Orlando Stadium Discussion

Discussion in 'Orlando City SC' started by Macsen, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
  2. Quick25

Quick25 Member

Nov 9, 2010
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saw a little bit on channel 6 talking about the stadium this morning. It was pretty poorly put together sadly. Basically amounted to them implying the stadium would be $90 million all publicly funded, not public and private, with "quotes" from people saying they would rather see $90 million spent elsewhere. Awesome reporting.

3. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Orlando City released their economic impact study this afternoon with a press conference.
    20k stadium at a cost of around $100 million.

4. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is there a link? I saw some twitter activity on this and was hoping to find more info here.

5. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How quickly do you think someone would post a link? You know, reporters have to actually write stories before you can read stories.

6. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea when the press conference was? But I see on their twitter feed that they'll be putting out more info tomorrow AM. :)

7. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    it would be very nice if somebody put the whole presentation online like the Portland study was ... i bet there is some updated MLS data we'd all be interested in there ..

8. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Link!

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...ccer-economic-impact-20121009,0,1953267.story

I also like how he said MLS has all but promised them a team if they get plans for a stadium in place.

9. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Orlando City will have to fight the PR battle with clueless media regarding what a public-private investment is. Hopefully Jacobs and Dyer are fully behind it and will hopefully make it happen.

I didn't see it in the Slantinel or BizJournal, is there any talk of where the stadium will be?

10. Kickballer

Kickballer Member

Nov 2, 2010
    Orlando,Fl
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Scoring Third goes a little more indepth:
    http://www.scoringthird.com/2012/10/orlando-city-stadium-behind-numbers.html

Nothing about location yet.

11. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

i actually got a hold of the whole presentation and there is none of the insightful MLS detail like in the Portland study (I was hoping we'd get that same attendance, ticket price, revenue type detail only not from 2007 but rather 2011) ... and there really isn't any details about where the stadium would be.

i just did a quick pass thru, i will look at it in more detail later and report back anything interesting i find.

12. WorldGame

WorldGame Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Orlando
    A little bit of OC love in Steven Goff's Soccer Insider today in the Washington Post:

"*Is Orlando moving into prime position for MLS expansion? The Scoring Third providesdetails and insight. The league hasn’t had a Southeast presence since Tampa Bay and Miami folded after the 2001 season."

As an aside: in what appears to be indirectly Washington Post/Soccer Insider related news: the Orlando Sentinel appears to have hired Paul Tenorio, who (if it's the same guy) had been with Goff at the WaPo's Sports desk for the past few years and frequently covered DC United news... wouldn't it be swell if the good ol' Sentinel hired a new sportswriter on the basis of his soccer writing experience???

Incidentally: beginning in the new year, my BigSoccer handle will no longer be "WorldGame," but "OC Love" for home matches and "CityLove" for away matches and friendlies. Thank you.[/not really]

13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Certainly seems things are moving along. I guess we will get details on how much is private and how much is public in the near future. I can't imagine Orlando City will want more than maybe land/infrastructure, as well as concessions or one of this cool "enterprise tax-free zones" for the stadium area.

Did I read wrong, does Rawlins think he can use the Citrus Bowl, without renovations, when City starts in MLS? MLS will only let them use the CB if its renovated, right?

14. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    only for a short period of time and only if they have a plan for a SSS in place.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize that Orlando need options. I am just surprised that MLS would even let them temporarily use the CB. Its by far, older and crappier than Gillette, CenturyLink, Rice-Eccles or even Buck Shaw. Maybe the Galaxy playing at the Rose Bowl or NY playing at Giants Stadium would be the only comparisons. And even then those stadiums were/are much nicer than what the CB is currently.

I always assumed the refit of the CB and then a SSS was the plan. I guess thats not realistic. Well, whatever works I guess.

16. unclesparks

unclesparks Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's Orlando Sentinel finally picked up the Orlando going to MLS story and had a front page line to look it up on page 16.

Ok, so it was buried on page 16 but at least it's mentioned on the front page: potential $1.2B revenue for Orlando joining MLS.

Which was already mentioned days ago, but it's nice to know that while the Sentinel doesn't give a rat's ass about the US NT games and doesn't mention a single word about their games despite historic wins they do notice soccer when it poses economic gains for the region.

17. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The presentation of the impact study is now online.

18. fsufiji

fsufiji Member

Apr 6, 2010
    Auburndale FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still on track for MLS in 2015. We can only hope for a location and a stadium deal in the next few months.

19. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno.. There's a certain potential team up in New York that will probably prevent a 2015 entry..

20. Macsen

Macsen Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 5, 2007
    Orlando
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The most recent official MLS discussion on NYC2 said 2016. If Buddy hammers out a deal, you can best believe they'll work us in.

21. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i think people keep forgetting that there is more than one way to get an MLS team .... expansion is a choice ... but it is also possible to buy an existing team and move it ... just ask Houston.

and there is not a better time to buy and move than now because Chivas USA is ripe for such an attempt ... they are a pitiful failure on and off the pitch, essentially meaningless in their market compared to the Galaxy which given the size and glamour of the team can very well cover the LA market by themselves, and they don't have their own stadium so they wouldn't be abandoning a facility (which would be a non-starter since MLS doesn't want to be seen as a league that has facilities built in a market and then abandons them).

by buying and moving Chivas USA to Orlando that gives the league the flexibility to add NYC and still stay at 20 or even add another SE team (probably Atlanta) and stay at 21 (which is viable in a 3 team "conference" set up).

somebody needs to ask Rawlins if they've also explored the possibility of buying out Vergara who has already sold one of his soccer teams (the one he used to own in Costa Rica).

22. Scooter Pete

Scooter Pete Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Austin
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ridiculous. I can't imagine that anyone with the integrity and character of Mr. Rawlins would want anything to do with uprooting an existing franchise simply to further his own interests in Orlando.

Oh, wait....

23. nick p

nick p Member+

Jul 11, 2009
    Baltimore Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    good press conference for Orlando City

24. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

MLS has said the plan is for team 20 in NY to start playing in 2016. MLS has also said that after Team 20 they will wait before expanding again. Now all of this is subject to change, but it's difficult to believe that with all of the money MLSHQ has invested in Team20/NY2 that they'd expand in another market first, or shortly after.

WhiteStar Warriors repped this.