALL when they did the deal?

11. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Phil Rawlins cares. MLS doesn't want the Citrus Bowl. We have to accept that fact. And we'd be out of it when they remodel regardless.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh I've always accepted it. CB would have been a stop-gap for the SSS at best.

I just hope Rawlins comes out with news soon.

13. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Also, there was no room for an SSS in the deal regardless. That would require abandoning renovation of the Citrus Bowl, which I don't think would sit well with many. (Not that the renovation of the CB sits well with many, but...)